Social Distancing/Busyness of Resorts?

seasalt81

Mouseketeer
My husband and I will be fully vaccinated by mid-April and we're considering a late May or early June resort only stay. Our little one, obviously, won't be vaccinated and I don't have particularly high risk tolerance, so we'll want to adhere to social distancing and avoid large crowds, etc.

I'm having a hard time figuring out:
a) how busy the DVC resorts really are right now
b) which resort would be the best for interacting with as few crowds as possible

I'm thinking OKW might be a good fit with the exterior entrances, large balcony etc. But we've never been there, so I don't know about pool space, dining locations etc.

Any feedback about the most social-distance friendly DVC resorts and/or how busy the resorts in general feel right now from those who have traveled recently would be most appreciated!

My husband and I will be fully vaccinated by mid-April and we're considering a late May or early June resort only stay. Our little one, obviously, won't be vaccinated and I don't have particularly high risk tolerance, so we'll want to adhere to social distancing and avoid large crowds, etc.

b) which resort would be the best for interacting with as few crowds as possible

I'm thinking OKW might be a good fit with the exterior entrances, large balcony etc. But we've never been there, so I don't know about pool space, dining locations etc.

Any feedback about the most social-distance friendly DVC resorts and/or how busy the resorts in general feel right now from those who have traveled recently would be most appreciated!

Polynesian sounds like your best bet for interacting with as few of people as possible as the hotel side is closed due to construction, and should be through when you plan to go. Boardwalk is also only open to DVC guests as the hotel side still remains closed.

Last edited:
One quick tip to avoiding some crowds: don't try to eat at any restaurant during peak meal time. Plan to eat during the "off" hours and you will usually find smaller crowds.

I like your idea of OKW for avoiding communal areas.
I know OKW has a few pools and some of those used to be quiet before Covid, I’m not sure how that is playing out now.
OKW is not great for dining but you can get take outs from Olivias or the gurgling suitcase if you’d rather eat in your room

I agree with poster that Poly will be your best bet in May as only the villas are open until summer.

beach club hotel side is closed till end of May. Boardwalk villas open but Inn closed indefinitely. But both of those ares are opened to more crowds due to the gondolas access from the open value/moderate and Riviera resorts. Wilderness lodge might be a good option as again only villas open. It’s a bit of a segregated location since it requires a bus to get there or boat trip and they aren’t letting people in without dining reservations so it seems to me that resort would be less crowded.
I would pick a resort that has only the villas open. OKW is fully open but no boat service to Disney springs (though you won’t want to go there) it’s a good resort if you want to hang in your room and have a car. The pool by buildings 55&56 is usually very quiet.

I'm at WDW right now (staying at Kidani now, but I also stayed at Riviera & Copper Creek in December, and Polynesian in July), and there are and always have been plenty of people around, always some with their noses sticking out & little kids unmasked. If you don't have high risk tolerance, I don't recommend Disney World. I'm being serious, not snarky, by saying that.

I'm at WDW right now (staying at Kidani now, but I also stayed at Riviera & Copper Creek in December, and Polynesian in July), and there are and always have been plenty of people around, always some with their noses sticking out & little kids unmasked. If you don't have high risk tolerance, I don't recommend Disney World. I'm being serious, not snarky, by saying that.

I actually really appreciate this feedback. I think I might've been naïve in thinking we could have a comfortably distanced vacation, even without going into the parks, at Disney right now. Thank you for sharing this!

Just curious how the buses are running at Kidani - if you happen to be using them. Thanks!

Poly pools have been reaching capacity this week. The issue with "only DVC is open" there is the inadequacy of the pools for even only 360 units, let alone the whole resort.

I've seen reports of CCV/BCV/OKW and non DVC Coronado reaching capacity as well. Sounds like some people have had to wait 15-30 minutes to get in at some of them. I imagine we will see similar reports over the next 2 weeks across all resorts honestly.

I've seen reports of CCV/BCV/OKW and non DVC Coronado reaching capacity as well. Sounds like some people have had to wait 15-30 minutes to get in at some of them. I imagine we will see similar reports over the next 2 weeks across all resorts honestly.

I think CCV/BRV have a little of the same issue as Poly - once you open both DVC, the two pools are a bit inadequate to volume and demand if you cut the number of people allowed in to only reflect the reduced lounger capacities. Normally, they have more loungers, and people who will bring in 3-5 people but only claim one lounger because that's all there is to claim.

BCV and OKW (and even CSR) at least have more capacity in the quiet pool areas, even if people aren't heading to them. My understanding is at OKW and CSR at least, it's the feature pools with issues.

We just finished Spring Break with our nieces at RIV and except for the main pool, there was plenty of social distancing going on. Only one bozo who jumped onto the elevator at the last minute made me uncomfortable. The tables and chairs at the pools are spread out, but people are running around with their kids and masks are not required around the pool so I avoided it. Even my teenage nieces said 'no way'. The quiet pool was fine though. Stopped at BWV to visit family there and again, main pool was too much for us but quiet pool was nice and relaxing.

I was nervous about going but once I was on property I was amazed by the amount of cooperation! Only random folks breaking mask and distance rules. We enjoyed eating on our own balcony and people watching from above, had a drink at the pool bar towards the end of the day when crowds were lower.

The Boardwalk is mostly closed so there is not much contact there!

Poly was great a couple of weekends ago since the resort side is still closed. We were there for 3 nights. We enjoyed it and felt comfortable enough that we got 16 nights booked there in mid-June / early July. Felt very safe there, crowds were small. You can also walk to MK with the walking path now.

We also stayed at YC (our last non-DVC trip) for the week between Christmas and New Year's. Even with the BC resort side closed it felt like a much busier place.

ETA: I should mention that both my wife and I are vaccinated (luckily Virginia values educators) but we are still cautious and value distancing.

Last edited:
Right now AKL is not open to public so it would be quiet, but I understand their food options are limited due to this.
We left Jambo House yesterday and it was really quiet but yeah only Sanaa is open and while that's a great restaurant, it would have been nice to have the quick service option of the Mara.

keep in mind FL schools are out as of end of may/june 12th, depending on how much was missed and start date difference between public and private. that plus all other countries , it's hot, and jammed packed and as of now, I have seen no intention to start fast pass back up. however may and june are less packed than july and august.

keep in mind FL schools are out as of end of may/june 12th, depending on how much was missed and start date difference between public and private. that plus all other countries , it's hot, and jammed packed and as of now, I have seen no intention to start fast pass back up. however may and june are less packed than july and august.

Good points; we homeschool, so I hadn't even considered school letting out. If we do go, we definitely won't be going into the parks, though. It would be a resort only stay.

We left Jambo House yesterday and it was really quiet but yeah only Sanaa is open and while that's a great restaurant, it would have been nice to have the quick service option of the Mara.

I was wondering about a resort only stay at AKL right now with the restaurants all closed and I assume most of the activities, too. It seems like it'd be quiet. Did you find the pool busy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter