Sharing 2 Rooms Confusion

sistert

Mouseketeer
I have a hopefully simply (or at least easy enough to answer) question about having two rooms on the ship.

The Scenario:

My mother and I booked 2 rooms for a December cruise on the Dream. One room is in my name (room A), the other room is in hers (room B). Here's where things get tricky.

- The trip will consist of me, my mom, the DH, and his parents (we're taking his parents on their first cruise so it's only 3 nights); total of 5 people.

- My mom, DH, and I will share one room (room A).

- His parents will take the other room (room B).

The Questions: :confused3

As mom is the lead for room B but not staying in it, would she be able to get a room key for room A anyway? If so, how would her OBC work? Or would it just go to the DH's parents?

I suspect mom will just borrow my or the DH's room key if she's off on her own around the ship. The DH will be playing tour guide to his parents so he'll be with them the majority of the trip. Her OBC would remain her's so she'll just need to remember to charge on the right card.

Has anyone had a similar configuration; the person a room is booked under staying in a different room? I would think some of the parents with older kids might have done this. Thoughts, suggestions?

I have a hopefully simply (or at least easy enough to answer) question about having two rooms on the ship.

The Scenario:

My mother and I booked 2 rooms for a December cruise on the Dream. One room is in my name (room A), the other room is in hers (room B). Here's where things get tricky.

- The trip will consist of me, my mom, the DH, and his parents (we're taking his parents on their first cruise so it's only 3 nights); total of 5 people.

- My mom, DH, and I will share one room (room A).

- His parents will take the other room (room B).

The Questions: :confused3

As mom is the lead for room B but not staying in it, would she be able to get a room key for room A anyway? If so, how would her OBC work? Or would it just go to the DH's parents?

I suspect mom will just borrow my or the DH's room key if she's off on her own around the ship. The DH will be playing tour guide to his parents so he'll be with them the majority of the trip. Her OBC would remain her's so she'll just need to remember to charge on the right card.

Has anyone had a similar configuration; the person a room is booked under staying in a different room? I would think some of the parents with older kids might have done this. Thoughts, suggestions?

Yeah, we do this all the time. Whoever is listed in a particular room will get a Key to the World card FOR THAT ROOM. That card will have her OBC on it. She will have to use that for all charges, etc. HOWEVER, they will give her a blank card that can open the other door if you want. So she will need to carry two cards.....her KTTW card for charging, etc, and the other card to open the other door. Piece of cake. Anyone can get a key to open whatever room they are using. But the KTTW card stays associated with the room they are listed in.

ETA: Once you're on the boat, you can go to Guest Services for the new key cards.

Yeah, we do this all the time. Whoever is listed in a particular room will get a Key to the World card FOR THAT ROOM. That card will have her OBC on it. She will have to use that for all charges, etc. HOWEVER, they will give her a blank card that can open the other door if you want. So she will need to carry two cards.....her KTTW card for charging, etc, and the other card to open the other door. Piece of cake. Anyone can get a key to open whatever room they are using. But the KTTW card stays associated with the room they are listed in.

ETA: Once you're on the boat, you can go to Guest Services for the new key cards.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :banana:

One thing I don't think has been answered is the billing for the room and the OBC you want your mom to receive. I believe the way it is set up all of the room keys go to the same charge account. That is how it works for us with the kids. That would mean that her charges and your DH's parents' charges would be on the same bill and her OBC would be used for that total. I have read that you can go to GS and set up seperate CCs for each room key in one room. This is something you definitely want to do. GS on the ship would be the ones who could tell you if that OBC for the room can be only applied to your mom's bill.

Golly, for once, I actually disagree (respectfully) with lbgraves. The reason that all her charges go to her credit card is, as she stated, because they are charges from her kids and she or her husband signed a financial authorization for them.

Each KTTW card can be tied to a different payment source. The OBC will go to the lead name on the room as booked. Thus, even though your mother gets a "blank" key and sleeps in a different cabin, the OBC will stay attached to her KTTW card. I did this on my "teen" cruise--I took a bunch of teens for a graduation cruise. I was technically booked in the boy's room, but obviously slept in the girl's room. Each of us had our KTTW attached to his/her own credit card/debit card. I had MY KTTW for getting on/off the ship, charging, etc., but I also had a "blank" key to the other rooms (you can't get away from mom or pseudo mom.) The OBC went to me for the boy's room and to my DD for the room where she was booked which was exactly how we planned it.

DCL even made it easy--my "real" KTTW was the blue Goofy card, and the "blanks" were the white Donald card. It helped me keep them separate!

I'm so glad I read this thread. On our next cruise we have 17 people going and I'm boarded in one room with my 2 nieces and my DH is booked in another with my DD, I was wondering if I could get a key to his room to. I do think the rooms are connecting staterooms but not sure.
Anyway Thanks!:banana:

[QUOTE="Ginger";39991465]I'm so glad I read this thread. On our next cruise we have 17 people going and I'm boarded in one room with my 2 nieces and my DH is booked in another with my DD, I was wondering if I could get a key to his room to. I do think the rooms are connecting staterooms but not sure.
Anyway Thanks!:banana:[/QUOTE]

Don't know if this applies to you or not, but you don't have to have an adult in the room (from DCL's perspective) - if you want to share a room with your husband and are comfortable having the kids in the other one. I know sometimes the kids need to be supervised.

Don't know if this applies to you or not, but you don't have to have an adult in the room (from DCL's perspective) - if you want to share a room with your husband and are comfortable having the kids in the other one. I know sometimes the kids need to be supervised.

Just to be clear--you are required to have an adult BOOKED in each cabin, but DCL doesn't care who sleeps in which cabins. They are well aware that there are kids sharing a room without an adult.

I really like the fact that whomever is in my room can have an account separate from mine for charging.

Is this info correct ? Blank room key cards and ability to link a credit card individually to each person on a reservation? We are 5 adults where booking doesn’t equal sleeping arrangements. Can each individual have a separate credit card linked to their KTTW? Are blank room only keys still given to open doors? TIA

Is this info correct ? Blank room key cards and ability to link a credit card individually to each person on a reservation? We are 5 adults where booking doesn’t equal sleeping arrangements. Can each individual have a separate credit card linked to their KTTW? Are blank room only keys still given to open doors? TIA

This thread is from 2011 but I can say that Yes! As of the last week in January this was our experience....we had two cabins....me and a friend booked in one and my husband and friend booked in another. Once onboard I shared a cabin with my husband but since we were listed in different cabins we needed to get a blank key to the other cabin just for cabin entry. Any charges made, entry and exit off the ship in ports had to be used by the KTTW card that was issued in our name.

I set up charging for my husband and I when we did the online check in but that got messed up. Upon boarding I went to guest service and made sure my husband was linked to our credit card and not our friend's credit card. Same with them. They made sure they were both linked to their same credit card.

We periodically went to guest service to make sure the things we were charging went to the correct account. We would just get a print out for both room. It was a bit confusing at first but it all worked out OK.

Our printout would show my husband's and my charges on the same page even though we were listed in different cabins....next to each name it showed what cabin number we were booked in.

Here's the blank card:

untitled.png

MJ

Last edited:
Last year, we had 9 people (5 adults/4 kids) in 3 rooms. We had grandpa and two of the grandkids booked in his room and all 3 of them had different billing credit cards and each kid also had a blank key to their parents’ room. Some nights, different kids slept in different rooms. Disney is great about billing exactly how you want it.

Ahhh!!! So I CAN get into our kid’s adjoining room if they lock us out of the adjoining door!!! Excellent!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter