Since Pop Costs Way More Than All Stars In 2018, Tell Me Why I Should Pay More

BridgetBordeaux

DIS Veteran
For 2018, Pop rates have jumped a lot. The difference between All Stars and Pop is now enough to weigh the pros and cons of trying to save a couple hundred dollars for a week long stay.

How have you weighed the tradeoffs, and where would you stay in 2018?

I looked up the prices on mousesavers and was disheartened to see the price jump!

I suspect the price increase is to recover the cost of renovations. How much extra are you willing to pay? Queen bed. Murphy bed out the way when no in use. Coffee pot.

People who pay extra for Pop and don't get a renovated room are *******.

We booked a week at Pop in January. My wife and I had stayed at ASMusic a while back, but this year we chose Pop because of the dedicated bus line and also because our son is coming for his first time, and the theming is just kid friendlier. It is also slighter newer than the AS resorts, and I'm hoping we will get a refurbished room as well. Price wasn't that much more than the AS resorts when I priced the different promotional packages.

Interestingly enough, I was checking to see if prices had changed since our booking, and for Pop it was the same, but I saw Coronado Springs was available for our same dates, and if we switched our 6 day hoppers to 7 day 1 park tickets, we could book CSR for only about $200 more! But after speaking it over with my wife and friends who had stayed at both resorts recently, they all said stay with Pop. Yes, for only 200 bucks more you can upgrade from value to moderate, but CSR is really big, feels like a convention hotel, and while the pools are nicer, how much time will you spend poolside in January? We decided to take that $200 and spend it on Memory Maker instead, since it is Branden's first time.

I still wonder if we should switch though...

Last edited:
How much is the difference? And do you have kids, wife etc who would like the difference in the grounds?

we are staying at AKL in Jan and decided to head down a couple of days early. For the first time we aren't staying at POP, I can't justify the price jump.

Our DDs do not like POP and much prefer ASMO. They do not care about 50's-80's or relate to most of the icons on display at POP, but movies they love.

How much is the difference? And do you have kids, wife etc who would like the difference in the grounds?
It depends on the season and day of the week. During 2 of the lower priced seasons, the difference is between about 10 and 20 dollars per night. Not sure about the average, high, or holiday timeframes.

I found a room in January at Pop for $108 per night. Hard to beat that. :confused3

I found a room in January at Pop for $108 per night. Hard to beat that. :confused3
Double check the details, the Sunday/Thursday and Friday/Saturday rates are often more now than Mon to Weds. They don't always bump up Sun/Thurs, but that is the case for many weeks of the year in 2018.

edit: added....and what did an A/S room cost at the same time?

Last edited:
Double check the details, the Sunday/Thursday and Friday/Saturday rates are often more now than Mon to Weds. They don't always bump up Sun/Thurs, but that is the case for many weeks of the year in 2018.

edit: added....and what did an A/S room cost at the same time?

We are staying Saturday-Saturday.

I used a pin code I received in an email. ASSports was the same rate.

When I booked our package, it was averaging $126/night. It is from Sun-Sat, so there could be higher prices for Fri (and Thurs?) embedded in the total.

UT definitely has it for a bit less, I had checked this afternoon.

We're going to POP Feb 27-March 4 and are paying $177/night. I realize that is expensive, but all of the hotels are following the same pattern. Meaning the moderate hotels are also more expensive at that time. We could pay $148/night at ASSports instead, but I'm pretty excited about POP and unwilling to change.

When I booked our package, it was averaging $126/night. It is from Sun-Sat, so there could be higher prices for Fri (and Thurs?) embedded in the total.

UT definitely has it for a bit less, I had checked this afternoon.
That's what my Pop bill is for the last week of April 2018. The same week at A/S was 75 bucks less with my military discount. If someone had a zero discount and adding a Saturday night stay, that would really push the price up. Late April is what they call the Regular 2 season. Less than Spring and Summer rates, but not the lowest of the year.

We're going to POP Feb 27-March 4 and are paying $177/night. I realize that is expensive, but all of the hotels are following the same pattern. Meaning the moderate hotels are also more expensive at that time. We could pay $148/night at ASSports instead, but I'm pretty excited about POP and unwilling to change.
I have a trip for that same time and chose to stay off site in Kissimmee. They certainly place a premium price on traveling down south to enjoy the warmer weather, don't they!

I have a trip for that same time and chose to stay off site in Kissimmee. They certainly place a premium price on traveling down south to enjoy the warmer weather, don't they!
Yes they do! We're from the midwest so it's nice to go down when it's snowing up here. I'm okay paying the $177/night because it is only a 5 night trip. Not too bad.

I do think that Pop is nicer than the All Stars and not only because the rooms are new.

The All Stars are where the school groups are housed. Grad and prom parties, band and cheerleading competitions, Pop Warner, etc. A clientele of loosely supervised teens equals a lot of wear and tear on everything in the rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter