So who has seen Song of the South?

No to split hairs, but here's what Wikipedia says about the setting of the movie

The setting of the film is the deep South of the Reconstruction era. Harris' original Uncle Remus stories were all set after the American Civil War and the abolition of slavery (Harris himself, born in 1845, was a racial reconciliation activist writer and journalist of the Reconstruction era). The film makes several indirect references to the Reconstruction era: clothing is in the newer late-Victorian style; Uncle Remus is free to leave the plantation at will; black field hands are sharecroppers, etc

It is not for me to say whether or not this is offensive to others, I can understand why it might be.

I think the music is terrific, and I love the effects of the animated characters combined with the live actors. :earsboy:

I have it on DVD. Bought it because it doesn't feel right going on a ride without having seen the movie. ;)

I don't think Uncle Remus is considered a bum. In fact, I think Johnny's grandmother has a great deal of respect for him.

Several years ago, we bought it on laser disc, imported from Japan. It has two sound tracks to choose from, English and Japanese -- rather comical to hear Uncle Remus speaking Japanese.

I've managed to get my hands on a copy. Like others have said, I enjoyed the animated parts but found the live action a little slow.

As to the racism, I would argue the movie actually has some radical ideas in it, at least for the 1940s. The boy immediately makes friends with the African American boy his own age. An no one seems to think anything of it. Meanwhile, the only adult who truly cares for our main character is Uncle Remus.

Yes, there are certainly things that are dated, and anyone looking to get accurate history from it will be disappointed. But why are you looking at any movie for accurate history? Instead, let's use it to start a discussion about race in history and how it is now.

And, as I said, I think this movie actually has some good lessons in it instead of all the bad that people claim it has.

I remember seeing this movie as a kid. It was the first movie that i saw that used cartoon and real people so it was kinda weird.

I've seen it. As far as the movie itself, I didn't like it all that much... I thought it was a cute story but that the live-action scenes moved too slowly, as a PP already said. The acting and songs are fantastic, of course, and I adore the animated sequences, but just looking at it as a film (and not a taboo racist piece of dark Disney history), it wasn't my favorite. I went into it with an open mind, determined to watch it without the negative connotations associated with this film in my mind... and I just didn't like it much. :worried:

As far as the racism goes... really? What part of the film is to be considered racist?? Because they allude to the period in American history where slavery was alive and well? Because Uncle Remus is in a worker's position (willingly) and enjoys it? Or because Uncle Remus is uneducated - again, part of our American history? Personally, I think Uncle Remus should be looked up to as one of the most intelligent, optimistic characters Disney has ever released. He is in a less than ideal situation (by today's standards), even though by slavery-era standards, he is very lucky to be with such a kind white family. He opts to look on the bright side of life, rather than being sad or defeatist about his situation, and shares this philosophy with the young white children around him. Saying that this film is racist because it is set in this time period is just ignorant - there is no point in pretending that this period in history didn't exist, but it is helpful IMO to show children that not everyone was in a bad situation during these times and that it is possible to still keep a smile on your face, regardless of where you are in life.

End rant.

he is very lucky to be with such a kind white family.

Ha. Yes, I'm sure the slaves and ex-slaves all felt 'lucky'.

Many african americans at the time of the release of the movie felt that it depicted african americans in a bad light. Who are any of us to say differently? They were much closer to the period in time of history than any of us today.

As far as the racism goes... really? What part of the film is to be considered racist?? Because they allude to the period in American history where slavery was alive and well? Because Uncle Remus is in a worker's position (willingly) and enjoys it? Or because Uncle Remus is uneducated - again, part of our American history? Personally, I think Uncle Remus should be looked up to as one of the most intelligent, optimistic characters Disney has ever released. He is in a less than ideal situation (by today's standards), even though by slavery-era standards, he is very lucky to be with such a kind white family. He opts to look on the bright side of life, rather than being sad or defeatist about his situation, and shares this philosophy with the young white children around him. Saying that this film is racist because it is set in this time period is just ignorant - there is no point in pretending that this period in history didn't exist, but it is helpful IMO to show children that not everyone was in a bad situation during these times and that it is possible to still keep a smile on your face, regardless of where you are in life.

End rant.

I really like the movie...I mean, it's old and slow, but it's sweet. BUT I totally agree with your second paragraph. I've never really understood the backlash against it. You hear more about how awful this movie is than any other when it's really a beautiful story. Gone With the Wind has slaves but it's a "classic". We all know slavery was bad...but it WAS. We can't ignore the fact that it happened. What's that saying? Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it?? And...wasn't it actually set after slavery was abolished so they aren't slaves? So really...it's a movie that is maybe trying to help everyone get along a little better? Meh, I don't know. But I love this movie.

I really like the movie...I mean, it's old and slow, but it's sweet. BUT I totally agree with your second paragraph. I've never really understood the backlash against it. You hear more about how awful this movie is than any other when it's really a beautiful story. Gone With the Wind has slaves but it's a "classic". We all know slavery was bad...but it WAS. We can't ignore the fact that it happened. What's that saying? Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it?? And...wasn't it actually set after slavery was abolished so they aren't slaves? So really...it's a movie that is maybe trying to help everyone get along a little better? Meh, I don't know. But I love this movie.

I think the backlash is more about how they were depicted (sort of slow/unintelligent, subserviant/obedient) than that they were ex-slaves. I don't think the intent was malicious but the fact that many african americans at the time of the release were disturbed by it is enough for me.

I believe the original version of Fantasia where the Centaurs is more racist, some old Disney cartoons and Warner Bros, as well as the Disney movie called Victory through Air Power is. I don't see Victory through Air Power being released either.

I believe the original version of Fantasia where the Centaurs is more racist, some old Disney cartoons and Warner Bros, as well as the Disney movie called Victory through Air Power is. I don't see Victory through Air Power being released either.

Except that racist old cartoons from Warner Brothers & Disney have been released on DVD including a load of WW2 propaganda. Even the "Victory through Air Power" film you mentioned.

There is no reason why this movie, which is at worst racially insensitive by current standards, should be whitewashed out of history.

Saw it all the theater as a kid back in the 80s. My brother bought a me a bootleg copy a few years back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter