Served alcohol at the parks without being asked for ID

I went to WDW in April with my girlfriend and while I was there had my fair share of alcoholic drinks. But, across my week stay, I was only asked for my ID once and that was at Ohana during breakfast. I was 22 at the time and I have some facial hair but I don't nearly look like I am surely over the legal age. My girlfriend was only 19 and she (without thinking at all) went and bought a drink for me at one point at animal kingdom.

I remember (I think in January) there was a news story on the podcast where an underage guy got so drunk that the police had to come and pete was wondering how he was served at all on Disney property.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

That's really disappointing. Our experience has been different. Traveling with my DD (who is 22), she was always asked for ID when ordering a drink. I'm always glad to see that.

We have had the opposite experience. My daughter was 22 last year on our trip and she did not bring her ID to Ohana. They would not let her order anything. This was strange to us because we live in new Orleans and as long as parents are with you this would never be questioned. I had a drink and offered her a sip and the waiter came unglued. He was pretty rude about it actually. Said he could be fired, etc, etc. I was not upset with him- I could tell he was genuinely distressed on how it would affect his job. Just surprised.

I had a beer and a Grey Goose slush in EPCOT last month and wasn't asked... I think most people are on the fence about IDing me LOL. Everywhere I drank at Disney Springs DID ask me for identification though.

I'm 28 and they asked every time. DH bought most of the drinks, I don't know what his experience was

The question you need to ask is what is the FL law. That is what Disney must follow, at a minimum. Then, if they want to make it more strict, they can. I don't know what FL law is or what Disney's policy is.
I'm more than old enough. I'm never asked for an ID in FL. I am in TN, because of the way our laws are. No matter if you are 21 of 121, you must have your ID on you to drink. The way to know you have your ID on you is to ask for it when you order a drink. So everyone, no matter what your age is, is carded. I don't mind it really. It also takes all guessing off the server, or person selling the alcohol, no guessing, are they 21 or not. You just ask for ID, problems solved. I really don't get why it upsets folks so to have to flash an ID to buy a beer but boy does it. Nothing seems to make a 50 year old more angry than to have to show their ID to by a beer, I'll never figure out why. Anyway, by habit, I always carry my ID when I go out.

I've had two different experiences. One trip, every CM asked me for my ID whenever I ordered an alcoholic drink. My hubs and I were sitting in Territory Lounge one day on that trip and a young couple (probably mid to late 20s) came in and ordered a couple of drinks. They didn't have their IDs on them and the CM refused to serve them unless they went and got their IDs from their room. Then on my next trip, I had my ID in my hand ready to show every CM and no one asked me. I FORCED them to look at my ID when I paid lol.

I have worked for several companies in Florida that served alcohol (including Disney) and the general rule of thumb is that if you look under 30 you will be carded. Anyway, I have had similar experiences at the resorts with not being carded, but I always insist they look at my ID because you never know who is watching...:wave2:

My kids (25 & 30) are carded every time. However, the law in Florida does allow Disney to serve a single person 2 dinks at a time so it is still possible for someone underage to get alcohol if they are with someone of legal age (I only say this to give a possible explanation to the PP who mentioned the minor that was so drunk that security had to come and get them).

Being Canadian we're legally able to drink at 19.

My DD at age 20 ordered a margarita from Mexico while I was on a bathroom break and was served. She knew the FL/US law but she had vacation brain and didn't think about it. She had her ID ready because we get carded EVERWHERE here but wasn't asked for it.

Me being the the huge law abiding square of the family wouldn't let her finish it and since I'm a non-drinker it went to waste. :-)

Last edited:
I went to WDW in April with my girlfriend and while I was there had my fair share of alcoholic drinks. But, across my week stay, I was only asked for my ID once and that was at Ohana during breakfast. I was 22 at the time and I have some facial hair but I don't nearly look like I am surely over the legal age. My girlfriend was only 19 and she (without thinking at all) went and bought a drink for me at one point at animal kingdom.

I remember (I think in January) there was a news story on the podcast where an underage guy got so drunk that the police had to come and pete was wondering how he was served at all on Disney property.

We are asked every time. In our late 20s.

I'm well above legal age, and I'm almost never carded at WDW.

I did get carded at 'Ohana. The waitress sounded almost peeved when she handed back my license and said flatly, "Well, you look young." Like I was wearing this face just to fool her into thinking I'm younger than I actually am? :confused:

I live in NJ, in my early 50s, and still have to show ID in many establishments, especially the liqueur store in the local grocery store. They have a 100% policy. I've even been out with my mother in-law when she was carded.

The question you need to ask is what is the FL law. That is what Disney must follow, at a minimum. Then, if they want to make it more strict, they can. I don't know what FL law is or what Disney's policy is.
I'm more than old enough. I'm never asked for an ID in FL. I am in TN, because of the way our laws are. No matter if you are 21 of 121, you must have your ID on you to drink. The way to know you have your ID on you is to ask for it when you order a drink. So everyone, no matter what your age is, is carded. I don't mind it really. It also takes all guessing off the server, or person selling the alcohol, no guessing, are they 21 or not. You just ask for ID, problems solved. I really don't get why it upsets folks so to have to flash an ID to buy a beer but boy does it. Nothing seems to make a 50 year old more angry than to have to show their ID to by a beer, I'll never figure out why. Anyway, by habit, I always carry my ID when I go out.
I love when I get carded! In some stores, there will be a sign saying we card anyone who looks 40 or under. Even though I'm older than 40, I'm slightly offended when they don't card me...lol.

I still get carded at 27. I definitely look my age, plus had a game of thrones sized beard my last trip

I was carded everywhere last year and probably had a 4-5 drink a day average (adult trip and two nights of the Epcot challenge, judge me :D) and got carded every time.

My dad was 51 one one trip and was carded and didn't have it. (Mom had convinced him with Magic Bands you didn't have to carry ANYTHING). They would not serve him at all.
So I bought 2 and gave him one.

My dad was 51 one one trip and was carded and didn't have it. (Mom had convinced him with Magic Bands you didn't have to carry ANYTHING). They would not serve him at all.
So I bought 2 and gave him one.
In an example of how the business can make their rules more strict than the law at Universal they won't do this. At least in all our visits.
They must hand the alcohol to each person drinking it, 1 person can not be handed 2 beverages. Even to pass it to another person. It got quite annoying actually since I'd often stand off to the side while DH ordered but we learned that wouldn't work. I had to walk over and take the drink from the server myself. DH couldn't take it and hand it to me. They didn't need my ID but they wouldn't allow DH to take 2.

I still get carded all the time at home and I am 34. It amazes me when I get carded when I am sitting with my 12 and 10 year old kids, but I don't mind. That being said I don't think I have ever been carded at Disney World or Disneyland in all my trips.

My adult children and son in law, ages 23-27, all get carded in WDW. However, they also have their ID's ready before ordering a drink. We live in PA and most places card all the time, especially grocery stores which have a 100% carding policy.
On our recent trip we were all at a restaurant in WS and talking with our server who was from a country where the drinking age is lower than the U.S. and when he came here to work he was no longer of age to drink. He admitted that when people show him US ID's he doesn't even know what to look for half the time since every state has a different ID.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter