Slightly OT, but not really...

I use both horizontal & vertical...and I've always cut mine in 4's. With the patterned paper you get 2 H mats & 2 V mats, and I usually give people one of each. I try to do the same as Hope with embellishments-make them where they'll work either way, or put them on loosely so they can be moved around. :)

I use both and make both. I try very hard to make the embellishment able to work for both. I figure, even if the paper is going the "wrong" way, it won't be so noticeable once the photo is one it.
When I can't make the embellishment be multi-directional, I try to make one of each for the set.

I always think of Susan when I make mats. That poor girl must think I cyber stalk her. :rotfl2: But I try to be sure that she can use my mats. If she can use them, then everyone should be able to. :)

Alright--I feel silly, I never thought about making more cuts in the paper. Here's a photo of what I think Erin was saying:

DSCN0123.jpg

As you can all see I can't draw a straight line, but, I think this is the right idea ;)

yep that's exactly it. And the center of the leftovers can be trimmed to make a journal box. I also use the strips to cut into journal strips. I used that in one of my AK complete pages swaps.

:rotfl2: I did! A loooooonnngg time ago. BAMB was in on that tutotrial too. I thought there was a link to it somewhere.

I can't find it!! I thought it was in the scrapbooking FAQ but it's not there.

Oh and as for mats, you get what you get unless it is a specific printed pattern that would look funny if it were sideways.

I use a rotary blade sliding cutter - a Fiskars I think. Anyway, on the cutting bar I have marked where the blade handle will be when I cut 4-1/4. This way I don't have to mark up my paper. I just extend it a little when making the bigger cuts. Reminds me, I need to re-ink the mark.

I use a rotary blade sliding cutter - a Fiskars I think. Anyway, on the cutting bar I have marked where the blade handle will be when I cut 4-1/4. This way I don't have to mark up my paper. I just extend it a little when making the bigger cuts. Reminds me, I need to re-ink the mark.

That is an excellent idea :) I'll go do that right now!

WOOOOOOOW and here I was letting my cricut do it all the time.This helps out a ton:thumbsup2
I make both H and V and I take both kinds of pics.

Sorry to have started a thread and then disappeared - it's been a busy last few days.

I'm happy someone posted the directions for getting 4 mats out of one piece of paper. I read it on here years ago, and it was a money saver for me too.

Almost all of my character photos are vertical -- my kids are tiny. If I didn't turn the camera I would havea photo of my kids' heads and Goofy's stomach:rotfl2: Plus I like to see the whole character in the photo.

Me too! Every character photo I have is vertical. But after doing a few swaps on here, I take two photos with the characters now - one vertical and one horizontal, so I could use a swap photo mat, just in case.

But it's good to hear about the "detachable" embellishments for people to change as needed, I'll have to do that next time too.

But after doing a few swaps on here, I take two photos with the characters now - one vertical and one horizontal, so I could use a swap photo mat, just in case.

:rotfl2: I'm glad I'm not the only one who specially taks photos to use swap stuff:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter