• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Setting Camera for Focus?

AWilliams

Wishing on a star...
I've seen some great pictures where the main subject (person, animal, etc.) is in focus and the rest of the photo - or background - is out of focus. I was just wonder if anyone had tips/directions/settings for doing this?

My manual is a nightmare to read! I have the Cannon S2 IS and still have a lot to learn!

Thanks!!! Amy

That's what is called Depth Of Field and it's determined by the lens design and settings. Check your camera for a "portrait" setting on the dial or buttons. That will set the camera to make the subject in focus but blur the background. If you use a lot of zoom, the DOF (depth of field) will be shallow blurred background), conversely, if you use a wide angle, the DOF will be deep. It also depends on how close the subject is the camera. The closer the subject is to the camera, the DOF will be more shallow than if the subject is farther away.

You can go to website I posted and it goes into detail of how to use the camera. I got the same camera for Christmas and am still figuring it out. The website has pictures as it describes what you are doing. I actually printed the whole thing out so that I could read it at my own time. Hope it helps.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/101-e.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter