Shring on Dining Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so If DH and I aand DS go to a table service restaurant. ED and I can order a meal each and I can buy something for DS...This would use 2 TS credits,but we would not be sharing.. DS would pay OOP.
Is the waiter at the Ca grill going to run up and slap my hand if I give DS a piece of my Sushi?:)

Yes, that is correct. And then they will take away your silverware as punishment, make you dress up like pirates, and lock you in the jail in POC. Second-time meal-sharing offenders will be tatooed "Dopey" or "Goofy" on their foreheads :rotfl2:

For full disclosure, here's the question I asked:
If we are four adults on the Dining Plan, can we visit Spoodles, for example, order three meals, and use just 3 table service credits, sharing the food from these three meals among the four of us?

And again, their answer is essentially: sharing is not permitted.

But then we are back to...are guests NOT on the DDP allowed to share? What about splitting meals? And there is a distinction, involving pre-meditated intent.

Sharing could be spontaneous, as in, "Oh DH/DS/DM these french fries are fabulous! Here, try a bite!"

Splitting a meal is telling the server, "We would like to order one meal and share it." In this case, the server may actually have the meal plated separately in the kitchen, or at least bring out an extra plate for the second guest.

But, the plot thickens...is this rule only for DDP guests, or what about those paying OOP? Will they now have to be seated in separate sections of the restaurant? Will DDP guests have to wear special t-shirts to readily identify them across a crowded room, and the servers will know to watch them closely for any signs of sharing? :laughing:

That's why I asked my very specific list of questions. And even though Disney definitely wants to discourage planned meal-sharing, the rest of their response was also very informative:

"Guests on the dining plan and sitting at a table in a table service restaurant are not required to use their dining credits for the meal. Guests may pay for the meal at the time of dining.

If one Guest wishes to use a dining credit and the other Guest in the party wishes to order food and beverage and pay for it instead of using their dining credit, that is permitted. However, ordering one meal and sharing is not permitted with the dining plan."

So, realistically...DH could order a full meal -- appetizer, entree, dessert and beverage -- on the DDP. I could order nothing (although it might appear odd), or I could order something small, like a salad and beverage, and pay OOP. Even if he shares part of his meal with me, we are not asking to have them split the meal in the kitchen -- so there is no rule bending going on, and no CM could be disciplined for allowing this. The only thing they could reasonably say "no sharing" to would be a "bottomless" beverage or similar menu item with unlimited refills.

But then we are back to...are guests NOT on the DDP allowed to share?
I think we can infer that the intent is at least to preclude four people ordering three meals. I agree that the reply I got doesn't answer the question as to whether four people could order four meals and share. Gosh I really hope they're not expecting folks to forgo that.

But, the plot thickens...is this rule only for DDP guests, or what about those paying OOP?
Clearly, the answer I got was only relevant to the Dining Plan.

The enforcement could be a simple as charging the same way as a buffet. A family of 2A and 2C is charged 2A and 2C credits for the meal. The family could order up to the maximum allowed (2A and 2C meals) but is free to order fewer items and share. We're not required to taste every food item offered in a buffet and we're not required to order an appetizer for every guest. Under the dining plan we're paying for a meal to feed a guest, not for the specific quantity of food we order.

Bicker already did the research. The dining plan pays for itself if you skip appetizers and desserts. Disney is giving us those items for free and may not intend they be used to feed extra guests or to tie up restaurant resources by giving guests a way to "stretch" their credits.

I still think Disney is more likely to go to a buffet or unlimited food approach but I could see them making a change at a restaurant like the CG.

I can't see Disney making that type of change at their regular TS restaurants. It would take away many of the reasons why people like to go to a restaurant where each individual can order exactly what they want. Some people in your party will have large appetites, some will have smaller appetites, some will want desserts and some won't -- paying the same price across the board would greatly reduce the plan's appeal as a way to save money. It is being marketed to customers as a way to "Save up to 40% on dining". If everyone orders full meals to try to realize the best value from the plan, and they can't finish and food is wasted -- whether or not it's ethically or morally wrong to waste food, it really does bother a lot of people to see food wasted. Takes away from that happy feeling of having made a wise decision to purchase the plan in the first place.

However, I can see Disney changing the DDP in the future to only be for buffets and all-you-care-to-eat meals, and eliminate the TS options altogether. Then every single family member sitting at the table will be charged a TS credit, no matter how much or little they eat, and there wouldn't be any confusion over adult vs child credits. Again, that would greatly reduce the plan's appeal, because a lot of people just don't like buffets.

Realistically, most families will not want to do more than one TS meal a day -- it's nice once a day for a chance to rest and recharge, but 2 TS meals a day mean 2 reservations, thus 2 "appointments" that must be kept, and take a much larger block of time than a CS meal. Disney in some ways created this problem themselves by having 2 TS credit "signature meals" and dinner shows. As soon as families started trying to figure out where those extra credits would come from, they started thinking up creative ways to save up those extra credits. What would happen if Disney stopped charging 2 TS credits, and instead charged 1 TS credit and added an additional premium, like $20-$25 per adult? For example, HDDR was 1 TS credit plus a $25 fee...would that work? Would that eliminate the need or desire for people to "bank" credits? :confused3

I don't see how they could force every family member to be at every meal so that you only ever use your full credit entitlement eg ours is 3 adults 1 child. As adults often want to have meals out by themselves. Disney makes money from the creche as well as on the meal.
We have the problem that we end up with an odd number of credits as well. We are doing a 2 TS credit adult only meal, that leaves 2 adult and 2 childs credits free. We can't use the child credit to pay for 10 year old DS meal as he is an adult on the plan. So we are left with 2 adult and 1 child usable credits. Without paying OOP how do we use these?

Realistically, most families will not want to do more than one TS meal a day -- it's nice once a day for a chance to rest and recharge, but 2 TS meals a day mean 2 reservations, thus 2 "appointments" that must be kept, and take a much larger block of time than a CS meal. Disney in some ways created this problem themselves by having 2 TS credit "signature meals" and dinner shows. As soon as families started trying to figure out where those extra credits would come from, they started thinking up creative ways to save up those extra credits. What would happen if Disney stopped charging 2 TS credits, and instead charged 1 TS credit and added an additional premium, like $20-$25 per adult? For example, HDDR was 1 TS credit plus a $25 fee...would that work? Would that eliminate the need or desire for people to "bank" credits? :confused3

For us it wouldn't, but then we are no longer a family with children. My husband and myself routinely eat two table service meals per day at Disney.

Our lunch table service is our "break" from the parks as we often stay at Value resorts and as most of you know, being anywhere on a value resort property after 8am and before 10pm the place is a zoo!! So what we do for our breaks is go to deluxe resorts and theme park restaurants and have a meal there. We routinely eat as much as is offered on the dining plan during a given day, but not at one seating. We generally have a good Counter Service breakfast at our Value resort at about 6:30 in the morning, then we'll head for the parks, then we'll have a sit down lunch probably ordering appetizers and deserts.

Then for dinner, we'll also have a sit down ordering one appetizer to share and two entrees.

Then we'll have desert somewhere a couple of hours later.

We'll usually also invariably pickup a mickey bar, or bottled water or soft drink somewhere in the park during the course of the day.

Now this is not set in stone every day, because we do also go to some buffets and fixed price places.

We're supposed to get with our friends that are going with us in September this weekend to plan our meals because our 180+10 window opens up within 8 days.

They are not very adventurous eaters (meat and potatos) type folks, so we're also hoping to use some of our sit down lunches to eat at some of the more adventurous restaurants and also to have some time where all 5 of us are not stuck at the hip the whole time. We'll see how it works out.

I have never used the dining plan, so please correct me if I am wrong.
When you buy the plan isn't it sort of a "lenght of stay" concept for each person in the room?

If so, then whatever options there are will either be used or expire in that given time. So, if at a certain meal I am not that hungry and only any appetizer (can I do that?) and the rest of my family orders a meal, eventually I will order that meal or lose it. Am I wrong?

I assume the abuse comes in if there is a larger group of people dining together and only half the people are on the plan and the others are not, but dining and thus sharing food on the dining credits.
Have I lost you yet? or am I correct about this?:confused3

So, now I know why I never get the dining option-that and I can't make a decide where I want to eat six months in advance! :scared:

I don't understand the reasoning behind not being able to share. If Iam staying 5 nights with 4 in my party, I have 20 TS credits. No matter how you divide it I will still get the eqivalent of 20 credits in food. I'm not getting anything extra by sharing with my DD, because we are not receiving as much food. I may be "banking" my food credits, but in turn Disney is "banking" the food.

I don't see how they could force every family member to be at every meal so that you only ever use your full credit entitlement eg ours is 3 adults 1 child.

I don't think the idea is to force every family member to be at every meal, but more likely, just charge a credit for every person who IS at the meal. So if you show up with 3 adults and 1 child, you'll be charged 3 adults and 1 child. If 2 adults show up, you're charged 2 adult credits (or 4 if it's a 2-credit TS).

We have the problem that we end up with an odd number of credits as well. We are doing a 2 TS credit adult only meal, that leaves 2 adult and 2 childs credits free. We can't use the child credit to pay for 10 year old DS meal as he is an adult on the plan. So we are left with 2 adult and 1 child usable credits. Without paying OOP how do we use these?

I don't get the math there (never was good at it!), but if the grown-ups have a 2TS meal without the kids, that does leave the kids with extra credits (regardless of whether the kids are kids or adults in Disney's eyes -- THEIR credits are still left unused). The only solution is either let the kids have a dinner by THEMselves, or have a meal where you pay OOP for the grown-ups and the kids use their "extra" credits. Or, you could order room service if there were enough left over credits. I don't see any other possibility.

I was told that if the persons sharing were all on the plan, you do not have to order a meal for each person, you can share among others on "your" plan.

The operative word being, you can only share with members of your plan. You can not feed others not on your plan. I know some do not understand that reasoning but the reason is the plan is supported by the purchase of a package that includes tickets, and room.

So if Mom and daughter are on the same plan and go to dinner and want to share a meal, you can do that.

Now as we all know, what the policy is and what the actual restaurants and servers will allow without a hassle is not always the same thing and is never going to be.

Disney has to think this through. Assume a table of 6, two couples on the plan and 1 couple not on the plan. They decide to use 3 adult credits. What is the minimum order for the couple not on the plan? Does Disney really think the server is going to be responsible to make sure the couple not on the plan doesn't touch any food from the plates of those on the plan? Suppose the two couples not on the plan each order a drink and an entrée. I can't imagine a server telling a party of 6 they're not allowed to share 3 desserts, plan or no plan. One could make the case a TS credit is designed to feed one guest, regardless of how much food the guest eats. Same philosophy as a buffet. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney did something to require a credit for each person dining, at least in some restaurants.

Disney can certainly have either a minimum order requirement or charge one credit for every dining guest, regardless of what they order. I can't see the policy you mention working.

I was told that if the persons sharing were all on the plan, you do not have to order a meal for each person, you can share among others on "your" plan.

The operative word being, you can only share with members of your plan. You can not feed others not on your plan. I know some do not understand that reasoning but the reason is the plan is supported by the purchase of a package that includes tickets, and room.

So if Mom and daughter are on the same plan and go to dinner and want to share a meal, you can do that.

Now as we all know, what the policy is and what the actual restaurants and servers will allow without a hassle is not always the same thing and is never going to be.

I agree. The most workable approach I think would be to simply convert the Dining Plan credits to full-party credits, i.e., for each room you get 1TS credit, and 1CS credit per day. Each TS credit gets you the number of meals indicated on the room key (2A2C = two adult meals and two child meals). It wouldn't be good for folks who want to split up and eat separately, but they can be encouraged to pay OOP for those experiences if they wish.

Again, that's assuming Disney wants to drive this "sharing is not permitted" issue further.

(I think snacks can be handled either the old way or this new way).

I believe Disney is drawing the hard line on "sharing" because they were burned so badly with the abuse of sharing meals to bank children's TS credits and using them later for adult meals. It didn't help that some guidebooks, message boards, and even CM's once told people this was a smart way to use the plan!

And, as bicker and lewis have both pointed out on other threads, the discounted price of the plan is based on a certain percentage of non-use. Disney priced the plan counting on that sometimes people would be too full to order every single meal (or every single appetizer and dessert), and that there would be a certain number of credits left over -- not for each individual family, but on an average across the board. They did not want guests running around the hotel food court while waiting for the ME to show up, saying, "Omigosh, we have 3 CS and 5 snacks left -- we don't have time to use those CS, but let's buy lunch for those strangers over there!" Definitely a very nice gesture to want to share the magic, :goodvibes but then Disney loses that "non-use" savings, and they have specified in the plan literature that credits may not be used to purchase meals for people not on your package. Same concept as the non-transferable park admission pass.

So, it's just easier to say, "no sharing". However, this could become a huge nightmare to enforce, unless Disney is going to tell all of their guests, even those paying OOP, that they are not permitted to share meals. And the servers would have to police what constituted "tasting" off each other's plates vs "sharing" a meal? What a fiasco that would be!

There are typically three reasons people say they want to share meals with other members of their party on the DDP:
*It's too much food -- they want to eat lighter, and don't want to waste
*They want to bank credits to save for a 2 TS meal
*They want to bank credits to be able to try out more TS restaurants

What's really ironic is that if Disney was fine with adults on the plan sharing amongst themselves for these reasons, there would probably be a much higher percentage of non-use, and a higher revenue from purchases made outside of the plan. For example, DH might use a TS credit, we share the appetizer and dessert, and I order a second entree and beverage and pay OOP. From the email I received, they definitely allow one guest to use a TS credit and the other to buy their meal OOP.

They could stop allowing meal splitting or institute a plate splitting fee -- which would mean a lot of disgruntled guests. They could change the DDP to require all TS credits for the party to be used in one sitting whether or not each person orders a full meal, or cut out TS meals entirely and make the plan for buffet or fixed price meals only -- both options would make guests unhappy, and would drastically reduce the appeal of the plan.

Or they could keep looking the other way, which is what they've been doing all along. And it could be, "No, we can't split your meal...but here's an extra plate." ;)

Disney has to think this through. Assume a table of 6, two couples on the plan and 1 couple not on the plan. They decide to use 3 adult credits. What is the minimum order for the couple not on the plan? Does Disney really think the server is going to be responsible to make sure the couple not on the plan doesn't touch any food from the plates of those on the plan? Suppose the two couples not on the plan each order a drink and an entrée. I can't imagine a server telling a party of 6 they're not allowed to share 3 desserts, plan or no plan. One could make the case a TS credit is designed to feed one guest, regardless of how much food the guest eats. Same philosophy as a buffet. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney did something to require a credit for each person dining, at least in some restaurants.

Disney can certainly have either a minimum order requirement or charge one credit for every dining guest, regardless of what they order. I can't see the policy you mention working.

Certainly if people are trying to feed someone not on the plan at this time, it is not enforceable. But I don't think that is a major concern.

If you have 2 adults, you can order for 2 adults or one adult.

For example my SIL and niece went to YC Galley for lunch and both were on the plan and their cards read 4 adults. Neither were very hungry, they ordered one meal and shared. No problem. However if their cards say 4 adults, they can't bring in 5 adults and order 4 meals and share.

However people on the plan want to know if they have to order a meal for each person on their plan and according to Dining, no they don't wxcluding buffets, and dinner shows. You can go under your allotment you can not go over it.

Personally I think the DDP is way over analysed. We did not have near the problems everyone seems to think they will have using it.

We split up, we shared meals, we asked for substitutions, everyone we met was more than willing to work with us.

I sounds as if sharing is definitely gone bye-bye for the DDP. While I don't think they are going to stop anyone from eating off other people's plates, I can definitely see that they will stop bringing extra plates, or splitting the food in the back. (Frankly, I'm shocked they ever did that!)

Obviously I missed the whole adult/child debate sharing....but my 2 cents and what I am struggling with this trip: I am going just with DS. He is 5. We are both on the DDP. I would prefer to share my meals with him - not to save up his credits but because for the most part the children's menus are awful. He is not macaroni/hamburger kid. He would be much happier with some of the items I am ordering. I really wish disney would offer child size portions of the 'popular' dishes at restaurants and allow them on the child's DDP. So, perhaps if that was the case some of the sharing issues would go away. Just MHO.

It will be interesting if we get any reports back from people told while sitting at a table that sharing is not allowed.

Unless Disney puts it into their dining guide, it will be very difficult if not impossible to enforce. Once people pay for the plan, they are issued credits. It does not say anywhere that sharing is not allowed, whether with people on the plan or not on the plan.

I can understand why they might want to eliminate sharing, but practical? :confused3 Not really.

I am glad they are now able to separate child from adult credits. This will help keep children eating child meals and adults having the adult credits.

I like the option of sharing. Not necessarily DDP, but just in general. Some days I just don't want a full meal, or I want to share a couple appys and entrees. When I go to Disney with friends, dining is a major part of our trip. And sharing items is always on our agenda.

(This would never apply to all you eat or buffets.) popcorn::

Unless Disney puts it into their dining guide, it will be very difficult if not impossible to enforce. Once people pay for the plan, they are issued credits. It does not say anywhere that sharing is not allowed, whether with people on the plan or not on the plan.

I can understand why they might want to eliminate sharing, but practical? :confused3 Not really.

I am glad they are now able to separate child from adult credits. This will help keep children eating child meals and adults having the adult credits.

I like the option of sharing. Not necessarily DDP, but just in general. Some days I just don't want a full meal, or I want to share a couple appys and entrees. When I go to Disney with friends, dining is a major part of our trip. And sharing items is always on our agenda.

(This would never apply to all you eat or buffets.) popcorn::

I agree with all of your points ::yes:: the one small exception is that the DDP brochure is very specific that credits cannot be shared with people who are not on your plan/package.

But with people NOT on the plan routinely sharing meals, Disney advising parents to share meals with children 2 and under, and several menus having appetizers or desserts that are meant for 2 or more people to share -- a "no-sharing" policy would definitely be a nightmare to enforce.

While dining last week we were not told no but told that it was strongly discouraged....after overhearing us talking about leaving we were then told it was discourage but if we were insistant they would allow us to. On the other hand while dining at DTD about two months ago there was no issue with sharing.

I sounds as if sharing is definitely gone bye-bye for the DDP. While I don't think they are going to stop anyone from eating off other people's plates, I can definitely see that they will stop bringing extra plates, or splitting the food in the back. (Frankly, I'm shocked they ever did that!)

Do you feel Disney will stop all guests from sharing, or just those on the DDP? I'm not sure why sharing meals is so shocking :) Lots of people routinely share meals -- some restaurants even list a modest plate-splitting fee on their menus, but most will just do it for no charge. American restaurants over the years have been making portions larger and larger to justify higher prices, so their establishment would seem like a good value. But in many places it's gotten ridiculous -- look at chains like Claim Jumper and Cheescake Factory :scared: When we eat out at home, my husband and I often set aside half of our entrees to take home before we even start our meal. On vacation, that's not an option, so we are more likely to share. But then, we're also more likely to order dessert, and coffee, and maybe cocktails before dinner... :laughing:
At the Blue Bayou at DL, DH and I split a Monte Cristo sandwich and an entree salad -- both were delicious, but neither of us could possibly finish a Monte Cristo in one sitting, it's so rich! I'm sure some people manage to, though :teeth: But splitting both entrees made a perfect meal for each of us.

Some restaurants are finally realizing that people want smaller portions and are finally offering them. A lot of places now offer half sizes of their HUGE dinner salads, and TGI Friday's just announced a new "Right Portion, Right Price" menu. I'm glad they are finally catching on -- maybe that documentary "Supersize Me" has made a difference. Of all the places we've vacationed, the most reasonable-sized restaurant portions were probably in San Francisco and Dublin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter