$#%@! Shutter Delay

Amy

MamaGrumpy
Is there ANY digital camera out there that doesn't have that horrible shutter delay? Our marching band was in a parade yesterday and I tried to take pictures of my boys. By the time I spotted each one and pressed the button to take the picture, they'd moved on and I ended up with a shot of the row behind them! Grrrrrrr. :furious:

I know I need a new camera - I'm currently using a Canon A70 (and I know about the recall for the display - it was acting up yesterday, a hot, humid day). I really do like this camera, though, and would like to stick with a Canon. What about that S2 IS model that everyone here seems to like - how bad is the shutter delay on that? A digital SLR is not in the budget; need to keep it under $350 or so.

Any suggestions?

Some of the bridge cameras, ie: FujiFinePix 5200, Canon S2IS, S3IS, Sony H5 and the like have a better shutter lag time than regular P&S digital. dSLR's have virtually no shutter lag. The least expensive dSLR right now is probably the Pentax *ist Dx at about $350 (depending on the web site you find) after the rebate. You can add a relatively inexpensive lens for about $200-250. You can also find a Nikon D50 referbished for about the same cost plus cost of lenses (an 18-55mm lens can be had for less than $200, or a referbished 18-70 {which is what I have} can be found for a little over $200.

What do you mean by "bridge camera"? I assume it's more than a point & shoot but not quite an SLR? My Canon A70 has modes for total manual, shutter priority, aperature priority, so is it considered a bridge camera?

from camerapedia.org A bridge camera is "A single lens reflex with a fixed zoom lens, intermediate between the point-and-shoot compact and the system SLR. Also called ZLR for Zoom Lens Reflex. "

You might want to look at this review of the Fuji S5200 from Cnet.com. There is a graph that compares several cameras in this group including the Canon S2 IS for shooting speed. Here's a link .

The S5200 actually performs well in the department which is one of the reasons I decided to purchase it over the Canon. I have read lots of wonderful things about Canons in general though. You just have to decide what features are more important to you and go with that. I have yet to find the "perfect" camera...well not without spending part of ds's college fund anyway! lol

Shutter delay was the main reason I threw in the towel on P&S and went back to SLR photography with a dSLR. The only trick I had to help get around some missed shots with the P&S was to partially press the shutter release which will pre-focus, set W/B, ISO speed, f-stop, etc.

Mike

It used to be that a DSLR was the only way to get digital without a shutter lag. I was told that the problem has been greatly reduced with newer digital P&S cameras.

Checking the specs on DPReview, I see the Canon A700 (presumably the current version of your camera) has the following lag times listed:
Full Press Lag: 0.4 seconds
Half Press Lag w/ live LCD: 0.09 seconds
Half Press Lag w/ viewfinder: 0.05 seconds

The Canon S3 doesn't appear to fare any better.

I couldn't find a lag time listed for the Canon D30 DSLR. I suspect that it is somewhere around 0.05 seconds. So from a very, very limited review, it looks like Canon has only solved the problem of shutter lag for P&S cameras if you can prefocus. If you can't, well, half a second is a long, long time when people are moving.

You might try browing the reviews at dpreview.com and looking under the "Timing & Specs" section on the reviews. Perhaps there are some P&S that have solved this problem.

I can truly appreciate your budge issues!!! but I agree w/ Mike - shutter lag was my Number 1 reason for going Dslr and man, the difference is amazing!

Good luck! Let us know what you go with and how well it suits your needs! :thumbsup2

i did read the review for the fuji 5200 on www.steves-digicams.com and it said it was good...

but same as some of the others that was one of my main reasons for getting a dslr

I just brought home the Canon S3 Is and was using the A70 for the last 2.5 years. Love the S3Is it is great and the lag time is greatly reduced. I am very happy. I am using an Ultra II card with it.

Pj

Thanks so much for your replies! I'm going to do a lot more research before plunking down my $ for a new camera. (Actually, I'm hoping Santa will bring me a new one, but I have to tell him what I want. :) ) The digital SLR's sound really nice, sort of like my old film SLR - I had (still have, just don't use any more) a Pentax MeSuper, a few different lenses, and took some pretty nice shots. But that was just way too much stuff to lug around. I guess if I want the convenience of a smaller camera, something has to give. Next time I'll have to try to "half-press" the shutter and see if that reduces lag time. Half a second doesn't sound like a long time, but when you miss a shot of your kid......

Thanks for the links to those websites - chock full of info and ratings! Now I just have to hope for a slow day at work tomorrow :teeth:

Boy can I relate! I tried to take a pic of my son as he was walking across the stage to receive an award that he worked very hard for last June - the shot I got was of him walking away with his head down. :furious: Budget is an issue for me as well but it seems the Canon Rebel XT may go down in price pretty soon. Actually I saw it on Costo.com with a nice printer thrown in - total price $799. I priced the printer by itself and most sites had it for $100 so the Costco deal sounds pretty good.

Amy said:
Thanks so much for your replies! I'm going to do a lot more research before plunking down my $ for a new camera. (Actually, I'm hoping Santa will bring me a new one, but I have to tell him what I want. :) ) The digital SLR's sound really nice, sort of like my old film SLR - I had (still have, just don't use any more) a Pentax MeSuper, a few different lenses, and took some pretty nice shots.
The Pentax DSLRs will use all your old lenses, if you do go that route... even if you don't carry them around, you can still get some use out of them now and then to maximize your options.

I managed to get an ist DL for $367 after rebate, and to say that I love it is an understatement! It looks like they're getting harder to find but the DL2 is around, or if you want to get really nice, there's the K100D with anti-shake. From my research, I wouldn't bother getting one of the competition, anyway... the Pentax is the lightest, smallest, best ergonomically, biggest screen, and the image quality is superb.

Going to the Pentax DSLR might mean going a LITTLE bit over your budget - but the difference is, you'll be happier and you won't be ready the toss the camera in the trash after a few months! It should last you for years. (And you know you'll want one sooner or later... ;) )

Good luck!

WE just recently bought a Minolta D5 DSLR. The first camera I purchased my wife was a sony point and shoot. She could not stand the shutter lag. I then purchased a minolta SLR. We had several different camera lenses, so we went with the minolta even though they were being bought out. We don't like lugging around a bunch of lenes and things but we still use a stroller for our youngest so it doesn't matter too much.

I would deffinatly go with the Pentax DSLR because you already have the lenses. You could just buy the camera body and that will help your budget.

Someone might have said it, try to prefocus next time by pushing down halfway on the shutter.

If you want to get a S2IS you might as well get the S3IS as it's down to $330 apparently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter