Should we wait to sail?

Thank you all for the wonderful responses!

I don’t think this will be our last cruise, but as a couple who has never cruised before we really don’t know what to expect.

To give you a better idea of our style. We aren’t really heavy drinkers or gamblers. We were looking for a more “adult experience” without a lot of nuisances that come with it. And we imagine when gambling or “free-for-all” drinking is available it invites many of the problems that come along with it.

Our focus was on blue water, white sand and exotic ports of call with new experiences waiting for us. Personally, I was truly looking forward to visiting the Soggy Dollar and spending the day on a beach with a painkiller and my toes in the water.

With the ships only going to Castaway, there is no precedent for what or if Disney can offer. But we are concerned our 7 night cruise will turn into a 4 night. Along with hearing reports that excursions are extremely limited. Which makes sense since they have reduced capacity and only one destination.

The themed nights were another high point for us. Our cruise was supposed to have a Star Wars day at sea, but who knows how that will change.

From the coverage posted on-line and on forums. It all sounded so very uncomfortably dystopian right now. Walking onto a ship and getting a little greeting show before being ushered off so the next group can be loaded on. Instead of getting a sail away party to kick off the trip with the horn announcing vacation has officially begun.

Going to the theater and getting popcorn and watching a movie. Or spending a late night listening to live music at one of the bars, and waking up to look out from the veranda at a tropical port.

I guess when we had first booked the cruise pre-pandemic we had a general idea of what to expect and what we were looking forward to, but now it’s all up in the air. Are we even going to be sailing for 7 nights? Where are we going? Will it even be close to what it was in before times?

Things seem to be changing to rapidly right now, and from our point of view it appears Disney isn’t doing that great of a job communicating.

Perhaps that’s a symptom of the past, almost two years. We are both frontline healthcare workers, and that is really how we have worked since COVID. Fluid, ever changing and chaotic at times.

But how do we measure when is the right time and when do we postpone? COVID has changed the world, and are we just hoping to go back to a time of “normal” that we never be able to go back to?

Yet, right now, it feels like DCL doesn’t have a plan. Or at least hasn’t done the best job communicating what their plans are going forward.

And I apologize for rambling on. It’s difficult to frame these feelings neatly.

The TLDR being: Our previous expectations of what our first DCL cruise don’t seem to be a reality anymore, but will it ever be as DCL hasn’t been the best at communicating as of late.

And I apologize for rambling on. It’s difficult to frame these feelings neatly.

The TLDR being: Our previous expectations of what our first DCL cruise don’t seem to be a reality anymore, but will it ever be as DCL hasn’t been the best at communicating as of late.

You sound like candidates for a Disney cruise - of the past - and I expect of the future, too.

A lot of what you describe should come back. I would recommend you put off the sail date until at least next fall. And if the world situation is not returning to normal when payment is due, put it off.

Disney cruises are not cheap and if there’s no rush, wait until you can get your Dream (well, 7 nights, so Fantasy) cruise. And your trip to Soggy Dollar.

Just don’t put off vacation until DCL is ready for you. You deserve a break.

When is your PIF date? I would personally wait until the last possible moment to cancel for a full refund before I made my decision. Everything is so fluid right now. What’s happening today might be different next week. We are talking about almost 6 months. I went to WDW about 5 months ago and it’s crazy how much has changed since then. Shows reopened, mask restrictions loosened, restaurants reopened, fireworks brought back…and I’m sure there’s more I’m not thinking of. So it makes sense to wait to see what things may be like closer to your cruise.

Here is my prediction from the start of this year:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...y-not-happen-until-2022.3825883/post-62682082
In short, any cruising 'normal' won't happen before 2024. The question to ask yourself is whether you can hold out till then. With the caveat that perfect tomorrow may never transpire?

That's the big picture view. At a more day-to-day level, cruise lines are trying to adapt to what's happening so quickly. February won't see a return to normal, but it won't be the same as August either. To be sure, cruising restrictions mirror the reality on land. You might find restrictions at most other places anyways. Maybe you will grow at peace with them.

My advice for the next three years is to find a window of opportunity - when cases are lower, travel is doable, disruptions to work/life are manageable - and take your vacation.

Man it was hard to go back and see how optimistic I was just six months ago. A lot of things happened between then and now that I didn't fully anticipate, but I won't get into those issues because of the new rules. I tend to agree with the 2024 date, but I haven't a clue anymore.

We are still on the fence about February, when our next one is booked. I was a hard "no" unless it was close to normal, until I watched videos of the resumed cruises and thought it looked more relaxing and more fun than I thought. I realized just how much I missed being on the sea, and DCL, with no where to go and nothing important to do. We are just going to watch and see how things develop this winter before deciding. No more predictions from me.

Our cruise is in Dec and we're still not sure we're going. Even though there is an extension to PIF date to Oct, I went ahead and PIF so I can book Palo dining and activities (as Platinum). DCL has provided more flexibility to cancel even after this date, but for us we need to make a decision by end of Sep with regards to our DVC reservations pre and post cruise.

So, I do think it's important to wait to see what the changes will be, but it's also important to keep in mind any other reservations that would be impacted.

Greetings,

This is a question directed at those who recently sailed with Disney. More specifically, those who had prior cruising experience pre-pandemic.

Watching the recent sailings and the social media coverage posted on-line. My spouse and I have some concerns regarding if we should cancel our cruise and wait until things get back a little closer to what could be considered normal.

For some background, we had planned our trip about two years ago. Originally scheduled to sail in February of 2021. Long before anyone had heard the word COVID. It was going to be our first cruise.

When our cruise was canceled, we had rescheduled for February of 2022 - 7 night Eastern Caribbean. Hoping that we would be sailing under somewhat normal conditions or slightly adjusted.

While we have not seen what a 7 night cruise will look like just yet. The feeling I get from what has been posted on social media is that it is radically different.

No sailing away party. Amenities and entertainment on the ship appear to have been limited or outright canceled. The “night” events appear to be watered down. From what I have read you can’t even get popcorn if you want to watch a movie in the theater.

Which is why I am looking for feedback on what people think, and if this is really the right time to be sailing at all. Given what limited experiences Disney is offering.

Should we just cancel and look a few years down the road for Disney to return to what cruising was like before COVID or stick it out and hope we will receive and experience something like it was before the pandemic.

Thank you and I look forward to reading your reaponses.
I can let you know after next week. I plan on booking a placeholder, but honestly, I may never use it. After next week's cruise, I'm not going to plan anything far out. If I cruise in over the next year it will most likely be on short notice. Things just change too quickly.

It's very personal decision for everyone at this time whether it's your first or 20th DCL cruise. I think the "right time" is different for everyone right now. For me, we already cancelled our DCL January 2022 cruise and I didn't move it out because prices were too high in the spring and I don't sail hurricane season (had to book before Sept 2022.)
Even if I do feel safer on the ship with the fully vaccinated now (and I'm unsure that I do), I won't risk traveling to Florida now even if it was free. But that's me. There are plenty of people who can drive to Port Canaveral that don't have to worry about planes/crowds and may be happy to be out on the ocean away from their locale (esp Florida residents). And while I've watched all these recent threads with interest, I'm glad I'm not someone waiting for Disney to update protocols etc re my cruise in a week - way too much stress for me.

If you are a healthcare worker, I'm sure you need a break, so determine what actual risks are acceptable to you. As far as the actual cruise, I think the reduced capacity would be great (fantastic actually) and I'm happy just sitting and watching the ocean (and eating)! You won't recognize any difference because you'd have nothing to compare it to. (Just be sure to follow Disney's ever evolving info and take any required tests etc so you have no issues at the port!)
If you go, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Man it was hard to go back and see how optimistic I was just six months ago. A lot of things happened between then and now that I didn't fully anticipate, but I won't get into those issues because of the new rules. I tend to agree with the 2024 date, but I haven't a clue anymore.

We are still on the fence about February, when our next one is booked. I was a hard "no" unless it was close to normal, until I watched videos of the resumed cruises and thought it looked more relaxing and more fun than I thought. I realized just how much I missed being on the sea, and DCL, with no where to go and nothing important to do. We are just going to watch and see how things develop this winter before deciding. No more predictions from me.
We have booked for early Jan, and we know we will have fun no matter the onboard restrictions. The issue is with the changing travel rules - vaccines or not, testing or not, masks or not, how many tests, where to get them, etc. We had one booked for this August, but we bailed out once we saw the logistics - that they were all over the map. The way I see it, the first month or two are really still test cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter