Sleep Apnea equipment

clhcpaca

DIS Veteran
I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea and have gotten a CPAP machine, which comes in a backpack size carrier. I will going to WDW for two weeks in September and will need to take this with me. I know that I will have to carry it on the plane, but my question is: Will it count as my piece of carry-on luggage?

I usually have my purse (medium size) and my regular carry-on bag that fits under the seat. I am diabetic and take my medicine and snacks in the carry-on bag. I am flying from California so it is a long trip with a stopover in Atlanta.

Thanks for any assistance, Cindy:wave2:

double check with your airline but it should not count since it is medical equipment

I am pretty sure it does NOT count towards your carry-on allowance as it is medical equipment. But I would double-check just to be sure.

You should be able to find out from your airline's website.
I don't think it will count though. We bring an amazing array of stuff in for DD and it doesn't count because of it being medical/disability related equipment.

Hubby has had a CPAP for about 10 years and he brings it onboard each and every time. Although the machine is usually his only carry-on, they don't count it against the limit. There is enough room in that bag to put all of his medication also.

They do check the contents of that bag very thoroughly each and every time and one time even made him plug it in and turn it on.

One other tip - make sure you bring at least a 6' heavy duty extension cord. Sometimes the plugs are not in an ideal location in the hotel room to plug the CPAP in right next to the bed.

Carol

Originally posted by clhcpaca
I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea and have gotten a CPAP machine, which comes in a backpack size carrier. I will going to WDW for two weeks in September and will need to take this with me. I know that I will have to carry it on the plane, but my question is: Will it count as my piece of carry-on luggage?

I usually have my purse (medium size) and my regular carry-on bag that fits under the seat. I am diabetic and take my medicine and snacks in the carry-on bag. I am flying from California so it is a long trip with a stopover in Atlanta.

Thanks for any assistance, Cindy:wave2:

No it does NOT count as baggage it is medical equipment and the MUST transport it at no additional charge. All the details of the laws regarding air travel and the disabled are in "New Horizons" a booklet put out by the Dept. of Transportation, look it up on their web site. I always carry it with me when traveling, the other thing to remember is CRO crisis resolution officer, if you have a problem with anyone at the airline demand to se the CRO right then and there. They know the law and will help you. There must always be one on duty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter