Skyliner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmychaos

Mouseketeer
I believe I read on here that the Skyliner won’t have A/C?! Is that correct? I went on the inter webs to see if I could find any more details but the Dis is a better source of info, since y’all seem to find everything EVERYWHERE!!

I just can’t wrap my head around that. How long does the journey take between hub/resort and park? If I’m in a hot car for longer than 2 min, I turn as red as a tomato and feel like I’m in fiery pits. I can’t even imagine riding in a death trap with no air. Was it a mechanical thing? Or was it a cost thing? Because if it was the latter, it seems like that’s just asking for trouble - YOU MAKE ENOUGH MONEY, DISNEY. It doesn’t seem like windows will open, for obvious safety concerns.
Just wondering what everyone else has to say about it. Thanks!

I believe I read on here that the Skyliner won’t have A/C?! Is that correct? I went on the inter webs to see if I could find any more details but the Dis is a better source of info, since y’all seem to find everything EVERYWHERE!!

I just can’t wrap my head around that. How long does the journey take between hub/resort and park? If I’m in a hot car for longer than 2 min, I turn as red as a tomato and feel like I’m in fiery pits. I can’t even imagine riding in a death trap with no air. Was it a mechanical thing? Or was it a cost thing? Because if it was the latter, it seems like that’s just asking for trouble - YOU MAKE ENOUGH MONEY, DISNEY. It doesn’t seem like windows will open, for obvious safety concerns.
Just wondering what everyone else has to say about it. Thanks!
No AC in the Skyliner. Check the Rumors forum for details but the belief is that the movement of the vehicles will provide enough air circulating to keep riders comfortable.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...n-system-read-post-1-updated-2-22-19.3578988/

Not belief. This is an existing system, using stock parts. Doppelmayr have done these systems in many climates.

AC technology is actually not very good for this kind of system. Forced air and good glass design is far more effective.

I believe that the estimated time in them from entry to exit should be between 4-6 minutes. Like others have said no ac but it will have ventilation. The only problem arises is when the system breaks down. To be fair the monorails have broken down and left people stranded on the track. I’m sure they have an emergency plan.

No AC and no open windows? Everyone I've heard answering the concerns about no AC has commented on the breeze during the trip. Now I'm thinking of all those sweaty bodies and the SMELL!

No AC and no open windows? Everyone I've heard answering the concerns about no AC has commented on the breeze during the trip. Now I'm thinking of all those sweaty bodies and the SMELL!
...because a small closed space with poor AC volume would smell better?

You have to understand anything requiring power can only be juiced via an on-carriage system. There are no external energy sources or fuel. Battery capabilities are not sufficient to creating adequate cooling across full-day use, or even more than a few hours, between charges, especially with doors opening every 3-6 minutes. Forced air is a lot more reliable and requires zero electric capacity.

There will be forced air ventilation. It's not going to be a very long ride anyway. I'm sure this has been fairly well thought through.

Besides, it can't be any worse than half the park bathrooms these days.

Reactions: cm8
There will be forced air ventilation. It's not going to be a very long ride anyway. I'm sure this has been fairly well thought through.

Besides, it can't be any worse than half the park bathrooms these days.
Or the monorail.

I definitely think Disney will regret not putting in a/c, or using a product that has a/c. I definitely have no interest in going on that thing in the summer. Dh says they are out of their minds. Even the gondolas in Aspen get hot in the summer. And they don't pack them there. You know disney will pack you with people you have no desire to get anywhere near.

I think anyone that complains about the Skyliner not having A/C needs to take a trip to Hong Kong this August and ride their 12 year old gondola. It is over 3.5 miles long, takes 25 minutes, does not have A/C and is PERFECTLY FINE.

I think anyone that complains about the Skyliner not having A/C needs to take a trip to Hong Kong this August and ride their 12 year old gondola. It is over 3.5 miles long, takes 25 minutes, does not have A/C and is PERFECTLY FINE.
Hate to state the obvious but Hong Kong is not Florida. Plus, doesn't that gondola go up a serious mountain? Very different situation.

There's plenty of information in the Skyliner thread on the Rumors board regarding ac. The main takeaway is that people will believe what they want to believe so no minds are likely to be changed until the Skyliner is operational and folks are actually riding it,

Disney is giving you an option, you can still cram into an air conditioned bus if you like. :)

Hate to state the obvious but Hong Kong is not Florida. Plus, doesn't that gondola go up a serious mountain? Very different situation.

My point is that people are too quick to judge. No one has ridden it yet. HK isn't FL, but the climates are VERY similar. Sure, Ngong Ping goes up a mountain, but it's the best comparison I can think of, unless you know of one better.

Skyliner rides will be so fast, it'll be over before anyone has time to complain. They're less than a mile per leg!

relax...it will be fine. I have been in similar gondolas at ski areas when it is -2 or 92.....there is plenty of ventilation from the vents. the cars move at a decent speed and create plenty of air flow.

...because a small closed space with poor AC volume would smell better?

You have to understand anything requiring power can only be juiced via an on-carriage system. There are no external energy sources or fuel. Battery capabilities are not sufficient to creating adequate cooling across full-day use, or even more than a few hours, between charges, especially with doors opening every 3-6 minutes. Forced air is a lot more reliable and requires zero electric capacity.

Doppelmyar Omega V has AC. It’s not a technology issue, it’s a cost issue. Disney is saving money going without AC.
I like Disney as much as anyone, but you don’t have to search long to find a long list of mistakes Disney has made. They miscalculated the AC load for the most expensive rooms at the polynesian and customers had put up with noisey back up units until the mistake could be corrected.
Hopefully AC units can be retrofitted on the cabins if the gondola routes are located in hot stagnant areas.

Those interested in continuing the discussion may do so on the News and Rumors Board. Link is in my earlier post.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter