SO many dead bees

palmtreelover08

DIS Veteran
we are staying at bldg 44, at Caribbean Beach. On way to car- I counted 8 dead bees on walkways and hall area. There are signs in the park saying they are spraying picardin (spelling?) for mosquitoes. Not sure if it is related but guessing it is. Also- five dead frogs in water at Blizzard beach (never seen that before either). Makes me sad..

They do spray for bees, not sure if it's the same spray as used for mosquitoes or not.
I was at POR pool last summer and the poor manager was getting the riot act from a guest because there were bees. She actually told him "for what we pay I expect there to be no bees" (he rolled his eyes when she walked away, and I don't blame him). Someone came later to spray around the bushes, etc. I was in the hammock at the time and the CM asked said he was sorry I was being bothered by the bees. I was quick to tell him that I wasn't being bothered by them at all. I sure didn't want anyone to think I was that crazy lady. We were outside, in the summer, imagine the shock that there are bees and Disney can't control them.
So yeah, it's sad but they do have to spray

I think they were having a bee problem. When I was there two weekends ago there were four hornets nests outside our balcony. We reported it to the front desk, but they weren't removed before we left. I saw a lot of bees walking around so I'm guessing others were complaining and Disney did something about it.

I get that they can't have people getting stung and harassed by bees- and it is an allergy issue.. but I would hope they would have the hives relocated when possible. There is a lot of press right now about declining bee populations- sad to see so many honey bees dead. (Yes- of the sampling I saw - most were honey bees, only one other type of wasp/hornet variety).

I agree with you. They don't need guests stung but it is outdoors and bees will be bees and you just can't control them. The ones I've seen are just bees being bees doing what bees do, buzzing flowers, trees, water sources, and they tend to like the bars with all the sweet drinks. I admit to not liking them myself, talked to the various bartenders about them but they agree with me, it's just something you have to learn to deal with. They don't need killing and it's not really something that can be relocated either.

I am allergic to bees. I carry an Epi Pen and meds in case of a sting. So if they are spraying for bees, they are spraying for me.

But I don't want them to spray for bees.

Most of the time, common sense will protect me from being stung. I know to keep my drink covered. To keep any snacks sealed. And to watch were I grab. (I was once stung by pulling out a chair and grabbing the bee.)

I got stung by a bee right outside Pizzafari in AK about 8 years ago. I was standing by a tree and something fell on my head, so naturally I went to brush it off. The bee helped me to determine that it was not a leaf or something similar, by stinging my hand. Luckily, I am not allergic to bees. Got handed tons of antihistamines and a benadryl pen at guest services. It's a story that is brought up almost yearly by my family and they always announce to stay away from the 'bee spot' as we pass.

There are bees and there are yellow jackets, and they look a lot alike unless you get too close for comfort. Yellow jackets (aka hornets) are truly pestilential, and anything WDW does to get rid of them is fine with me.

We were in the Startours line a couple of days ago and dodging a yellow jacket; it ended up landing on the eyeglasses of a child standing near us. He was wearing a baseball cap and the YJ got trapped under the bill. Before his Mom could pull the cap off the child was stung twice; once on his nose and again on his hand when he tried to grab the "bug" that was on his face.

As I was half-way eating a turkey leg the other day, one bee landed on it and stayed like ten minutes, sucking all the lipid it could. After that, it fled off and did not come back. (I was not bothered as I was done with that part of my meal anyway, and it let me nicely eat the other side.)

And the day before that, my wife and I had resort mugs filled with sugar-free drinks and the bees were big fans of them.

I used to think that they only cared about sugar, now I have to think again while at WDW!

I get that they can't have people getting stung and harassed by bees- and it is an allergy issue.. but I would hope they would have the hives relocated when possible. There is a lot of press right now about declining bee populations- sad to see so many honey bees dead. (Yes- of the sampling I saw - most were honey bees, only one other type of wasp/hornet variety).

You're absolutely right- we need our honey bees! I would hope that if hives and/or swarms show up on Disney property, they would have them relocated or collected by a beekeeper. I had a 10,000+ bee swarm show up at my house last year and was able to find a beekeeper to come and get them (and boy was he happy to do that).

As for the PP who mentioned the guest who "expect(s) there to be no bees" -- wow, wonder what else went wrong on their vacation? like...everything?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter