So, I think I've been "Disney Shamed"...

So, last night out of the clear blue, someone I know basically "Disney Shamed" me. Like, it was that "(As a single adult with no kids) Why go to Disney when you can go so many other places?" conversation. I basically told him, "You know, I like it. If it's not for you, that's fine."

I must say I was annoyed by it. This is someone I'm good friends with, so I know he didn't really mean any harm, but why can't people just respect the fact that we all have different tastes in things?

Has anyone ever encountered this? How did you deal with it?

Grrr, that kind of thing makes me so mad, and frustrated. I, too, had a good friend who would tell me, "You've been there and done that. Try somewhere else next. We always go to Paris and it's wonderful. You should try it." Don't they realize that they just said they go to Paris many times and love it, but because I go to wDW as an adult, then that's not "right".
It is a frustration and I just think some people will never "get it", so I just avoid telling certain friends about our trips to WDW. Maybe I'm a chicken, but it saves all the same old tired remarks. It's also kind of sad that they never get to experience this wonderful place because of preheld prejudices.
So, yea, I know what you are gong through.:)

As a DVC member who has been going 1-4 times a year since 2003, I get it all the time. My in laws are also DVC but I get it from my side of the family and occasionally from friends/neighbors. I get the 'you're going again?!?!?!?!' or the 'must be nice'.

I love when I get it from a family who has a beach place they go to EVERY summer. Cause I think 'what's the difference?'.

As a DVC member who has been going 1-4 times a year since 2003, I get it all the time. My in laws are also DVC but I get it from my side of the family and occasionally from friends/neighbors. I get the 'you're going again?!?!?!?!' or the 'must be nice'.

I love when I get it from a family who has a beach place they go to EVERY summer. Cause I think 'what's the difference?'.
My family is the same way going to the beach every year. I sit at a desk all day for work. When I'm on vacation I'd rather be on the go instead of plopping myself in another chair on a beach. I don't understand why its so much bigger of a deal than if I'd get a condo on the beach. That can get just as pricey.

Just happened to me this weekend. Not a solo trip, but going on a girls trip with 2 best friends. I mentioned the trip to another (non-Disney loving) friend and got the most confused look followed by "why would you go there for a girls trip"? Ummm....because fun rides, Food and Wine, nice dinners, Food and Wine, laying by the pool....and did I mention F&W?? :)

Just happened to me this weekend. Not a solo trip, but going on a girls trip with 2 best friends. I mentioned the trip to another (non-Disney loving) friend and got the most confused look followed by "why would you go there for a girls trip"? Ummm....because fun rides, Food and Wine, nice dinners, Food and Wine, laying by the pool....and did I mention F&W?? :)

Some people don't get that Food & Wine is specifically marketed to adults. It does include an adult beverage in the name after all.

Grrr, that kind of thing makes me so mad, and frustrated. I, too, had a good friend who would tell me, "You've been there and done that. Try somewhere else next. We always go to Paris and it's wonderful. You should try it." Don't they realize that they just said they go to Paris many times and love it, but because I go to wDW as an adult, then that's not "right".
It is a frustration and I just think some people will never "get it", so I just avoid telling certain friends about our trips to WDW. Maybe I'm a chicken, but it saves all the same old tired remarks. It's also kind of sad that they never get to experience this wonderful place because of preheld prejudices.
So, yea, I know what you are gong through.:)

Sounds like a good segway into DCL and Adventures by Disney(which most people don't know Disney offers). The latter specifically has some adults only trips. Plus, Paris, as great a city as it is, is still relatively tame when it comes to international destinations. I would choose Morocco, India, China, or Egypt for a good adventure. Been to Colombia and definitely recommend, but I am looking for something else on my next international trip. Also, those people that mentioned Paris do realize they have a Disney park as well?

My family is the same way going to the beach every year. I sit at a desk all day for work. When I'm on vacation I'd rather be on the go instead of plopping myself in another chair on a beach. I don't understand why its so much bigger of a deal than if I'd get a condo on the beach. That can get just as pricey.
Yeah, cause the beach people have their fave restaurants, ice cream places and putt putt and whatnot. Similar costs. Same familiarity and nostalgia.

I've had comments about how artificial it is, how it doesn't reflect the real world, how it's so much better to go to real places rather than fake ones, etc. Thanks. I've been to many of those real places - probably more than most of the people judging - and enjoyed them and I will go back to many of them and to other new places as well. And I will continue to go to Disney as many times as I like. I don't ask that they enjoy my vacations or even that they understand what my vacations are about (getting away from the real world, nostalgia, simple enjoyment, shared enjoyment with others, shared time with DH, stress-free logistics once I'm there, I just happen to like it, etc.). I only ask that they knock off the I'm better/more cultured/superior/worldly/sophisticated attitude and do their own thing. And I'll do mine. And I don't need to explain myself. Fortunately most of my current colleagues and friends (and some family) are fine with it; they may not understand or want to do it themselves but they get that we are different people, with different desires and interests and vacation needs.

I have reached a point in my life (read: old) where I know what I enjoy doing and don't really give a Hoop-Dee-Do about what other people think about it. I certainly do enjoy trying new things - I was fortunate to spend a week in Italy last summer - but give me a long weekend, some unused airline miles, and a few extra dollars in my pocket, and I am grabbing my golf clubs, busting out the Annual Pass, and heading for Florida. No question about it. (Or maybe Disneyland, which I LOVE, but I don't have an AP there, so...) But then again I also still love perusing comic book conventions, running ultramarathons, and other things that most people consider really weird. I'm sure I was written off as not being mainstream quite a while ago! :rotfl2:

I've had comments about how artificial it is, how it doesn't reflect the real world, how it's so much better to go to real places rather than fake ones, etc. Thanks. I've been to many of those real places - probably more than most of the people judging - and enjoyed them and I will go back to many of them and to other new places as well. And I will continue to go to Disney as many times as I like. I don't ask that they enjoy my vacations or even that they understand what my vacations are about (getting away from the real world, nostalgia, simple enjoyment, shared enjoyment with others, shared time with DH, stress-free logistics once I'm there, I just happen to like it, etc.). I only ask that they knock off the I'm better/more cultured/superior/worldly/sophisticated attitude and do their own thing. And I'll do mine. And I don't need to explain myself. Fortunately most of my current colleagues and friends (and some family) are fine with it; they may not understand or want to do it themselves but they get that we are different people, with different desires and interests and vacation needs.

That's the part that grinds my gears. If Disney World isn’t your jam, that’s cool. Don’t really care whether someone likes it or not.

But I draw the line at being pretentious and making hasty and condescending generalizations about people who do like it. It’s one of the worst qualities a person can have in my opinion and I just can’t stand that crap.

Last edited:
My BIL is the worst offender toward me. He and his wife (also childless by choice, like DH and I), just make all kinds of snide comments about our Disney habits. He, however, has an entire room full to the ceiling of Stitch. I really have no idea what his deal is. So we like going to DL and they like going to National Parks. We go to National Parks sometimes too, but we also enjoy civilization and touristy areas where they prefer to avoid other humans if at all possible. All you can do is give it a big "whatever" and do what makes you happy.

<snip>... I love when I get it from a family who has a beach place they go to EVERY summer. Cause I think 'what's the difference?'.

Big difference - a Disney vacation is never the same twice with all the changes, rebuilding and new things. The beach trip is the same rental cottage, same clam shacks and junk food stands, same rickety old amusement park rides (unless more close down). :rolleyes1

I thought I heard they were getting their own day to preview but I could be wrong.
"...and that Marjorie, just so you will know, and your children will someday know..." :-)
Big difference - a Disney vacation is never the same twice with all the changes, rebuilding and new things. The beach trip is the same rental cottage, same clam shacks and junk food stands, same rickety old amusement park rides (unless more close down). :rolleyes1
This.

No two trips are ever the same. My last trip was just me leisurely traipsing around the parks and celebrating my birthday. This trip, the “centerpiece” will be the SWGE preview. In November, I’m focused on the Food and Wine Festival.

People fail to realize that there’s more to Disney World than “teacups and princesses”. I always say, “you can very much have a Grown n’ Sexy time there”. They’ve got Golf, Spas, Fine Dining, Bars and Nightlife, etc. So there’s definitely plenty to do that’s adult-oriented.

Yeah, I have several friends and relatives who "tease" me about going to DLR or DW often. A few of them who have decided to go ask me to help them plan their trip and ask for lots of advice. I don't help much other than pointing them to forums like this where they can learn on their own, like I did.
Disney isn't the only place we go. We like the national parks such as Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, etc as well as Wa DC, Boston, NYC and such.
But where else can you go and be in Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, world showcase, future world, African, Asia, Pandora, Hollywood, etc all in a matter of a few days??

Yes. Been Disney shamed many times...but frak em. I do 2 trips a year...usually somewhere new and “exciting”...and yet every other year one of my trips is to Disney. I have gone solo, with family (who have kids) and with fellow adult friends...my fave trips are the adult ones...either the solos or with my friends. I used to be embarrassed about my Disney love. These days I just shrug and say, let me know if you need help planning. I regularly travel to the same resort in Mexico so to me it is simple..I love what Disney has to offer...I know it is expensive but it’s my money and I spend as I please. I like (mostly) if a work emergency happens, I am available to deal with it. Love the rides, the characters, the food and yes that magical Disney feeling...people either get Disney or they don’t. And if they don’t...I don’t have time for their input in my vacation

Sounds like a good segway into DCL and Adventures by Disney(which most people don't know Disney offers). The latter specifically has some adults only trips. Plus, Paris, as great a city as it is, is still relatively tame when it comes to international destinations. I would choose Morocco, India, China, or Egypt for a good adventure. Been to Colombia and definitely recommend, but I am looking for something else on my next international trip. Also, those people that mentioned Paris do realize they have a Disney park as well?
When I did my Disneyland Paris trip, a couple of my coworkers kept hearing "Paris" and deleting the "Disneyland" from their brains. It became clear really quickly that they thought I was going to Paris and spending maybe one day in Disneyland, without me ever having said anything about Paris itself at all. I remember when I corrected one of them she gave me this absolutely shocked, "You're going to France but you're not going to Paris?!"

To which I cheerfully said: "Yup!"

In fairness, though, I didn't spend the entire trip in Disneyland Paris. I also went to London afterward. I just thought it was funny that people kept assuming Disneyland was going to be a side trip when in actuality it was the entire reason I was going on the trip in the first place.

Until now we've only gone a few times and with our kids, so no one has said anything. But DH and I have our first adults only trip planned in the fall. So far only my family knows, so I've gotten raised eyebrows but no comments. When I go back to work (teacher), I haven't decided how I'm going to handle it yet. On the one hand I don't want to deliberately not tell people, but on the other hand I'm sure someone will say something and I don't want to deal with it. It shouldn't bother me, but it will.
I’m also a teacher. My students love seeing me in a Disney t-shirt on dress-down Fridays. I have the reputation of being a WDW enthusiast, and recently returned from Disneyland. My principal asks me questions about it all the time. I have earned the nickname, “Disney.”

My school friends are pretty cool about it, but friends and family outside of school snicker about our frequent trips there.

When I did my Disneyland Paris trip, a couple of my coworkers kept hearing "Paris" and deleting the "Disneyland" from their brains. It became clear really quickly that they thought I was going to Paris and spending maybe one day in Disneyland, without me ever having said anything about Paris itself at all. I remember when I corrected one of them she gave me this absolutely shocked, "You're going to France but you're not going to Paris?!"

To which I cheerfully said: "Yup!"

In fairness, though, I didn't spend the entire trip in Disneyland Paris. I also went to London afterward. I just thought it was funny that people kept assuming Disneyland was going to be a side trip when in actuality it was the entire reason I was going on the trip in the first place.

Most Americans seem to forget the overseas parks, and to be honest, there aren't even many Americans who do travel abroad. Only 30% of Americans, give or take a few percent, have a passport, and most are uninterested. It's this whole idea of American exceptionalism, where people assume America is the greatest so why bother going anywhere else. Your first trip abroad is always a real eye opener.

Im so incredibly sick of ppl commenting on my vacations to Disney. How expensive it must be. Dont i want to go anywhere else? Am i aware there are other theme parks besides disney? Why do these ppl care so much. When ppl tell me where they go on vacation i never judge or tell them where they should go instead. Even the ppl who take their annual trip to the same beach house. So why do so many ppl feel it necessary to comment negatively about mine. I also find ppl will start listing off alternative options for me to do as if i asked for advice. Its truly bizarre !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter