So what's the deal with cell phones in the parks?

deeshie

Earning My Ears
I've heard that they don't work, I've heard that they work. We're leaving in a few weeks, and I'm putting some info on my 2 1/2 year olds fanny pack in case (God forbid) we get seperated. If I put his Daddy's cell phone number on it, will someone be able to reach us if we are in the park?

Your experiences would be appreciated!

We have ATT Wireless, and in some places I had a great signal, and in others, I got nothing. For example, I forgot to turn my phone off before going on SE, and I managed to receive a call from DH while we were inside the ride(!). However, standing right outside Spaceship Earth (when I tried to call him back rather than talking during an attraction), I got no signal whatsoever. I joked that it was because the ride is sponsored b ATT.

So, it seemed to be really erratic service (but it will depend on your wireless service provider). At AKL, I had no signal, but I had no problem getting a signal at AK.

Hopefully, your child will not be separated from you. However, putting the cell phone number in the fanny pack sure couldn't hurt. At least a person could try calling to let you know that he was OK, and if you have voicemail service on your phone, then you would get the message as soon as you were able to get a signal.

--Kathy

We were at WDW in March and I spent an inordinate amount of time on my cell in the Magic Kingdom. My service at the time was Sprint PCS. I could not get a signal everywhere, and no one ever called me, but I was able to make calls most of the time. I was able to make calls at the other parks (roaming in some places), but signal was best in the Magic Kingdom.

All of ours worked. We had four in our group - with three different services - Sprint PCS, SunCom and USCellular. Just don't forget to put "Keyguard" on!! I called my Mom (at home in PA) from MGM because buttons got pressed while the phone was in my fanny pack! She said that she could hear us just fine - discussing where to go next, etc. When she realized that she was called by mistake.... she hung up to save my minutes! LOL!

Our cell phone worked fine most of the time, but on PoC and some other attractions, it wigged out when we were inside, too many electronics.

I was glad to hear we were not the only ones who "accidentally called" someone due to a cell phone redial button being pushed in a bag....My DH had our cell in his fanny pack, with camera and other stuff (only place in the world he will wear one). Well, we rode ToT and ran around for a second ride...we were in line again, when we get a call from my DS who was in college here in KY. It was 8am central time where he was,he said, you know it scares the heck out of you when you answer your phone on a saturday morning and all you hear is people screaming...if I had not heard Rod Serlings voice and known the script I would have thought you were in real trouble....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . That is a family joke now..the accidental phone call to DS from ToT...:D :D :D

Just back from the world and we used our cell phones all the time! Great way to meet up with people if you get separated.

We have Verizon and ours worked fine.

We had Sprint PCS phones and used them to communicate with the kids around the parks. Never had a problem. I think the 2-way radios would be better, but we have not purchased them as of yet.

We're on Cingular. The phones work, but somehow, if the phone's working, the magic isn't. I HATE hearing phones at Disney. I'm supposed to be in the Magic zone, not the cell phone zone. At least, put it on vibrate. Please don't put it on extra loud.

I was at the Boardwalk pool one day and heard this woman's entire gynecological past and future while she chatted with her husband as she laid out on a lounger. I was in the hot tub, so I couldn't just swim away. I was embarrassed for her and irritated that she couldn't handle that from somewhere more private.

Also, you lawyers, accountants and other types, it's hard to maintain confidentiality around 1000 other people when you're yakking loudly on your phone.

Carla

I agree Carla Kay! Why do people have to YELL on the phone? Just talk normally, people can hear you! Geesh!:rolleyes:

lol@POOHBEAR123! Good one.....

I am so glad to hear people have their cell phones during their trip...if you go to the debate board and read HAVE TO GO THERE, CELL PHONES and 2 WAY RADIOS..you would get mad...just read my posts and you will see why I got so mad at some of those posters.

I dont think at all it is bad to have a cell phone with you. You will see if you go to that thread.

I have ALLTEL service, will that pickup most of the time? I have to have a good service or I will be worried to death about my parents.

I have Sprint and Verizon, but never used them at the parks. I thought was supposed to be local (digital). Disappointed to hear it was in roam. Course, in April on a trip I had digital and could call home for just the LD rate. Then, we go to the same place, and it's in roam! I plan on brining the two-ways just in case DD gets seperated from us again. That scared me! She was 7 at the time and got confused and followed the wrong lady who looked like our friend (too many blonde women wearing white shirts!) She was aware enough to get a CM who got a security guard and took her back to the bathroom in "Germany". Needless to say, the kids carried the radios from then on.

My Sprint PCS worked pretty well all over.

I'd prefer not to use it at all, but we'd check in with DH every evening at 7:00 no matter where we were.

I'm one of those lawyers who uses a cell phone frequently. I do not yell into the phone and would never have a conversation requiring confidentiality on any cell phone. We're not all bad people.:smooth:

No, we're not all bad people. I take my phone to find the kids, the husband, keep up with whatever at home, but I try to set a time to check messages. I turn it off in attractions and restaurants without fail and most of the rest of the time. Of course, the phones didn't get a signal at Wilderness Lodge Villas when the pet sitter accidentally set off the alarm at home, so we didn't get the message from the alarm company until over twenty-four hours later. After numerous phone calls, it was all settled. It did kind of kill the vacation mindset for a while, though.

I'm a lawyer, too, so I was taken aback by the guy with all his deal papers spread on the bench at Animal Kingdom talking loudly on the phone. There are better places than that. At a certain level as a deal attorney or financial professional or investor, there are people who can name that deal in three words or less. Younger professionals seem to forget this in all the excitement.

This is not a blanket condemnation of cell phones or lawyers or any other group. It's more that people should use their judgment and the old "do unto others" thing. Of course, it all comes down to:

"People who lack social graces do not understand what you're talking about when you tell them they have no social graces." Kinky Friedman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter