Site to see where your plane is coming from

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
I thought some time ago that there was a site that you could see where your planes was coming from
Does know know how I could find this

The last time our flight was delayed my husband seemed to know more than the gate agent just using that app.

That information is interesting but not as helpful as you'd think. Twice my flight showed as delayed by hours and increasing. First time my plane was stuck on the runway on BUF then finally canceled, weather. Similar situation with a plane stuck in MSP. Both time SW made changes. We got a plane from coming from a different airport. We were close to our original time.

A third example I was flying to Orlando. My plane was continuing to MSY. We had to stop in West Palm Beach, fuel. The flight from MCO to MSY took off, slight delay. I don't know how long it took the continuing pax on my flight to get to their destination

Last edited:
Flight Aware was not accurate on my last trip. (Or should I say they were not aware?) I was waiting at the airport. It said that the plane we were going to get on had landed at a different gate. But the actual plane we got on was still in the air at that time. It eventually landed at the gate where we were waiting.

I assume Flightaware gets it's information from airlines somehow. So it knows tail number 1234RJ has filed a flight plan from MKE to MCO, it's Delta flight 555, and is supposed to be at gate A1 and going to gate E15. Once in the air, ADS-B provides automatic tracking.

So yes, airlines could change what airframes (and therefore the tail number) are servicing what routes, along with what gates they're using. How often Flightaware (and I believe there are other sites/apps) gets those changes, I have no idea.

But the actual plane we got on was still in the air at that time
Probably a change.
How often Flightaware (and I believe there are other sites/apps) gets those changes, I have no idea.
The change shown in flightaware coincided with automatic google flight notifications (calendar linked) regarding new scheduled departure time.

Last edited:
That information is interesting but not as helpful as you'd think. Twice my flight showed as delayed by hours and increasing. First time my plane was stuck on the runway on BUF then finally canceled, weather. Similar situation with a plane stuck in MSP. Both time SW made changes. We got a plane from coming from a different airport. We were close to our original time.

A third example I was flying to Orlando. My plane was continuing to MSY. We had to stop in West Palm Beach, fuel. The flight from MCO to MSY took off, slight delay. I don't know how long it took the continuing pax on my flight to get to their destination
What does any of that have to do with FlightAware?

Flight Aware was not accurate on my last trip. (Or should I say they were not aware?) I was waiting at the airport. It said that the plane we were going to get on had landed at a different gate. But the actual plane we got on was still in the air at that time. It eventually landed at the gate where we were waiting.
It seems pretty accurate to me. In your case, the airlines likely made a change at the last minute to accommodate crew requirements or flight delays or something.

FlightAware can't predict the future. It can, with a short delay, tell you where you plane is.

What does any of that have to do with FlightAware?
My, evidently poorly written, point...using flightaware to find out where is my plane now is only useful to a point. Large delays for an incoming plane can result in an airline changing equipment. A 3 hour delay can quickly change to 30 minutes. It can be an issue if you based your airport arrival on a 3 delay.

Early morning flight. I use where is my plane now to see if my plane arrived last night

My, evidently poorly written, point...using flightaware to find out where is my plane now is only useful to a point. Large delays for an incoming plane can result in an airline changing equipment. A 3 hour delay can quickly change to 30 minutes. It can be an issue if you based your airport arrival on a 3 delay.

Early morning flight. I use where is my plane now to see if my plane arrived last night
Oh, sure. Like I wrote before, FA can't predict the future. It just relays the airline's latest information in a convenient format.

Oh, sure. Like I wrote before, FA can't predict the future. It just relays the airline's latest information in a convenient format.
Absolutely. It is interesting (maybe I'm a geek for finding it interesting). It can be interesting, to some of us, seeing how SW is able reallocate a plane when necessary. It can be dangerous using FA as a basis for changing your plans. One case the change appears to have been made while the replacement plane is on final approach. I want from having another 3 hours (or more) to kill to boarding in 30 minutes with a gate change.

I usually use the airline's app to keep an eye on my flight -- it'll show info about the inbound flight.

Absolutely. It is interesting (maybe I'm a geek for finding it interesting). It can be interesting, to some of us, seeing how SW is able reallocate a plane when necessary. It can be dangerous using FA as a basis for changing your plans. One case the change appears to have been made while the replacement plane is on final approach. I want from having another 3 hours (or more) to kill to boarding in 30 minutes with a gate change.
I'd never use FA as a basis for changing my plans. Any of the "Big 4" airlines will reallocate a plane when necessary. I'm guessing the ULCC would be the only ones who wouldn't, but might in extreme situations.

Last month, I was supposed to fly out of Medford, Oregon first thing in the morning. The plane was supposed to arrive the night before. My flight got cancelled, I think FA still showed the incoming plane was enroute. Got put onto another flight that they ended up sending an empty plane from California to service the flight.

The empty plane didn't show up on FA (as our flight) until less than 30 minutes before it landed.

I'd never use FA as a basis for changing my plans. Any of the "Big 4" airlines will reallocate a plane when necessary. I'm guessing the ULCC would be the only ones who wouldn't, but might in extreme situations.

Last month, I was supposed to fly out of Medford, Oregon first thing in the morning. The plane was supposed to arrive the night before. My flight got cancelled, I think FA still showed the incoming plane was enroute. Got put onto another flight that they ended up sending an empty plane from California to service the flight.

The empty plane didn't show up on FA (as our flight) until less than 30 minutes before it landed.
Agreed. My concern is a poster will read about FA, thinks its a great tool and then rely on it in planing airport arrival time. ULCC have fewer routes, fewer aircraft and flight crew limitations. I've read a few examples where they will add a stop, to a scheduled N/S flight, to accommodate pax who are stranded due to a flight cancellation. Probably rare.

Unless I'm at an outstation where I know the airline doesn't have any "spare" planes, the inbound flight information is more interesting than helpful. At an outstation, if the incoming flight is super delayed, you can be pretty sure that your flight will be impacted unless there is a super long layover. For example, when flying back to Paris from Nairobi, I'll check the Paris to Nairobi flight to make sure that they'll be a plane in Nairobi for my flight (though last time, the plane got there but my return was still delayed 12 hours due some issue with the crew).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter