Shring on Dining Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good point Sammie. So we need to get the Disney Dining people to set the Guest Communications people and the reservations people straight. How do we do that?

That might take a minor miracle. Guest Communication is notorious for doing nothing except reading from a screen, they don't respond to individual situations or even try to interpret what they are reading. If they are reading, No sharing, I would believe that would be the no sharing among non members of the plan. Which is true.

I mean look how much they mess up reservation questions. Now if the restaurants are telling you no sharing then I could see the confusion. But if truly it is a reply from Guest Comm. and yet the restaurants are not stopping it, does it truly matter what Guest Comm. is saying.

Has anyone been refused at a particular restaurant?

I personally don't see what all the fuss is about. So everyone orders their own meal-big deal! I also personally woudn't care if Disney had a plate sharing fee-$10, $15, maybe $20 for signature, for people NOT on the dining plan. I have eaten at restaurants all my life, well since I was a child anyway. We go out at least once every 2 weeks, sometimes more. Granted, it is to places like Carrabba's and Outback steakhouse-we do have 3 kids with us after all. ;) We dine out on vacation, including Disney every year. I have NEVER seen anyone asking to share a meal with another person, unless it was two children splitting one adult meal. :confused3

Until I read this board, I had no idea that this many people dine at a restaurant and don't buy their own food. Is it really this common? Or, is it people trying to get more out of the dining plan?

Or, is it people trying to get more out of the dining plan?

Maybe people just thinking, 'gosh look how much money I've already spent on tickets, hotel, airfare, rental car, souvenirs ... how can I save a bit of money on food?'

We are trying DDP for the first time...I can tell you that we normally don't eat this much at all, so for us, the $40/day probably won't be a good deal. However, we are looking forward to trying new restaurants and esp ordering some app/desserts which we never do. If we don't like it, we won't do it again. I can assure you we will be wasting food ordering 2 apps, 2 entrees and 2 desserts every time.

So for us, Disney already made $$ on us b/c we never would spend $40/day normally and we are doing this for 8 days!! So I really want to say to anyone in charge of the DDP -- 'just lay off'. You got my money and now let me enjoy my food --HOW and WHEN I want it.

But DDP somehow forgot to ask me for my thoughts :rotfl2: :rotfl:

We were able to have Olivia's box up food in December.

Leftovers from a meal, or full dishes? I have also heard that Olivia's no longer permits carry out, but I am sure they'll box leftovers.

Maybe try getting that dessert, but take one bite of it and get them to box it.

I have read all of this and thought about it often. I DO want to do well with my money, but not to be unfair to anyone(including WDW). I see the point about taking up a chair, but not buying a meal. That is a valid point to me. Using a child's credits to buy an adult meal is just plain wrong to me. Because the program is marketed as a "good deal" by WDW, I assume they mean to lose a little something on the food side. But because I am paying rack rate for my room, to me that balanced it out some. I always saw the dining program as just another type of marketing. Any business gives a little in one way, and then tries to make it up in another way. If Disney tells me point blank BEFORE I buy the plan that sharing on the plan with plan members is not permitted, then that is fine. I won't do any sharing or I won't buy the plan. That is simple enough to me. But if sharing OOP is ok (I think this is common practice) and the printed material does not plainly tell me to not share with another plan member, then I feel it is ok for me to buy the meal and share it with my husband or children, (not the table next to me, etc.) even if they didn't buy a meal that particular meal. I don't know much about business and marketing, but common sense tells me that staying on property and eating on property and buying gifts on property and playing putt-putt on property, etc. makes money for Disney in the end. We are all different. A good deal on dining reeling in person A, but it is the code on the room that reels in person B. Free dining during hurricane season brings in person C and NOTHING could make my dad come, not even if Disney paid him. IMHO the person paying rack doesn't deserve anything better at that resort than the person there with a code. In the same vain, I don't deserve anything less at a restaurant than the OOP person, unless some other standard is plainly stated upfront. Just show me the rules and I will be happy to follow them. The CM's I have spoken to tell me that sharing with my family is fine. If that is not fine, then Disney needs to make that clear upfront and let us all decide what plan works for each of us. There will always be a small group of people that want something for nothing and to be the first in line always. I really think most just want to give their preschooler a few fries off their plate, their male teen the other half of their sandwich, or just want their husband's salad because it is hot outside and they're not really super hungry. I really, really think everyone should follow rules, but maybe we are over-thinking this just a bit. Melissa

It seems pretty clear to me that the purpose of the DDP is to offer everyone in the party 1TS, 1CS, and 1 snack per day. When they say "you can use them any way you want" that means (to a reasonable person) that if your family wants to do 2TS's one day and 2CS's the next, that's fine. If you want to use up all your snacks in one day at World Showcase, that's fine. You don't have to use exactly 1TS, 1CS, and 1 snack credit per day. It does NOT mean (to me, at least) that a family of 6 can share 2 TS's, regardless of whether they buy extra beverages OOP or not. That is CLEARLY not the purpose of DDP.

I would support a policy that everyone at the meal needs to use a credit until the credits are gone. I also think it's fair to say that OOP diners can share and DDP ones can't. When you purchase DDP, you're getting a good deal and in return, you use it as intended.

We dine out on vacation, including Disney every year. I have NEVER seen anyone asking to share a meal with another person, unless it was two children splitting one adult meal. :confused3

Until I read this board, I had no idea that this many people dine at a restaurant and don't buy their own food. Is it really this common? Or, is it people trying to get more out of the dining plan?

My husband and I always split meals at WDW. We've been doing it for years. There are two reasons, and neither of them have anything to do with the dining plan as we've never used it before (although we plan on trying it for the first time on our trip at the end of April). First, I hate that overly full feeling and I especially don't like eating too much at WDW because after a huge meal, I don't feel like walking around the parks....I feel like taking a nap. :) Second, we both love good food and really love dessert, but the only way we can ever fit in dessert is if we share an appetizer and an entre, as well as the dessert. Otherwise, we fill up long before we ever get to end of the meal.

We eat out a lot (hey, we live in New Orleans.....eating is a way of life....hehe), but we don't share when we eat out at home. We still never eat more than half our food, but we have them box it up to take home. That isn't desirable at WDW. Who wants to carry leftovers around the parks with them? So, splitting meals at WDW works for us. Everyone is different. Maybe other people have different reasons for sharing. Maybe some really are trying to make the most of the dining plan, as you say. My husband and I will most definitely share some of our CS meals when we use the dining plan on our upcoming trip, and we might also share at some of our TS meals. As long as the traditional "Carousel of Policy" continues to be in force at WDW, I have no reservations about asking at a restaurant if we can share.

My husband and I always split meals at WDW. We've been doing it for years. There are two reasons, and neither of them have anything to do with the dining plan as we've never used it before (although we plan on trying it for the first time on our trip at the end of April). First, I hate that overly full feeling and I especially don't like eating too much at WDW because after a huge meal, I don't feel like walking around the parks....I feel like taking a nap. :) Second, we both love good food and really love dessert, but the only way we can ever fit in dessert is if we share an appetizer and an entre, as well as the dessert. Otherwise, we fill up long before we ever get to end of the meal.

This is exactly what I was going to say. DD (11) and I are light eaters, even moreso when visting DL (first trip to WDW, but same thought). If I eat a meal that heavy I won't be going anywhere but back to my room for a nap :laughing: .
I have spent weeks looking at all the great food pictures on this board, and really want to try a lot of it. However, I know we won't be able to eat 2 apps, 2 main and 2 desserts. I would hate to throw away so much food. To avoid any conflict once we're there I decided to drop the DP from our plan. At least until Disney decides what exactly the policy will be on sharing meals with people in your party on the same plan. I've read the rules, and it seems like there are a lot of grey areas in regards to this matter. I'm sure you could go in there and argue your point, but who wants to do that while on vacation?

That might take a minor miracle. Guest Communication is notorious for doing nothing except reading from a screen, they don't respond to individual situations or even try to interpret what they are reading.
Well, actually, sometimes they just make stuff up. :)

However, in this case, it is clear they're just copying and pasting something. So the challenge is to get the people who know the presumed real policy to get the people who wrote the presumed fake policy to change their document.

We just returned last night from a week stay on the dining plan..........lots of great things to say and a couple of not so great.........

Regarding sharing: On our last full day, we had 4 TS credits left. We decided to use them at Jiko, which is a 2 credit restaurant. When the 4 of us arrived, they asked if we were on the dining plan. We told them we were, but that we were on our last day and had only 4 credits left(as opposed to the 8 we would need for our party).......no issue there, we just needed to pay out of pocket for the extras. They offered our 10 year old son the children's menu, even though we said he was 10. He ordered from the kids menu. Our daughter ordered an entree from the adult menu. My DH and I ordered appetizers and entrees and desserts. All four of us shared the apps and desserts, as well as the entrees........our server, Tiffany actually encouraged us to share........so, it didn't seem to be an issue at all!

Amee

My husband and I always split meals at WDW. We've been doing it for years. There are two reasons, and neither of them have anything to do with the dining plan as we've never used it before (although we plan on trying it for the first time on our trip at the end of April). First, I hate that overly full feeling and I especially don't like eating too much at WDW because after a huge meal, I don't feel like walking around the parks....I feel like taking a nap. :) Second, we both love good food and really love dessert, but the only way we can ever fit in dessert is if we share an appetizer and an entre, as well as the dessert. Otherwise, we fill up long before we ever get to end of the meal. We eat out a lot (hey, we live in New Orleans.....eating is a way of life....hehe), but we don't share when we eat out at home. We still never eat more than half our food, but we have them box it up to take home. That isn't desirable at WDW. Who wants to carry leftovers around the parks with them?

I totally agree with every single point you made. :thumbsup2 Splitting or sharing meals, at least for us, has nothing to do with trying to wring more out of the plan or get a better bargain, it has to do with wanting to try everything but not be overstuffed. We want the plan for the convenience and because it will be fun to try all those TS places, but we don't want to waste food, and you are right, it is silly to think about dragging leftovers around the parks. We also eat at restaurants frequently at home, and a lot of the time, as soon as they bring the entree to the table, I ask the server for a box immediately and set half of it aside. And I understand some families have really light eaters, or kids that are 10 or 12 paying the adult price but can't possibly eat adult portions of food.

As it stands, the point is moot anyway. Of our 6 TS meal credits, 3 are fixed price anyway (2 character meals and one dinner as part of the Fantasmic Package). So of the other three, it's no big deal, and we are actually paying OOP for another two TS meals (afternoon tea at the GF and something else, I don't remember). We'll order everything we want, the server will get their full tip on all of the items we ordered, and if it's too much food, as I suspect it will be unless the portions are very reasonable, then we'll just waste food. :confused3 I hate to do it, and it will bother me a bit (I was brought up that it's just wrong to do), but it's not worth stressing over.

I wish there were more options on the DDP -- someone mentioned 2 TS meals a day and no CS, I'd personally like a plan that offered a choice of appetizer or dessert, and no dessert included at lunch. For those who are not happy with the kids' meal choices, it would be nice to have a kids' meal included, or have an option for an equivalent discount on an adult meal (basically, you could use the kids' credit, and then pay the difference for an adult meal). Neat ideas, but I can't see they'd ever be implemented -- would just further complicate things. :rolleyes:

I have read all of this and thought about it often. I DO want to do well with my money, but not to be unfair to anyone(including WDW). I see the point about taking up a chair, but not buying a meal. That is a valid point to me. Using a child's credits to buy an adult meal is just plain wrong to me. Because the program is marketed as a "good deal" by WDW, I assume they mean to lose a little something on the food side. But because I am paying rack rate for my room, to me that balanced it out some. I always saw the dining program as just another type of marketing. Any business gives a little in one way, and then tries to make it up in another way. If Disney tells me point blank BEFORE I buy the plan that sharing on the plan with plan members is not permitted, then that is fine. I won't do any sharing or I won't buy the plan. That is simple enough to me. But if sharing OOP is ok (I think this is common practice) and the printed material does not plainly tell me to not share with another plan member, then I feel it is ok for me to buy the meal and share it with my husband or children, (not the table next to me, etc.) even if they didn't buy a meal that particular meal. I don't know much about business and marketing, but common sense tells me that staying on property and eating on property and buying gifts on property and playing putt-putt on property, etc. makes money for Disney in the end. We are all different. A good deal on dining reeling in person A, but it is the code on the room that reels in person B. Free dining during hurricane season brings in person C and NOTHING could make my dad come, not even if Disney paid him. IMHO the person paying rack doesn't deserve anything better at that resort than the person there with a code. In the same vain, I don't deserve anything less at a restaurant than the OOP person, unless some other standard is plainly stated upfront. Just show me the rules and I will be happy to follow them. The CM's I have spoken to tell me that sharing with my family is fine. If that is not fine, then Disney needs to make that clear upfront and let us all decide what plan works for each of us. There will always be a small group of people that want something for nothing and to be the first in line always. I really think most just want to give their preschooler a few fries off their plate, their male teen the other half of their sandwich, or just want their husband's salad because it is hot outside and they're not really super hungry. I really, really think everyone should follow rules, but maybe we are over-thinking this just a bit. Melissa

ITA. The DDP is being marketed and heavily promoted by Disney -- it's a nice convenience for guests, but it's definitely a moneymaker for Disney, and they seem to be doing quite well with it (now that they fixed the adult/child credit issue). If I'm going to be treated as a second-class guest because of the DDP, that I don't deserve to be treated as well as or have the same privileges as a guest paying OOP, then why was it promoted and sold to me by Disney?

The thought that the DDP is the "cheap" way to go is actually kind of amusing to me -- we're paying $80/day for DH and I (several people who don't like the plan have said they would never pay that much for food), didn't get free dining, paid rack rate for our room, didn't get a good deal on airfare...I certainly could have planned a much more inexpensive vacation :laughing: Well, next time I'll know better, and will read the DIS before planning our trip ::yes::

DH and I frequently share meals, or at the very least appetizer and/or dessert because American restaurants serve very -- sometimes ridiculously -- large portions. Last night we ate at a blues club in Union Square in San Francisco. He had 2 drinks, I had one; we each ordered an entree, and shared one appetizer and one dessert. The entrees weren't overly large, they were just about right for one serving, but neither one of us could have eaten another bite, even though we'd been walking around SF all day. If the entrees had been larger, we would have shared one, or skipped the appetizer and dessert.

If I'm going to be treated as a second-class guest because of the DDP, that I don't deserve to be treated as well as or have the same privileges as a guest paying OOP, then why was it promoted and sold to me by Disney?
I'm not sure I follow. Why is having a guest comply with terms and conditions the plan is subject to being, "treated as a second-class guest"? AFAIK, Disney has never said that using the Dining Plan provides the "same" privileges as guests paying OOP -- indeed the brochure clearly explains many limitations and intimates that there can even be more limitations than are listed in the brochure.

I'm not sure I follow. Why is having a guest comply with terms and conditions the plan is subject to being, "treated as a second-class guest"? AFAIK, Disney has never said that using the Dining Plan provides the "same" privileges as guests paying OOP -- indeed the brochure clearly explains many limitations and intimates that there can even be more limitations than are listed in the brochure.

That's just it -- it now seems there are terms and conditions that are not clear in the literature before you buy the plan. "Ah, almost. There're a few provisos, a couple of quid pro quos..." :genie: What good are rules if someone can keep changing them after you are already playing the game?

No sharing with guests not on the plan, no sharing adult/child credits. These rules have been discussed at length, and are spelled out clearly in the brochure. But no sharing among your own party on the dining plan -- even though guests paying OOP are perfectly welcome to share? Uh, no. In fact the Dining Plan brochure states, "Use your meals and snacks in any order and in any amount throughout your package stay until your total is depleted." Two guests at a table, per the rules, can order one TS meal, or 6 TS meals, it shouldn't matter.

Just to throw some numbers out there:

2 adult guests on DDP each use 1 TS, 1 CS, and 1 snack in a day, no sharing. Cost: $39 per person, $78, including tax and tip.

2 adult guests paying OOP: eat bagels and PB in their room for breakfast. Share CS lunch combo + 1 extra beverage ($15). At dinner, share appetizer ($7), share dessert ($7), order 2 entrees ($30), 2 beverages ($4).
Cost: $75, including tax and tip.

2 adult guests on DDP, sharing some meals: 2 CS breakfasts. 1 TS lunch, shared, plus extra salad $5 and extra beverage $2. 1 TS dinner, shared, plus extra entree $15, extra beverage $2.
Cost: $39 per person, $78 -- PLUS $28 (including tax on $7 lunch and $17 dinner, and 18% tip on $17 dinner items) -- $106 total.

I must be missing something. How is the third scenario getting off "cheap" or trying to make the DDP "more of a deal"? How is the third scenario a financial detriment to Disney? Again, the whole sharing issue is a moot point for us since we aren't trying to bank credits for a signature meal (which can be a serious mistake financially, but that's another topic...) If anything, it's convinced me more than ever that it makes more sense for our vacation budget to just order 2 complete CS meals at breakfast/lunch and 2 complete TS meals at dinner, whether or not it's too much food. Makes a hella lot more sense than paying $28 more to get less food so it won't be wasted :laughing: And then we won't tie up a TS restaurant with a lunch ADR, so it will be more accessible for the locals, I don't have to cook or clean up on my vacation or eat peanut butter sandwiches -- everybody's happy, right? :teeth:

However, katiebell, you guests who are sharing are having 2 table service meals and your guests paying oop are only having 1.

You would have to price it like this:

2 adult guests on DDP, sharing some meals: 2 CS breakfasts. 1 TS lunch, shared, plus extra salad $5 and extra beverage $2. 1 TS dinner, shared, plus extra entree $15, extra beverage $2.

Cost: $39 per person, $78 -- PLUS $28 (including tax on $7 lunch and $17 dinner, and 18% tip on $17 dinner items) -- $106 total.

2 adult guests paying OOP, sharing some meals: 2 CS breakfasts with drinks($6 per breakfast plus $2 per drink). 1 TS lunch (appetizer $6, entree $14, dessert $6, drink $2) shared, plus extra salad $5 and extra beverage $2. 1 TS dinner, shared (appetizer $7, entree $17, dessert $6, drink $2), plus extra entree $15, extra beverage $2.

Cost: with tax and tip $122 and that's being really conservative on the prices of entrees and appetizers (Le Cellier could cost almost twice as much).

I understand, PrincessTrisha, and there are too many more factors to consider, at least without a marketing degree: lunch entrees are typically less expensive than dinner entrees, restaurants often offer a "special" at lunch, people who might order appetizers and desserts with dinner are not likely to do so at lunch as well, at lunch the popular restaurants aren't as likely to be booked to full capacity and may welcome extra patrons, at dinner patrons are more likely to order extras like alcoholic drinks and after dinner coffee...oh, and don't forget, my OOP example folks are eating peanut butter and bagels for breakfast in their rooms, not CS, because there is no way they would ever spend $40 a person per day on food, and that's why they aren't getting the DDP -- and you also have to figure in their discount on the TS meals with the DDE! :rotfl2:

The example I gave was very basic, and using some average cost figures. The point I'm making is that with two adults on the DDP, you are allotted 2 TS meals and 2 CS meals a day. If you share the 2 TS meals at lunch and dinner to spread it out more over the day and avoid overeating or wasting food (the rationale many people use, and the reason I would choose to do it), you are using the same number of credits and ordering the same amount of food, and paying additional OOP for food over and above the plan cost. I hesitate to even use the term "OOP" here, because the money I'm paying up front for the DDP is coming out of the same pocket, it's just paid for in advance. :laughing: It's simply not worth it to pay more to waste less. You also have to consider if you will get tired of keeping 2 TS reservations every single day, and might end up at CS instead with leftover unused TS credits at the end of your vacation.

And folks that are wanting to share meals to bank TS credits for signature meals really need to look at menus and crunch some numbers -- the break even point on the plan seems to be about $25 for a TS credit. So it only makes sense to use DDP credits for a 2 TS meal if a meal for one adult comes to more than $50, including tax and tip.

How about instead of OOP we start calling it OTP (off the plan) because I agree, it's all coming out of the same pocket or wallet.

And I agree that there are lots of variables but I still believe in comparing apples to apples.

I also think that sharing is going to become less of an issue at most restaurants if portion sizes continue to become more reasonable. For instance, at the Coral Reef, I don't feel that the meals are "share-able". Appetizers and desserts are becoming more "single serving" and less, "order 1 for the table". (and I don't care because I will pretty much always go with the dining plan so single servings suit me and my family just fine).

I also think that sharing is going to become less of an issue at most restaurants if portion sizes continue to become more reasonable.

But as portion size decreases, will the prices decrease, too? (Answer: Doubtful) I'm all for correct portion sizes but then the restaurants shouldn't make the entrees the same price, ya know?

I'd rather pay $10-15 for a TRUE one serving meal than pay $20 for a larger portion. But I think restaurants rather put a little more on the plate so they can charge the higher prices...forcing people to waste food or attempt to share or get leftovers.

Then again, you have my DH and Father...if they had to eat a TRUE one serving meal, they'd complain they left hungry!

Trisha, I like the idea of calling it OTP, good suggestion, and more accurate.

I guess in comparing apples to apples, I would compare what someone on the DDP pays if they don't share any meals vs if they do share meals and order extra menu items. That's where I see the difference between the $78 and the $106.

For the people not on the plan who share, like the example you gave of the couple that spent $122, that's more of a contrast...the "orange" so to speak, or maybe a pomegranate or some rare and exotic fruit :cutie: Because if they eat TS meals every day and spend that much, they'd probably just buy the DDP -- or the DDE if they are eligible! :laughing: I included my example as an illustration of posts I've seen from people who choose not to buy the plan who say: they feel the plan just has too much food; they buy groceries and eat breakfasts and snacks in their room (particularly DVC members); they would never $40 a day per person for food; they have the DDE card and it's a better deal for them; they have a car and visit other places in and around Orlando; and/or they don't like to have a TS meal every day.

Those are all perfectly valid reasons for not purchasing the DDP -- and if we were in their situation, it wouldn't be a good value for us, either. However, we're not. Like many, many WDW guests, we're flying in from out of state. We're staying onsite, using the ME from the airport, so we won't have a rental car, and we have no desire to try to navigate an unfamiliar city looking for restaurants that may or may not be good. We have a limited time at WDW, we've never been there before, so we don't want to visit Sea World, Universal, etc. WDW has a reputation for great, fun restaurants we'd like to try. DH and I like to have a TS meal every day of our vacation. So, the DDP seems to be an excellent fit for us -- although I certainly understand it's not for everyone.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is the implication that people who choose to purchase the DDP are dumb for doing so, it's a rip-off, or they are cheap and tacky and trying to get something for nothing if they ask about sharing meals to avoid overeating or waste, or even to save credits for a special meal or show. I've seen those types of comments on this and other threads, and I don't believe they are fair. It is a very good deal for some families. Yes, there are a lot of folks who are waiting with bated breath to see if a free dining period will be announced. Well, why not? If they are willing to visit during WDW's slowest season, when it is hot and muggy and hurricanes are possible, AND pay rack rate for their room, why shouldn't they take advantage of the offer if Disney presents it? :confused3 Ah well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't see that it has to be so "us vs. them". :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter