• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shocked a little by Price increase.

Shocked at the 25%ish increases to AP, not surprised that they increased though. We debated about upgrading our 7 day hoppers to 10 day hoppers as a family and about 2 days later the increase happened earlier this yr. Even though we we're disappointed in not deciding quicker, we upgraded last week to 10 days, and they also priced up our discounted tickets. The day before this increase in AP, we were thinking of upgrading the 10 days to AP because half of us want memory maker and we were nearly at the price point with having the 10 days. I said then that if we wait to upgrade to AP at the park - like everyone preferred to do, that they could increase the rates again because of GE.

Funny, I am almost in the exact same boat! Bought 7 day park hoppers, planned to change it to 10 days, and then decided to bridge our tix to AP purchase when we go in December. It really stinks that you can only bridge in person, as I would have bridged months ago over the phone. Now I am left deciding whether to get the AP anymore since it has increased for us almost a grand.

Definitely look into offsite hotels. Disney Springs or the Marriott will definitely be better price wise. I like those hotels more than values and moderates since they have indoor hallways. They just won’t be as themed as the Disney hotels.

Funny, I am almost in the exact same boat! Bought 7 day park hoppers, planned to change it to 10 days, and then decided to bridge our tix to AP purchase when we go in December. It really stinks that you can only bridge in person, as I would have bridged months ago over the phone. Now I am left deciding whether to get the AP anymore since it has increased for us almost a grand.
The old AP price is still avail at AAA and Sams online but we’d have to buy it straight up and bank our 10day tickets for later, letting them expire. We’re also trying to decide on possibly buying the APs to Bank them for 2020 since they’re going to be more expensive next yr and the yr after and we’d prefer to have AP for 2021 or some part of it. It is expensive to buy them straight up without an upgrade though and a commitment to go more often. What are you going to do?

@Nick6300 Well, I have tried about 10xs tonight to change the tickets on the Disney Website to 10 days, but it keeps not working due to a website error. Super frustrated, but don't want to call on the phone tonight. I wanted to upgrade to 10 days in anticipation of bridging in December and I am afraid regular tickets will increase again. I lean towards still doing the AP, but making this the last year of Disney for several years (bummer). If you have the extra money to bank tickets, I think that is smart. I just can't justify it for myself right now, as we are a family of 5.

... The middle class can easily afford a week at WDW or DLR every couple years ... I work all the overtime it takes ...
Which is it? A Disney vacation is easily affordable? Or it's affordable if overtime is an option for you? You seem to be arguing both ways.

Even with any price increase Disney does...or has done.. The middle class can easily afford a week at WDW or DLR every couple years...We are just that. You have to know when to go and use codes and save your money. I work all the overtime it takes and even with out that, we just plan. Plan and save money. But, when folks say disney is pricing out the middle class....thats just 100% inaccurate. They are pricing out folks that don't plan or find ways to save. I.E. stay at a value, stay off property. Dont spend a lot on food or souvenirs. There is many many ways to bring the cost way down. I see folks that only stay at Deluxe and complain about increases....Well, then stay at a Moderate or Value or even cheaper....Off property hotel or condo. Disney to me is and will always be a GREAT value vacation.

Staying off-site isn't a "Disney" vacation to us, so that's out. I'm not going to give up other vacations or eating out or quite frankly anything I enjoy to be able to travel to Disney.

We do stay deluxe, but the possibility of no discount on a room that's upwards of $600 (insanity) just would be too difficult for 2020.

We debated saving for another year as I didn't want to do a moderate - I don't like outdoor corridors. But Hello Grand Destino Tower!!! Didn't even really ever look into this at Coronado Springs, but it seems like it's going to be a great hotel! We got it for a little over $300 a night - amazing! I'm nervous about only having the bus as transportation, but we really wanted to go next year and this is how we can comfortably afford it.

We will be back again after next year's trip, but only after however long it takes us to save and stay at Yacht/Beach again.

So reality for us if this is the age of no more discounts is that we will now be going to Disney less, and that's okay. :)

Our last trip we (5 adult family) switched to off property because of the tremendous price difference. I had a great package discount with dining and FP all reserved, but still made the change because the savings was too much to ignore. Dropped the “hopper” tickets. Paid for our sit down meals out of pocket. Had to rebook the FP 30 days out. Rented a car. Stayed in a 2 bedroom at Springhill Suites with tons of room and a nice pool and hot tub and happy hour. Spent 1/3 of the package cost. Right before Christmas 2017 and it was crowded but we had no problems doing everything I originally wanted. Now prices are higher and perks are no better. My eldest daughter and I have a 4 night weekend planned over labor day and are staying at Wilderness Lodge. It seemed not much more expensive than a moderate. But I will not have car. The parking fee bugs me. I view every trip differently but we are going less frequently these days as prices go up and my perceived value goes down.

Am I the only one here? What does everyone else think?

You might not like my answer, but here it is...maybe go someplace different?

Everyone vacations differently.

My typical “vacation” growing up was the shore, where my mom would take my brother and I for 2 weeks. Her friend had a small bungalow for us to stay in, and my mom would cook for their family while we were there. My dad would drive down on the weekends, which is the only time we had the car, and he would take us to the boardwalk.... and but besides that we had no big annual trip anywhere..it just was not possible.
Every 6 years, we went to Disneyworld, where we stayed iin a on-site hotel and see all the new things. I went when I was 6, 12, and 18.

Personally, we are the Save up and Spurge type, even now.

As adults planning our own trips, Our plan is to go every 5 years so each time we come back, there is something new to see. (We have been lucky to go a few times in between because of work trips or other family paying for the trip)

People might think our way is horrible, but it means we know what we are getting into each trip,and are financially prepared for the expense.

Yes, it is very expensive. Your point is very valid. The pricing has really accelerated in the last few years, and maybe if attendance does not increase, maybe then it might stabilize. I wish I had better news...but with the success of all the “extras” (parties and add-on tours) and all the new rides coming out...I do not see the increases slowing down any time soon.

And you'll still come out way ahead. Those things don't add up to $150 per day, which is about what we save over staying at a value resort

But then there's the "aggravation factor". Speaking personally I like going to a Disney resort because from the time I get out of my car at the departure airport, I don't touch a steering wheel again until I get BACK from Disney. Someone else deals with the traffic; someone else has to deal with the driving. All I have to do is show up.

There's no set price for the 'aggravation factor', but to me it makes staying at a Disney resort more than worth it. I just stay at the Values (which as of the Skyliner opening is just the All Stars) and let the driving be somebody else's problem.

But then there's the "aggravation factor". Speaking personally I like going to a Disney resort because from the time I get out of my car at the departure airport, I don't touch a steering wheel again until I get BACK from Disney. Someone else deals with the traffic; someone else has to deal with the driving. All I have to do is show up.

There's no set price for the 'aggravation factor', but to me it makes staying at a Disney resort more than worth it. I just stay at the Values (which as of the Skyliner opening is just the All Stars) and let the driving be somebody else's problem.
This is what my husband always talks about. He says he will never go to Disney and drive a car. 😂 As a kid he says he remembers the long treks (trams, parking lines, traffic) back to their condo so much so he wasn’t interested in visiting as an adult. He has fallen in love with our on property stays.

We went from going once (sometimes twice) annually to every three or so years now. It’s just getting too expensive.

While do agree that WDW is a wonderful vacation destination for my little family I absolutely refuse to give up living my daily life to afford to go. No way I’m giving up movies and sporting events and eating out and doing fun things with my friends/family simply to able to go to WDW for a week or two.

We’ll still go to WDW. And we’ll still spend the money we usually spend on extras or food or souvenirs etc. I won’t cut back on that either.

We’ll just go less frequently.

So.. We started planning tentatively for next year since they released the dates yesterday. Going 2020, most likely staying at a Moderate or Value (that's typical for our family when we don't have a lot of people going). I "price my vacation" yesterday for 4 adults and a 2 y.o. and my jaw dropped. Essentially no matter what dates I put in for Spring of 2020, Value prices have skyrocketed to Moderate prices, essentially pricing my family out of Moderate. Now, I don't mind value resorts and have stayed at most of them but because we are usually one of those "it's just where you sleep" families as we don't hang at the resort often during our vacation. I'm just annoyed at the now lack of options to stay under 6,000.00 dollars as we are big fans of the quick service dining plan and always include it. Even pricing our stay at some of the usual lower priced Moderate resorts is baffling. We are young and in our early-late 20's so we like to have our Disney vacations without it breaking the bank. Now instead of going Spring 2020 we are thinking of pushing it to the fall just to have time to pay for it. I am worried that like most things, Disney is now becoming out of reach for the middle class. I'm not stupid, I know that WDW is out of reach for a lot of Americans and there are many people that only go once in their lives but as I try to go as often as I like, I'm worried Disney just might continue to go up and price us right out of the option to go to WDW for Vacation. Am I the only one here? What does everyone else think?
I agree, I was shocked too. I ended up booking Wilderness Lodge though, because my mom is getting older and I wanted her to be able to stay at a deluxe resort..last time we did POFQ. I know we could have stayed offsite. But, we also don’t go to WDW as often as we used to..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter