Served alcohol at the parks without being asked for ID

So last trip i just turned 38. I was at the bar of the restaurant in coronado springs, and had left my id in the room. ( I look every bit of at least 35 ) I turned around to go grab it from the room, then the bartender almost didn't let me order an additional beer for my husband ( he was 45 at the time). Needless to say, I was not happy. To me, this went beyond "just being cautious" . Oh, yeah, and I bartend for a living.

I find I'm carded more in the parks - specifically at Epcot in the World Showcase, which I attribute to pretty consistent turnover of employees because of the cultural exchange program.

I tend to go to the same bars outside the parks (mostly resort bars - like Hurricane Hannah's) to where the bartenders remember me, so I don't get carded there anymore.

I'm TABC certified here in Texas, so I know how strict and important it is for servers/sellers to follow the letter of the law because really and truly, one misstep can not only get you fired but here in Texas it can keep you from getting another job working as a server/seller.

That said, I never go anywhere without an ID. I have a state-issued ID (in addition to a DL, passport and passport card) that lives in the small wallet I take everywhere - even the beach or pool. I operate under the thinking that it's not the bartender's fault that they can't serve me a drink if I don't have an ID - it's my fault to assume that they would just take my word for it regarding my age (I'm 36). If I want a drink, I need to make sure I have what it takes to get a drink. I mean, you wouldn't go up to the pool bar without your MagicBand, cash or a credit card to get a drink expecting they'd just give it to you on good faith that you'll eventually pay for it. Same difference.

As a small town girl I can't fathom a world where one didn't have to drive to go anywhere but if I did live somewhere where that was possible I think I'd have to get a state ID so I didn't have to carry my passport around. Maybe I just loose things more than others do

Yup. DS will never drive, he has a State ID I keep in my wallet. No way I'm carrying his passport everywhere, if for nothing else the high cost of replacing it.

We have even been told they can't serve us with out our IDs even if we are over 30.

If you're carded and you don't have the card they can't serve you.

And how are they selling dining plan with alcohol availability to a minor??

?

Last time I checked, EMS/EMT/First Responders, and the ER never said, "Oh, we don't have a name, so don't treat this one."

Hospitals are pains in the butt until they get your ID and insurance info. It's not about treating, but about not bothering you until they get the info that they need.

Having that ID isn't the ONLY thing they have to have. I give up with this.

Attention everyone, from now on carry every form of ID you can find, sharpie your name, Ssn, blood type and insurance info all over your body (in case of arriving in pieces)---wait! Better tattoo! It's permanent on most body parts. Better include a next of kin name, address, phone and email too. And put those shoe tags and bracelets parents put on kids. Be sure to tell people in line this info as well, because you never know, maybe your belongings, clothes and skin will be separated from you.

View attachment 254536

OR we can carry our ID and insurance card like a prudent person who recognizes that accidents happen.

But go ahead and carry all that extra stuff if you like.

Since I do not drive (born and raised in NYC which makes me "special" in different ways, LOL) I always carry my passport wherever I am. This practice simplifies my life in case someone thinks I'm suffering from Benjamin Button-itis or they are blind.

I'd carry a state ID rather than a passport for that purpose.

I could purchase a state issued non driver ID but why pay the extra money if I've already a passport? Works to identify me wherever I go:).

The big expense ($135-$170), paperwork, hassle of applying in person and length of time it takes to replace your passport should you lose it, during which time you will have no ID. A state ID cost is minimal, NY @ $13 for 8 years. And to me the hassle of carrying something that big around, I'd rather a small card.

The big expense ($135-$170), paperwork, hassle of applying in person and length of time it takes to replace your passport should you lose it, during which time you will have no ID. A state ID cost is minimal, NY @ $13 for 8 years. And to me the hassle of carrying something that big around, I'd rather a small card.
While I don't have a passport this is how I viewed it would be if I did have one. A state ID seems like something that would be much easier to carry

While I don't have a passport this is how I viewed it would be if I did have one. A state ID seems like something that would be much easier to carry

Our passports stay in safe and are our backup ID, if we lose our regular ones. Those we can replace in hours for next to nothing. Replacing a passport is a bite. Luckily we are in a city with a regional office but it is a day long commitment to get on the spot, in addition to huge cost. Replacements can only be applied for in person, so if you aren't in a hurry you still have to make appointment with official at PO or wherever.

It's hit or miss for me. The only place on Disney property where I'm carded every time I get a drink is Raglan Road. When I drank around the world in Epcot in January, I think I was carded maybe twice all day. I always have my ID ready, though, because even though I'm 29, I'm routinely told that I look 18-20.

I was carded last WDW trip, and I'm way over 21, and I'm pretty sure I don't look like I'm under 30, either. No big deal to me. It's normal to get carded at ballgames/stadiums here in the NYC area, and most other places I've been, so I'm never surprised when a big corporation asks for ID for alcohol. I'm more shocked when the local liquor store asks for it.

Since I do not drive (born and raised in NYC which makes me "special" in different ways, LOL) I always carry my passport wherever I am. This practice simplifies my life in case someone thinks I'm suffering from Benjamin Button-itis or they are blind.

You can get a NYS non-driver ID that's way more safe than carrying your passport, and only $13 for 8 years. There's also the free NYCID, but it's not legal for alcohol, but I don't know if entities outside NYC would know that. I don't have one or even know what it looks like.

Who knew that using a passport as ID was so unusual, LOL?

It's as convenient to me as a driver's license and multi-functional to boot. I do a bit of traveling for business and pleasure so need it no matter the cost and think I paid about 70 bucks to renew it the last time which would work out to $7.00 annually. The one time since the late '70's to date that I misplaced it, got another in less than 72 hours but there's a local US Passport Agency here. If I lost it overseas there would be no lessening of replacement time if I flashed a state or municipal ID.

IrishNYC, I too have no idea what a NYCID looks like or where to get one:). What part of NYC are you in/from? Me, born in the Bronx, raised my kiddos in Park Slope, now living on the UWS and prolly on my way to Riverdale (we sold the Manhattan coop a few months back).

So you admitted your family did this and I am the "bad party" LOL!

Hmm....

I work in healthcare. I am so sick of having to identify john does.. We are even!

You were exceptionally rude about it, so yeah, in this case you are the wrong one. There are plenty of nicer ways to say what you said, or you could simply mind your own business. We don't live in a police state that requires the IDs on us at all times, so if someone chooses to go without, that's their choice. I personally wouldn't risk it, but you've got not right to demand that of me or anyone else.

Working in healthcare is noble, but it does not give you the right to boss people around or be rude.

Matt

I was carded last WDW trip, and I'm way over 21, and I'm pretty sure I don't look like I'm under 30, either. No big deal to me. It's normal to get carded at ballgames/stadiums here in the NYC area, and most other places I've been, so I'm never surprised when a big corporation asks for ID for alcohol. I'm more shocked when the local liquor store asks for it.

You can get a NYS non-driver ID that's way more safe than carrying your passport, and only $13 for 8 years. There's also the free NYCID, but it's not legal for alcohol, but I don't know if entities outside NYC would know that. I don't have one or even know what it looks like.

I think places outside of NYC would know because it just says on it New York City Identification Card. It also doesn't have a lot of the necessary ID requirements to be accepted as ID for alcohol, tobacco, flying, etc. To me they are pointless.

I don't drink so it's a non-issue for me but bottom line is everyone should be carded regardless of how old you are or how old you look. A blanket enforcement of this rule would eliminate problems.

Who knew that using a passport as ID was so unusual, LOL?

It's as convenient to me as a driver's license and multi-functional to boot. I do a bit of traveling for business and pleasure so need it no matter the cost and think I paid about 70 bucks to renew it the last time which would work out to $7.00 annually. The one time since the late '70's to date that I misplaced it, got another in less than 72 hours but there's a local US Passport Agency here. If I lost it overseas there would be no lessening of replacement time if I flashed a state or municipal ID.

IrishNYC, I too have no idea what a NYCID looks like or where to get one:). What part of NYC are you in/from? Me, born in the Bronx, raised my kiddos in Park Slope, now living on the UWS and prolly on my way to Riverdale (we sold the Manhattan coop a few months back).
It's unusual because most people would get a state ID vs a passport or they would have both. If you're traveling a lot internationally I get it but I would personally still get a non-drivers license.

FWIW currently to renew a passport it is $110 for just the application fee.

In an example of how the business can make their rules more strict than the law at Universal they won't do this. At least in all our visits.

and countries... universal singapore would let me buy 2 beers at a time.

It really is a good idea to carry an ID with you. Even if Disney said you don't need anything but your magic band. Just based on Disney stuff that isn't true. I need my DVC card for discounts and access to DVC perks. I need my annual pass for discounts. I need my TIW card. Might as well carry an ID too. They want to see the ID for discounts anyway.

Oh, and some cash, because computers crash.

They are not selling dining plan with alcohol availability to a minor. They are selling dining plans that include a beverage with your meal. When you order the beverage, an adult over 21 has the option of ordering an alcoholic beverage. A person under age 21 does not have that option. Up to the server to determine who is of the correct age to purchase an alcoholic beverage.

I'm 43, (the username is a clue) and I've never been carded in WDW but I do remember my first trip to Orlando in 1992 when I was 18 and my brother 16.
The age for alcohol in the UK is 18 and that's relaxed if you are with parents / responsible adults or having a glass of wine with food.
My 51 y.o. Dad was amazed to be carded in the hotel bar and we all had a thirsty 10 minutes while my brother had to run back to the room to get Dad's ID!

I also think WDW sometimes has issues with foreign guests who don't understand the US laws and that WDW must follow Florida laws and WDW's own rules. I remember being in the pub with a family from the UK who tried to pass a beer to their 19 year old when they had already been told that 19 can't drink alcohol in Florida. The bartender refused to allow this. I think if he saw them try it again he would have had to call security. From my understanding, if a guest ignores the warning and is caught giving alcohol to an underage party member, they will be removed from the park.

I am over 40. I was carded last time I was in USA. I quite enjoyed it! I do forget though, to carry ID (the only photo ID I possess is my passport, as I don't drive - I know some people struggle to understand people who don't drive, I struggle to understand people with no passport, I would feel panicked not to be able to go places) because being able to legally drink at age 18, and now being more than 20yrs past that, I don't always think of it. I will need to in WDW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter