• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shouldn't I just pay cash for kids TS?

My kids will be 13, 11 & 11 when we go to Disney in Nov. I plan on getting the dining plan for all of us, but paying cash for the non-buffet meals for the 11yos. My 13yo eats more than I do, but the 11yos would NEVER eat as much food.

Oh, boy- this is a hotly debated subject.

There are people who see nothing wrong with pooling credits, paying OOP for children and using the TS credits for adult meals. There is no specific rule against this in the DP brochure.

There are others who say that while it isn't explicitly stated that this isn't allowed, that paying OOP for kids meals is violating the intent and spirit of the plan. They contend that if there is a lower price for children, then the credits should be used for childrens' menu items.

I lean toward the first interpretation, but do admit that I feel that some try to "cheat" the DP so as to get everything out of it possible (like ordering the most expensive entree, regardless of if they really want that item, adding on items, getting shakes instead of soft drinks as their beveraga, paying all of their kids meals OOP, etc).

We did the DDP last fall, and while we didn't pay OOP for any of DD's meals, we did share 2 adult TS credits at several non buffets for the 3 of us (there is really just sooo much food- definitely enough for DH, DD, and me to share) and had enough TS credits left over to squeeze in one last character b'fast on our last morning. Do I consider this "cheating"? No.

Do what you feel is the correct thing to do. Disney, as of now, doesn't break the credits down as Child TS and Adult TS. They may in the future. Have fun, and eat well! :sunny:

ReallyFunMom said:
At non-buffets........ and then use the TS credit for adult meals later?

Aside from the issue of taking advantage of Disney's generosity...

Assume you decide to eat breakfast in your room. The moderate and deluxe hotels have refrigerators and coffee makers. CS breakfast is a bad buy for children and adults.

Now assume you use your CS credits for lunch and your TS credits for dinner. You have enough credits for your trip without having to worry about what meals you want to pay cash for and meals you want to put on the plan. Everyone has more than enough to eat. Paying out of pocket for your kids meals will actually cost you more money since you won't have to pay anything out of pocket if you use the plan as I described.

It makes some sense if you have a young child that doesn't eat much and you want to share your meal, at restaurants that aren't buffet or all you care. It might make some sense if you're going to be eating in 2 credit TS restaurants.

Well we are a family with 4 kids who are considered adults by Disney standards....

My impression (could be wrong) is that if the 11 years olds (we have two) want to order chicken nuggets off the kids menu they will be allowed. If this is the case I do not intend to use a TS credit but will pay for that with cash. It is just not reasonable for me to use a credit worth up to $27.99 for a chicken nugget meal.

We are doing Hoop de doo one night which uses two TS credits each and I will use any TS credits I can save this way to make up for that night.

Mind you I will not FORCE them to order the kids meal...but if that is what they want I will be paying cash for it.

I also had been thinking about this issue. My 8yr old Disney son is a light eater, a lot of the time he likes to just have soup. I really never felt comfortable with the paying OOP for children. Now that we are getting "free dining" for me it is totally out of the question. Beggers cant be choosers (and boy did we beg for free dining), we are planning on paying for any extra TS meals OOP.

Lewisc said:
Oh brother this line is a Hoot!!!!!!!!Wheres Disneys Generosity when I need a pair of socks(On property) and am forced to pay $14.95. Give me a break

If you are concerned about being 'fair' or 'cheating the system', think about this. If the first night of your trip you go to Hoop Dee Do, and the first morning you do a Character breakfast, (both use 2 TS each) then at the end of the trip, you will be forced to pay for meals OOP. Why is this acceptable (you'd have no choice) but choosing to pay for some meals OOP before you use up your credits is not?

I've not used the DDP yet, but we are considering it for our 2007 trip....

vellamint said:
My impression (could be wrong) is that if the 11 years olds (we have two) want to order chicken nuggets off the kids menu they will be allowed. If this is the case I do not intend to use a TS credit but will pay for that with cash. It is just not reasonable for me to use a credit worth up to $27.99 for a chicken nugget meal.

I think this is a seperate issue than the one brought up by OP. As your 11 year old is an adult, you can absolutely use your TS Credits anyway you want. You are still paying 38 bucks a day for them, and if you plan on doing more TS meals than one a day, it only makes sense.

Lewisc,

That's what we are doing on our upcoming trip. We are averaging about 1.23 TS meals a day, so I will pay for the kids oop for some of the meals to make up the difference.

ReallyFunMom said:
At non-buffets........ and then use the TS credit for adult meals later?

I certainly am not going to tell whether or not to do this, it's up to you. Here's something to think about- if your child is 10 or older you'll be paying the adult price of $37.99 and I don't see why that would be a problem. However, if you are paying the kids price of $10.99 and intend to have an adult use that credit, then that seems like cheating to me. You are talking about a $27 difference in value. That said, I also think it's ridiculous that Disney is charging 10-12 year olds for adult meals, when many kids this age cannot eat that much food. I personally would not do what you are suggesting, but then again we don't even bother with the dining plan since my ds and dd do not eat $38 worth of food every day (and that is what I would have to pay for them due to their age).

MomofKatie said:
Oh, boy- this is a hotly debated subject.

There are people who see nothing wrong with pooling credits, paying OOP for children and using the TS credits for adult meals. There is no specific rule against this in the DP brochure.

There are others who say that while it isn't explicitly stated that this isn't allowed, that paying OOP for kids meals is violating the intent and spirit of the plan. They contend that if there is a lower price for children, then the credits should be used for childrens' menu items.

I lean toward the first interpretation, but do admit that I feel that some try to "cheat" the DP so as to get everything out of it possible (like ordering the most expensive entree, regardless of if they really want that item, adding on items, getting shakes instead of soft drinks as their beveraga, paying all of their kids meals OOP, etc).

We did the DDP last fall, and while we didn't pay OOP for any of DD's meals, we did share 2 adult TS credits at several non buffets for the 3 of us (there is really just sooo much food- definitely enough for DH, DD, and me to share) and had enough TS credits left over to squeeze in one last character b'fast on our last morning. Do I consider this "cheating"? No.

Do what you feel is the correct thing to do. Disney, as of now, doesn't break the credits down as Child TS and Adult TS. They may in the future. Have fun, and eat well! :sunny:

Thanks for your response. Boy, it is all so confusing. DDE seemed so much easier but since I happenned to be going during the dining offer, thought I'd try it. Seems like you get a bigger bang for you buck the more nights you stay. We will just do 3 nights and will probably use 8 of the 12 TS credits checking out HoopdeDoo. Spliting our food with the kids and abandoning kids meals sounds like a good idea; better food for the kiddos and we can't possibly eat an app, entree and dessert.

JayS said:
If you are concerned about being 'fair' or 'cheating the system', think about this. If the first night of your trip you go to Hoop Dee Do, and the first morning you do a Character breakfast, (both use 2 TS each) then at the end of the trip, you will be forced to pay for meals OOP. Why is this acceptable (you'd have no choice) but choosing to pay for some meals OOP before you use up your credits is not?

I've not used the DDP yet, but we are considering it for our 2007 trip....

Character Breakfasts are 2 TS each?! I thought only CRT was 2 TS each?

Lewisc said:

Assume you decide to eat breakfast in your room. The moderate and deluxe hotels have refrigerators and coffee makers. CS breakfast is a bad buy for children and adults.

Now assume you use your CS credits for lunch and your TS credits for dinner. You have enough credits for your trip without having to worry about what meals you want to pay cash for and meals you want to put on the plan. Everyone has more than enough to eat. Paying out of pocket for your kids meals will actually cost you more money since you won't have to pay anything out of pocket if you use the plan as I described.

It makes some sense if you have a young child that doesn't eat much and you want to share your meal, at restaurants that aren't buffet or all you care. It might make some sense if you're going to be eating in 2 credit TS restaurants.

I disagree with your analysis.

First off, paying OOP for children is not a bad idea for people who aren't meal-sharing to conserve credits. Just about everybody ends up with one less day of DDP than they have days at the parks (e.g., 4 day, 3 night stay). If you aren't going to share meals to conserve credits for that extra day, then it's absolutely more economical to pay OOP for the kids and enjoy another TS meal on the last day of the trip using the credits for adults.

Second, I disagree that breakfast is always a bad option for credit use. I would never choose to purchase CS breakfast with my credits if I was using 1 credit per person per meal; however, the CS lunch/dinner portions at Disney are just too huge for us and it makes sense to share. If we share the meals, we have leftover credits. The only remaining meal to use the credits on is breakfast, so that's exactly what we did.

drogerstn said:
Ladies and gentlemen....lets get ready to ruuummmbuuuuul :scared: ....

lol (this is gonna be good... :bitelip: )

(funmom, Yes, you could, and in many cases should. But, hang on, this could be a very bumpy night...)

Ok.... if you feel the need to flame me after reading this... flame away.

If one adult and 1 child (3-9) stay 3 nights and purchase the dining plan, you are entitiled to 3 adult TS and 3 child TS ( and 3 CS and 3 snacks) THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO.... not 4 adult TS, not 5 adult TS, not 6 adult TS. This is a quote from the WDW site.

Includes appetizer, entree, dessert or full buffet and non-alcoholic beverage as well as gratuity (children ages 3-9 must choose from the children's menu if available; dessert not available at breakfast)

If there is not a children's menu available then the child can order from the adult menu. The plan is not intended for the adult to take advantage of it and get an extra meal for the adult. If you pay out of pocket for a childs meal then the child is entitled to another child TS, not the adult.

For the life of me I do not understand why some people try to take advantage of the system. Especially when you are getting something FREE, why try to abuse it. Just because you think you can twist something around to your advantage doesn't make it right.

If you don't agree with how many TS it takes to attend a particular show or meal, then don't go.. use it for another meal. That's your choice but don't try to manipulate the system just to get what you want.

(Oh boy, I know I'm in trouble now) :rolleyes1

Note: I am not talking about people who have paid for an adult but pay OOP for a kids meal and save the adult meal, you are entitled to that. I'm just talking about people who try to use an intended child TS for an adult. I'm also not directing this towards any particular person, just mainly venting because this comes up all the time!

vellamint said:
Character Breakfasts are 2 TS each?! I thought only CRT was 2 TS each?

yep...character breakfasts are one TS each. There are a few places that use 2 TS's -- and I found out this morning that booking the Fantasmic dining package is one of the ones that uses 2 TS's.

NYDisneyMom said:
yep...character breakfasts are one TS each. There are a few places that use 2 TS's -- and I found out this morning that booking the Fantasmic dining package is one of the ones that uses 2 TS's.

Only if you want the Brown Derby Package.

You can do either the H&V or the Mama Melrose Fantasmic packages for 1 TS.

BUT, I could pay OOP for my kids' meals at LeCellier (about $5/kid) and use those credits for the kids' dinners at Crystal Palace ($13), right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter