So Spring break may not be so bad...

Ohiobee

Earning My Ears
I was worried a bit about going during Spring break (ours is the week leading up to Easter). However, from recent posts it looks like there may be some advantages. It looks like most, if not all, of the construction in DL may be over. Also it looks like those days may be blocked out for AP s. So not as many locals. I expect crowds. This isn't our first trip, so there's no need to do everything. We will have 4 days, so that should help.

You'll be okay as long as you manage your expectations, which it looks like you're doing. It's great that mostly everything at DL will probably be open, even if DCA is a mess. Spring break is intense because there are just so many people. Unless things have changed since, your top 2 tiers of APs will still be there and there will be a lot of vacationing families. But, manage your fastpasses, prioritize your wants/needs, and it will still be a great trip.

I'm with you! We are going the day after Easter (wife does not want to miss family on Sunday). Our first time going during Spring Break. As our daughter gets older, its become increasingly difficult to deal with homework while on the trip. We are also going to try to do other things around Southern California for once! Maybe not hit the park every day, which will be a big change for our family.

We're there that week too! We went last year to DL over Spring Break and have spent time at WDW during peak holidays so we always manage expectations for crowds but I'm excited there will at least be things starting to open up!

Since last year, it was reported to be quite a bit more quiet on Easter Sunday in the park than any other day last year, I am trying to talk my family into going that day. Since it involves extended family, it may not work out. I don't think the whole set likes Disney that much, but about half of us do.

Since last year, it was reported to be quite a bit more quiet on Easter Sunday in the park than any other day last year, I am trying to talk my family into going that day. Since it involves extended family, it may not work out. I don't think the whole set likes Disney that much, but about half of us do.
Keep in mind that Easter was late last year, so not a lot of schools matched their breaks to Easter... this year, with more breaks around Easter, it may be more crowded. I think there were few vacationers around Easter, and locals didn’t head over because holiday... not as sure that first part will be true this year!

It sure may be low again, just wouldn’t count too much on it.

Very sorry OP but I would prep for crazy: Last time APs were blocked out (week before Xmas) it was a total madhouse. Disney didn't have full park hours, they too thought it would be quieter crowds and the parks were so full that midday Tues they extended park hours to max hours for the rest of the week. With the economy in such better shape imho blocked out APs is no longer a great way to gauge crowds because people have spending money and they are using it. They are doing the trips they've wanted to but just haven't been willing/able to spend the money on- like disneyland. I came to that conclusion because over that trip I met SO many people who were first time to the parks or it had been years (decades) since they'd been. Places like the Mint Julep bar had a line of like 3 people. Similar line at night at Carthay Lounge. Unheard of when APs hit the parks because they know all the "secrets"... that crowd didn't! (How do I define "madhouse": Monsters Inc had a 25 min wait one night, the next Ariel's had a 35 min wait, so not an actual Xmas to New Years madhouse but it was a bit much for me.)

I would prepare for busy. The Top 2 Passes are not blocked at all, the deluxe (which my family has) is only blocked on the 25, 30, 31 of that week leading to Easter. The SO Cal pass is blocked the whole time. We went last year over Spring Break and it was busy (hour wait for IASW, 3 hours for Indy, etc) If you use the FP system and go in with a good attitude (which from your post you already have!) you should still have a magical time! Also Splash and Dumbo will be down in DL.

We went last Easter Sunday and it was SO slow. Great day to go. We're planning to go on Easter again this year.

Based on an early Easter and Spring Break for many areas, I am prepared for BUSY. I specifically got the Signature Passport so we could travel during the most blockouts including the full week leading up to Easter Sunday. Last week, Disney released extended hours for the parks so they are predicting crowds too. Touring Plans has not updated the crowd calendar and it is still 9 or 10 all week long. I figure we will make us of MP, dining reservations for shows and just take it all in. Since we've been fortunate enough to go many times, there's no pressure to ride every ride :) Although I don't mind eating every snack ;)

I also think that Easter not being busy last year was due to it being in the middle of April and not in the thick of Spring Break crowd time. I think it's wise the OP is fully expecting large crowds and the fact parks have 8AM-Midnight hours and peak pricing should confirm that - but it also gives you a lot more time to get what you want done.

We were one of the lucky ones that were there on Easter Day last year. We arrived at 2 and expected to walk into a wall of people. I was shocked that the park was empty (we started in CA). Easter was very low crowds. The next 2 days had much higher crowds but was still manageable. I think that Easter being late last year definitely contributed to the thin crowds.

We were there 2 years ago on Easter Sunday. Was very suprised at the lower crowds. 20 min was the longest we waited for any ride.
very nice day.

I was worried a bit about going during Spring break (ours is the week leading up to Easter). However, from recent posts it looks like there may be some advantages. It looks like most, if not all, of the construction in DL may be over. Also it looks like those days may be blocked out for AP s. So not as many locals. I expect crowds. This isn't our first trip, so there's no need to do everything. We will have 4 days, so that should help.
Here is what you should expect looking at the blackout calendars:
DCA: Packed the entire week because Cast Members can sign into DCA that week and given how much they have been blocked this year from signing people in, they take full advantage of it while they can. Add in most passes aren't blocked out the 26th through the 29th and it will be busy.
Disneyland: Busy 26th -29th because most passes are available.

Both parks are going to be packed on the 30th because not only is it Good Friday (which more and more local businesses are giving off), it is also Ceaser Chavez day that day, so it is a state holiday, which all schools get off.

Chances are April 1st will be the least busy day of the week, with March 31st being a close second, but the other days of the week, expect very high crowd levels. When looking at crowd levels, it is always wise to consider cast member blackout dates in addition to passholder blackout dates. I also just looked at the crowd calendar on isitpacked.com and quite literally they predict:
"Forget About It" for the 26th through the 29th
"Yup It's Packed" for the 30th
"Yup It's Packed - Best Bet" for the 31st
"Hey, It's Alright - Best Bet" for the 1st

And really their predictions are fairly accurate, which do happen to coincide with mine, although we have different rationale behind why.

Also, weather may have been factor in keeping crowds lower last year.

I am not saying you can't have fun on these days, but you should have realistic expectations on crowd levels.

I would prepare for busy too. I used to live in California & went to DL many times but the busiest was Easter 2015. It just wasn’t the crowds..many of the FP were broken & many of the rides were shut down (broken) or breaking down while on it. It happened to us twice in Cars Land, It’s a Small World. So lines for all the rides were sooooo long because of the others being broken or shut down. A CM told us that all the schools in the area (private & public) are within weeks of one another for time off so it’s a constant for busy. I’m usually pretty easy going but I hated that trip. I hope you have better success. Fingers crossed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter