slo’s THURSDAY 7/27 poll - Universal Studios

Universal Studios - Have you been, which one did you visit, when was your last visit? (M.C.)

• I’ve been to Universal Studios California

Votes: 40 34.8%
  • I’ve been to Universal Studios Florida

Votes: 86 74.8%
  • I’ve never been to Universal Studios

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • I’m going this year - 2023

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I was there this year - 2023

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • I was there last year - 2022

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I was there in 2021

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • I was there in 2019 or 2020

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I was there in 2018 or earlier

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Have you been to Universal Studios?
If yes….which one? California or Florida?
When was your last visit?
(multiple choice)

For Me…...My DH and I went to Universal Florida in January 2019.
We really enjoyed it (me more than DH since I’m a big Harry Potter fan). We’d like to return so my DH can see the new Minion Land (I’m not a Minion fan, but he is) and for us to ride Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure (this opened shortly after our trip).

IMG_1191.jpeg

I like Universal, but not nearly as much as Disney. Sometimes I tack on a day for it, but not that often. I actually greatly prefer Universal Hollywood to Orlando, and want to go see the Mario stuff. Actually, I really want to go to Osaka to see the bigger Super Nintendo Land. I'll get there at some point.

DH and I went to Universal in Florida once, more than 20 years ago. It was when the Back to the Future ride was popular. We enjoyed it, but as we have no plans to go back to Disney we probably won’t go back to Universal either.

We're going to Universal Orlando in December to the Orlando Informer Meet-up for two nights. Should be low crowds and let us do everything we want to do in the two days with food and drinks included. Coming from the UK it's actually a quite affordable way for us to do it. Taking a couple of newbies so looking forward to their reactions. Love the parks at Christmas!

At this point, I'm enjoying Universal Studios Florida more than WDW. We visited in 2021, 2022 and 2023. Our last visit was in April. I expect us to go again in April 2024.

My kids really enjoy the Harry Potter stuff (not super fans, but they like it) and the Simpsons. I love Minions and Seuss.

The hotels are great. The food isn't bad. Good shows and street entertainment. The vibe is way less hectic. And basically, I'm enjoying the fact that you don't have to be glued to your phone and plan everything months in advance.

The kids really want to go to Universal Studios California. I guess we'll have to go at some point.

Edit: PP just reminded me that Christmas at Universal is outstanding. Grinchmas is everything wonderful about the holiday season. That's all.

Second Edit: Derp. Also forgot that the Macy's mini Christmas parade at Universal is also the best. Saw it with the family last year. Literally brought tears to my eyes. (almost as good as the MSEP 😭)

Last edited:
I’ve never been there and honestly no desire to go. I’m not a Harry Potter fan or minions. If I find myself say in Florida I’d pick other places to visit.

Now years ago my dh had a work conference there and if I was available to go I would have went since hotel, etc was paid for.

I've been to both CA and FL, but not for a long time. I think for CA it was 1996 and FL was sometime in the early '00s. IOA was open, but pretty new.

I've been...years ago.
Last time 2015....DGD was in a stroller and there wasn't much for her to do.
We left and took her to MK the next day while the others went back for their second day.
Disney is better to me. Better theming. I don't do the thrill rides as much anymore.
I do love the Harry Potter areas, but not enough to go back to the park again

Big Universal fans here. Went this year in June, going again in Oct, Went 2 times last year.
Since 2000, gone about 3-4 years or so, then got APs in 2021...when Disney still wasn't offering them.
First trip in 2000, all my son wanted to do was get the ticket to the mock up game show and tour the studios. I remember the Alfred Hitchcock experience freaking him out..me too
Favorite rides are Men in Black, Mummy, Spiderman--so a lot of ones that have been there a while, and now Velocicoaster. It's the most awesome coaster in Orlando.
Wizarding World of Harry Potter, esp Diagon Alley, is the most immersive theme park experience out there. As soon as you go behind that wall....magic. So incredibly themed. Frozen butterbeer and butterbeer ice cream.....dreaming of it now....
Like Disney, one can get tired of the sameness, so we enjoy going during special events-Mardi Gras, Halloween Horror Nights (we're addicted now.) and the holidays.

I have been to Universal, once. Me, my daughter who was in college at the time and my sister went the 2nd year of Harry Potter etc being open.
It was fun.
I will probably never visit again simply because of cost and time.
If I have one week (like my upcoming trip-no car) I don't want to take a day out to go to Universal. I do not see ever having an extended vacation in that area again.

I have an AP for Universal Orlando and try to go whenever I'm visiting family in Florida. Sometimes I do weekend trips while staying at Cabana Bay and it's very nice! I LOVE Volcano Bay and think that it's superior to Disney's water parks.

Universal is way more chill than Disney IMO. I love the thrill rides and the water rides even if they soak you to the bone. Hagrid's and Velocicoaster are the best rides in Orlando IMO.

I'm going back this September for Halloween Horror Nights and it'll be my first time going to the event!

As for Universal Hollywood, I went there probably 10 years ago and remember really liking the Studio tram tour but that's about it.

Last edited:
Yes, California in 2007 - I think - Enjoyed the backstage tour, but the rest was just OK. Last time in Florida was 2021 primarily to ride Hagrids Motorbike. Got on a few other rides, but It was brutally hot and we left around 2 PM.

We’ve been to Universal in Florida once, about 20 years ago. Didn’t really care for it. Have had no desire to return even with the addition of all the Harry Potter stuff since I’m not a fan of that either.

We've gone three or four times. Once our boys got a little older, they preferred US FL to WDW, so we tended to go there instead of Disney.

I took my girls when the youngest was 11. On her birthday she got to do the wand experience. On my birthday we ate at the Leaky Cauldron. It was amazing.

I love universal studios back in the 90s it’s OK now I do love Harry Potter land but I can’t do roller coasters and that’s all it is now so I mostly just wander around looking at things I did go last year. I had a very nice lunch there and I enjoyed looking at it but for the price of the tickets it’s just not worth me going too often, I went for other family members
The one thing that really drives me nuts about universal studios is their rides are very loud
But I really did enjoy seeing Harry Potter. I do love Harry Potter I rode the train several times.❤️❤️❤️❤️

We went in California and we surprised how much we LOVED it :lovestruc; it was every bit as enjoyable for us as Disney. It would be our first-choice theme park for a return trip to Orlando, should that ever happen. Planning for WDW just seems daunting and potentially disappointing now, since there have been a million changes.

No interest in Universal or any other theme parks. We are fans of Disney, we like the characters, the stories, the art and the history of the company. We do have a DGD who is getting interested the in the Harry Potter books, if she asked to go we would make it happen. :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter