Sizzix Sidekick question

Ilovetoscrap

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

I had a question. I just bought the sizzix sidekick and I wanted to know if anyone knows if we can use those small sizzix dies. I know it uses the sizzlits.. But I seen those single small ones in little boxes and i wasnt to use if those worked on the sidekick or if they are only for the sizzix machine..

Thanks!

No, they won't work. They are too fat/tall to fit through the sidekick.

I also just got a sidekick (for under $100 for the machine and an alphabet set!). I love embossing on it. Have you tried that yet?

hey, I also just got one to use my quickutz in. works great! (you just need to make sure you have the adaptor for it, they come in packs of ten). I think you can also use other thin dies in it as well. Also, target is now selling ellison dies (compatible with the sidekick). kate

I'll check Target - thanks for the tip.

I actually like my Quickcutz better. I like the big letters that they have, but they are too expensive. I was able to buy the Sidekick and an entire alphabet set (upper & lower case with shadow) for less than just the upper or lower case of Quickcutz. I guess I'm switching to the Sidekick for pure economic reasons.

I just went and bought some Ellison Dies and they are pretty cheap.. $4.99 each die and they work great.!.. I also bought some of ebay for about the same price..

I got our flyer from Michael's this week and it shows the Sidekick on sale for 40% as well as the die cuts. Don't know if this would help anyone. I'm hoping to get to ours by Saturday (1-1/2 hours away) to pick one up if they have any left.

I don't understand anything about the sizzix cutter, I want the die cut machine and the ABC set, but what's the sidekick or how they work?

It might be helpful to go to the Sizzix site to look at the machines, but here's a summary:

Sizzix (aka big machine)
- This guy is very heavy! It's not something you'd want to put in a closet & take out to use - or take to a crop. (I know...I tried! :rotfl2: )
- Takes all sizes of their dies, alphabets & embossing plates, including the Sizzlits, except the borders. (at least I think it doesn't)
- Needs a converter (additional $14) so you can use the Sizzlits 'cause they're so thin.
- Allows use of QuicKutz & other super thin dies with additional converters $5/10 pk (must also use the converter)
- Can cut multiple layers

Sidekick
- Lightweight & portable
- Does NOT take the large/thick dies (red, yellow, green) or alphabars
- Allows use of QuicKutz & other super thin dies with additional converters $5/10 pk
- Takes the border dies (requires a 13" cutting pad)
- Requires you to pull apart embossing folders & reset in "Sidekick folders" using their adhesive
- Cuts only a single sheet

Hopefully that about covers it. ;)

cool! thanks for the explaination piratesmate. I always look at the qk dies since some of them are so cute... may have to get the sidekick.

peapod1 said:
cool! thanks for the explaination piratesmate. I always look at the qk dies since some of them are so cute... may have to get the sidekick.

Glad to help, peapod1. :teeth:

Unfortunately, when I went to the Sizzix site to make sure I had the name of the adapter/converter right I found out that you CAN use the QK dies with the big machine! :eek: I've never looked at them because I only have the big thing - so I thought I was safe from the temptation of a new place to spend money! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: But there are instructions right on the site showing you can use them with either machine, so now I need to go check with a friend on where she buys hers! :lmao:

piratesmate said:
Glad to help, peapod1. :teeth:

Unfortunately, when I went to the Sizzix site to make sure I had the name of the adapter/converter right I found out that you CAN use the QK dies with the big machine! :eek: I've never looked at them because I only have the big thing - so I thought I was safe from the temptation of a new place to spend money! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: But there are instructions right on the site showing you can use them with either machine, so now I need to go check with a friend on where she buys hers! :lmao:

This was the deciding factor for me to buy the Sidekick instead of the Sizzix machine. I bought the sidekick because it wouldn't take the big dies so I wouldn't be tempted to buy them! :rotfl2:

piratesmate said:
It might be helpful to go to the Sizzix site to look at the machines, but here's a summary:

Sizzix (aka big machine)
- This guy is very heavy! It's not something you'd want to put in a closet & take out to use - or take to a crop. (I know...I tried! :rotfl2: )
- Takes all sizes of their dies, alphabets & embossing plates, including the Sizzlits, except the borders. (at least I think it doesn't)
- Needs a converter (additional $14) so you can use the Sizzlits 'cause they're so thin.
- Allows use of QuicKutz & other super thin dies with additional converters $5/10 pk (must also use the converter)
- Can cut multiple layers

Sidekick
- Lightweight & portable
- Does NOT take the large/thick dies (red, yellow, green) or alphabars
- Allows use of QuicKutz & other super thin dies with additional converters $5/10 pk
- Takes the border dies (requires a 13" cutting pad)
- Requires you to pull apart embossing folders & reset in "Sidekick folders" using their adhesive
- Cuts only a single sheet

Hopefully that about covers it. ;)

Is there a new version of the big sizzix machine now? And it has a crank handle? Is it available now or is it going to be coming soon? I briefly saw it on the home shopping network but I don't know too much about it. And is it better than the current sizzix? Sorry for all the questions - just want to be informed before I buy.

You're very welcome PixieDust32! ;)

Grumpy's Gal - I just got an email from Sizzix last week or the week before about the new machine being available at Target in some locations. I haven't seen it or read much about it, so I can't answer your question. Here's a link about it though: http://www.ellisondesign.com/?p=machine_accessories

I'm pretty sure that's what you're talking about since it does have a handle/crank. It says it's lighter than the regular one & wider, which would be a big plus! I get annoyed with having to trim the paper before I put it in the machine. ;) However, the regular price is higher $120 vs $80 regular price and I don't know about coupons for the new one.

Thanks Piratesmate for the website with participating Target stores. I drug my grumpy 18 month old to Target and couldn't find any. I was thinking about draging him to another one when I looked at the link.

They don't carry them anywhere in Utah. It's probably some agreement with Provo Craft (that makes the Ellison Sizzix). At least now I won't waste my time searching.

One other thing that may or may not matter. Provo Craft is releasing a new computerized cutting system (it looks like a small fax machine). I am a little concerned that they will stop making or carrying the Sizzix. But that is a complete guess on my part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter