Shingles Vaccine (Shingrix)

True, but it also true that someone could have an extremely mild case of chickenpox and not know it. So a vaccination is still a good idea, even you think you haven't had chickenpox.

When I was young we were 3 kids in the family - myself and youngest got chickenpox. Middle kid got shingles at the same time.

Honestly, how serious is the shilgles thing? Is it lethal?

I am fine with vaccines for stuff that can be commonly lethal, but this just sounds like a PITA, yes it hurts a lot, I get that but how much bigger is the problem besides the hurt and how often does it kill?

To compare medical sentiment, Strep can actually cause Rheumatic Heart Disease if not treated with antibiotics quickly but now Dr's just shrug off the risk and rarely give antibiotics so where is the behind the scenes cost benefit analysis?

All these decisions seem to be quite arbitrary these days, needs to be more accountability so people can prioritize.
I ask as someone who was given dangerous biologics for non lethal stuff and the biologics have a long list of letal side effects and a whole lot of cancer. Feeling more caution is probably a good idea.

Really, how serious is the shilgles thing? Is it lethal?

I am fine with vaccines for stuff that can be commonly lethal, but this just sounds like a PITA, yes it hurts a lot, I get that but how much bigger is it thtn hurt and hos often does it kill?

To compare medical sentiment, Strep can actually cause Rheumatic Heart Disease if not treated with antibiotics quickly but now Dr's just shrug off the risk and rarely give antibiotics so where is the behind the scenes cost benefit analysis?

All these decisions seem to be quite arbitrary these days, needs to be more accountability so people can prioritize.
Yes, people can become very ill for weeks with shingles. It also can be quite painful.

Yes, people can become very ill for weeks with shingles. It also can be quite painful.
But can it kill and how often does it kill? Is it ill like icky or life support ill?

I don't know anyone who ever died of shingles, seems to be a recent big push for stuff that is low risk or that we can probably live with.

But can it kill and how often does it kill? Is it ill like icky or life support ill?

I don't know anyone who ever died of shingles, seems to be a recent big push for stuff that is low risk or that we can probably live with.
Shingles is rarely life threatening. Complications, though, can mean that around 1 in every 1,000 cases in adults over the age of 70 is fatal.

There’s no cure for shingles.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesse...ons can sometimes occur as,age of 70 is fatal.

My 85 YO neighbor was ill for 6 weeks. Open lesions, excruciating pain, couldn’t sleep, was hard to even sit. It is an excruciating, debilitating painful experience for many people. It’s not just “icky”.

And BTW, chicken pox itself can be life threatening for adults.

I am fine with vaccines for stuff that can be commonly lethal, but this just sounds like a PITA, yes it hurts a lot, I get that but how much bigger is the problem besides the hurt and how often does it kill?

I ask as someone who was given dangerous biologics for non lethal stuff and the biologics have a long list of letal side effects and a whole lot of cancer. Feeling more caution is probably a good idea.
OP here. It has been 8 hours since I got my first dose and all is well! I have been drinking a ton of water like they suggested . Thinking I should be feeling ok tomorrow too.

As far as whether or not Shingles is fatal, all I know is that it can be extremely painful….we are talking excruciatingly so and effects can linger for a very, very long time. My brother had it in his eye and was hospitalized multiple times in agonizing pain. For two years after he had vision problems and nerve issues with his eye. His doctors told him he was extremely lucky he did not lose his eyesight. To me that makes it worth getting. There are no guarantees in life, but when it is something like 97% effective against getting this virus, I say it is a risk well worth taking!

You could potentially lose eyesight, so there's that.
Shingles sucked, and I had a mild case compared to people I know with permanent damage from having it. A friend had it go in his eye and was told may possibly lose sight in that eye. Another said it felt like being skinned alive. Mine was sudden intense nerve pain out of nowhere for weeks.
A lot of people are anti vax for anything recently, so entirely voluntary. I plan on getting the the 1st shot in the next few weeks. Much rather deal with the side effects of the shot than deal with all that.

I had shingles in fall 2022. It was terrible, horrible, no good, very bad!! The absolute worst thing I’ve experienced (I’ve birthed 2 children; migraines for 35+ years) and highly recommend the vaccine. I was in my 40s so never even had it on my radar; I had just recovered from my only known COVID infection. I still have a couple spots on my leg/back that are sensitive (itch/burn off and on) as a result. Thank goodness it only affected my trunk/back though the virus must have run the length of my sciatic nerve. I went from not tolerating anything touching my skin to months of wearing leggings/compression.
First dose is likely no issue; second dose is likely to have higher chance of side effects.
Definitely has to better than having shingles.

@HeatherC - hope you have minimal side effects and do well with your second vaccine!

Have they checked on that in the last year? The coverage rules for Part D & Advantage plans changed last year.

https://www.ncoa.org/article/medicare-and-medicaid-now-fully-cover-preventive-vaccines

“What vaccinations does Medicare fully cover?​

No-cost coverage continues for the flu, pneumococcal, and COVID-19 vaccines, and hepatitis B for people whose doctors recommend it. In 2023, the Tdap, RSV, and shingles vaccines joined the list of no-cost vaccinations.

The ACIP Adult Immunization Schedule recommends these vaccines for older adults with additional risk factors or other health needs: hepatitis A, varicella, meningococcal A, C, W, Y (MenACWY); meningococcal B (MenB); and haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib).

Those vaccines are also now cost-free.

Medicare now covers the complete cost of Shingrix, the vaccine that helps prevent shingles. This viral infection, which causes a painful skin rash, affects about 1 out of 3 people in the U.S. And your risk of getting shingles—and complications from shingles—increases with age.”
Correct, covered now.

I ask as someone who was given dangerous biologics for non lethal stuff and the biologics have a long list of letal side effects and a whole lot of cancer.
It can be terribly serious, LO. My daughter, Natalie, got shingles about 3 years ago. She is still dealing with the effects, still terribly painful, terribly. She suffers a lot from it.

Have you acquired lethal side effects or cancers from your biologics? Most medicines have a laundry list of potential side effects. If you could talk to natalie, she would most likely convince you to be sensible and get the vaccine, unless you already are allergic to any of the components. .

I choose to do whatever I can to not have to live with it (shingles, I mean). I understand your position and you have the freedom to decline, at least with this vaccine. If the subtext of your comments is in relation to mandatory vaccination - I'm strongly against it, yet grateful vaccines are available to those who choose them. I've willingly taken practically every one I can get my hands on. I'm just getting over a miserable but obviously non-lethal head cold. If they came up with a vaccine for that tomorrow, I'd be in line.

Sadly my elderly father went blind in one eye due to the Shingles virus that showed up on his forehead travelling into his eyes. He had previously received both Shingles vaccines, the newer version and the older one prior to developing the virus. He's been a weekly outpatient at a hospital eye clinic for the last 6 months trying to clear it up. An older man came to the hospital clinic on a stretcher with paramedics a few weeks ago while we were waiting to see the doctors and I overheard that he, too, had Shingles in his eyes.

You know me...I'm the odd-ball out here and I won't get it. I agree the push for shots currently is crazy.

You know me...I'm the odd-ball out here and I won't get it. I agree the push for shots currently is crazy.
I don't disagree - but yeah Ill probably get the Shingles one after discussing with a Doctor (and a family member who is a Doctor) - that harder part is getting a PCP and an appointment with a PCP.

BTW - the second dose of the shingles one did cause my wife some issues, and she was not happy, but nothing like shingles so well worth it IMO

I've had both doses (and a case of shingles prior to getting the vaccine). I remember my arm being pretty sore from the shot, but no other big side effects. My husband got his and swore he was dying... but he can be a baby about stuff like that.

Revisiting the thread to report on the second dose, which my husband and I both got last night. I was a little dizzy right after, but that happened to me with a couple of the COVID shots. Arm is more sore than with most shots but better than the first Shingrix shot. I developed a fever in the middle of the night which has lasted all day and is still going strong (about 101.5 even with Tylenol), mild aches, brief mild headache and chills, body fatigue but unable to sleep because I’m so hot, and congestion which I think may be due to allergies but I’m not sure. My husband has mild aches, mild headache, and has slept all day. I am REALLY hoping I’m back to normal in the morning. I am not saying this to make anyone anxious, as I can confirm it is miles better than having shingles, but I definitely recommend getting the shot on a Friday when you don’t have weekend plans.

Revisiting the thread to report on the second dose, which my husband and I both got last night. I was a little dizzy right after, but that happened to me with a couple of the COVID shots. Arm is more sore than with most shots but better than the first Shingrix shot. I developed a fever in the middle of the night which has lasted all day and is still going strong (about 101.5 even with Tylenol), mild aches, brief mild headache and chills, body fatigue but unable to sleep because I’m so hot, and congestion which I think may be due to allergies but I’m not sure. My husband has mild aches, mild headache, and has slept all day. I am REALLY hoping I’m back to normal in the morning. I am not saying this to make anyone anxious, as I can confirm it is miles better than having shingles, but I definitely recommend getting the shot on a Friday when you don’t have weekend plans.

Hope you feel better tomorrow. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter