Social Security- take early or later?

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
I’m no where close to having to make a decision on this but just heard some people talking about it. If you take it early, you get less. But if you wait, will you get it at all??? So, do you make a spreadsheet trying to calculate where the breakeven point is? I’m just curious what you think.

I’m no where close to having to make a decision on this but just heard some people talking about it. If you take it early, you get less. But if you wait, will you get it at all??? So, do you make a spreadsheet trying to calculate where the breakeven point is? I’m just curious what you think.

my break point even was about 79 years old. It’s a gamble I will probably just get it when I retire whenever that may be.I Still have a long ways off.

I believe the break even point is 13 years. So if you take social security at 62 you hit the break even point at 75.

There's a lot of different opinions on taking when you're first able to and waiting. DH retired at 60 and took his at 62, but he also collects a union pension. I'll probably still be working until 65 for health insurance. At that point I'll make a decision whether or not I want to wait until my full retirement age (67).

My full retirement age is 66 1/2 and I'm 62 and 3/4 now. I plan on drawing it at full retirement age. I am semi-retired, I work 5 hours a day 2 days a week. I've worked for the same company coming onto 30 years. I have 0 benefits and get paid hourly. That has only been for the past year or two since the owner keeps saying he's shutting down. It's just he and I and an ex-employee subcontractor. We did have full benefits including 401K with a nice match until then so I put into that for 28 years. I moved it all to 10 year annuities and one will mature in about 8 years, the other 10 years. I also put some funds into a money market that if he does shut down will pay my small bills until I can draw. I'm lucky because my SO is self-employed and I paid off all my debt a few years ago. I can also draw up to $10,000 a year from each annuity with no penalties except taxes so I have that to fall back on if needed, if I leave them alone I get about a 60% return plus whatever they happen to make in the market.

This is a question you can't answer without knowing more about your entire portfolio:

- For most of working adults today (well, people my age, who were born in the 60s or later), "full retirement age" is 67; that is, if you retire at 67, you get your "full Social Security amount". For every year that you take your benefit early, you give up 6 2/3% (for the first X months, then slightly less for the remainder) of your total check; thus, taking your benefit five years early could mean giving up 1/3 of your benefits. If you delay your payments after age 67, your eventual check will be larger -- I think interest adds until age 70 (?) and at that point never increases.

- Age 62 is the earliest you can collect Social Security, and people tend to focus on whether they should start at 62, but consider that you could opt for 63, 64, 65, 66 -- or 63.5, 64.6, 65.5, 66.5 -- and every month /every year you don't draw a benefit is another year that your monthly total is growing higher. So don't think about this as an either-or proposition; think about it as a sliding scale.

- If you're married, you must consider your own SS as well as your spouse's SS. I can't remember the details, but at some point a lower-earning spouse can start to draw on the primary earner's SS -- and that can make a whole lot of difference in the total picture.

- If you have significant assets, taking SS early might be wise. IF this would allow your investments to sit untouched /keep growing. Consider, too, that if you die 65-70, having barely touched your SS account, those investments can be left to your children; whereas, SS would just stop.

- If your health isn't good /you think you won't live to see old-old age, you might be wise to start drawing early. Of course, this is a gamble.

- What is not wise: taking SS at age 62 because you're fed up with working and can only retire if you begin your SS benefits. Taking SS at age 62 does mean accepting a smaller "paycheck" for the rest of your life, and if you're already pushed for retirement funds, accepting that smaller amount isn't a great idea.

- Do you intend to continue working part-time? If so, consider that -- if you reach a certain dollar figure, and I don't know what that figure is -- they'll reduce your SS.

- A little off-topic: consider that Social Security and Medicare are entirely different programs (though aimed at the same target audience). You can begin Medicare at age 65 regardless of whether you're already collecting Social Security. And my Mom's Medicare is a whole lot cheaper than what I'm paying for my employer-based insurance right now.

- My best advice: make an appointment with a financial advisor or accountant who specializes in Social Security. A one-time, one-hour appointment should be enough. Make it clear that you only want to talk about one topic: WHEN is the optimal time for me, given my financial circumstances? Lay out all your details and say, "Math it up, Dude." You only get to make this decision once, and it'll affect the rest of your life, so an expert opinion is worthwhile.

Last edited:

Depends on your health. If you think you’re only going to live to 75, I’d take it early. If I think I’m going to live to 95, I’d wait. It also depends on your savings. Can you hold off on collecting it?

Depends...which worries you more? Missing out on the money you paid in...or living in a possibly perilous financial state very late in life? And if neither are worries, what trade-offs do you want to make?

My dad missed SS - he died from cancer at 53.

My mom could have have taken SS at 62 or waited til 66...and decided to get it at 65, along with Medicare, b/c of the ease of the sign up when both were done together. She was in great health then...and she turned out to get stage 4 multiple myeloma (with no warning - her doc appt and bloodwork 3 months earlier gave no warning signs and we had no family history) and die within 7 months of diagnosis at 69. I can tell you at diagnosis, she was more worried about losing all her assets to her illness and making sure her health insurance kept getting paid than worrying about whether she had a few bucks more or less in SS.

So, for me, I know my family history with cancer sucks...but then I also know that my spouse's family doesn't (both his parents are still alive and in good health at 72+). I'll be drawing off my spouse's SS most likely, but he's three years older than I am, so we'll probably apply together when he hits his full retirement age, so we do it once...or we may wait til I'm 65, so we can do all the items at once (Medicare and SS)...since he's not gonna retire until he knows we're set (and he's not one to ever retire, so he'll just move from jobs to hobbies)...he's already decided to take the spouse option on his future pension, even knowing my family's health, b/c as he put it, Murphy's Law...we'll plan for me to die before him and I'll outlive him by 30 years and live to be 111:)...happened for my grandmother who got cancer in her 30s and it kept recurring over the decades...but she lived to her 90's, while her spouse died in his 70's (after no health issues til the big one) and her kid, my dad, died at 53.

Take the advice of knowledgeable people to make a determination on taking SS.
But, on your 65th birth month, Medicare sends you a bill if you are not on SS. Payments are about $400+ every 3 months (at least for me). The DH company health insurance stopped for me on day one of my 65th birth month also, because Medicare kicked in. So, look into the hidden repercussions of SS and Medicare.

Take the advice of knowledgeable people to make a determination on taking SS.
But, on your 65th birth month, Medicare sends you a bill if you are not on SS. Payments are about $400+ every 3 months (at least for me). The DH company health insurance stopped for me on day one of my 65th birth month also, because Medicare kicked in. So, look into the hidden repercussions of SS and Medicare.

I'm a little confused about this. All my research says that if you paid into MC for x amount of time, part A is free. You do have to pay for Part B but you can opt out of it. Part A is hospitalization and Part B is doctor's visit's etc. You can also bump up to Part C and D or get private to supplement. There is a standard cost for part B, which of course goes up if you are making a higher income. Also, from what I understand you have no choice when you turn 65 except to take Part A, I know my boss was spitting mad about it when he turned 65 but found out his supplemental costs were actually going to be less than the company insurance so he was o.k. with it. He still doesn't draw SS and he is way into his 70s.

It's a very individual choice so like others said hard for us to advise you.

One thing to keep in mind, they are saying by 2035 the social security trust fund will run out of money and benefits will probably be cut by 23%. How that cut will happen, who knows? Will it only be for future retirees or will it affect current retirees too? :scratchin

If you took it now and in 15 years your benefits maybe were cut would you still be ok with the amount you would get?

You really need to talk to a professional in either an accountant or a financial adviser. They should take everything into account and run numbers to help you make the best decision for your circumstances.

In the mean time look and see if the local senior center or may even you city or town hall has any programs for people who are thinking about retiring. They may have some basic information to get you headed in the right direction.

would loved to have retired and started collecting SS at 62, but would have collected 25% less than waiting until my full retirement age of 66.

Did a lot of research, compiled my own spreadsheet, checked rechecked. Over the last 2-3 years have had one on one meetings with my Fidelity advisor several times. He ran his numbers and using a budget quite a bit less conservative than how I live my life, all the charts show me in the "green zone" for retirement.
Fidelity did not figure in the cash that I have in the bank, just SS and my retirement accounts; so I also have that as cushion.

I am retiring in 7 weeks and feel pretty good about the decision I have made.
Can't predict the future but am looking forward to enjoying my retirement.

I have saved for years to take my family to WDW to celebrate this spring. Likely to be our last trip as prices are rising faster than I am willing to pay.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused about this. All my research says that if you paid into MC for x amount of time, part A is free. You do have to pay for Part B but you can opt out of it. Part A is hospitalization and Part B is doctor's visit's etc. You can also bump up to Part C and D or get private to supplement. There is a standard cost for part B, which of course goes up if you are making a higher income. Also, from what I understand you have no choice when you turn 65 except to take Part A, I know my boss was spitting mad about it when he turned 65 but found out his supplemental costs were actually going to be less than the company insurance so he was o.k. with it. He still doesn't draw SS and he is way into his 70s.

Everyone should sign up for Part A at age 65 because it’s free.

You can postpone signing up for Part B if you are covered by insurance from work.

If you aren’t covered by other health insurance and miss the sign up period you will forever be penalized by paying additional money.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/part-b-late-enrollment-penalty

There is a free open source calculator you can use to decide on an optimal claiming strategy: https://opensocialsecurity.com/

It was created by Mike Piper, who wrote a book called Social Security Made Simple, and has been beta tested with good folks over at Bogleheads.org.

You will need your (and, if you are married, your spouses) PIA, I.e., Primary Insurance Amount. The PIA can be estimated using the tools at socialsecurity.gov.

For most people, delaying will provide longevity insurance, I.e., better protection against outliving your savings. For couples, the higher earning spouse should probably delay. And count yourself lucky if you need to make this decision; most people don’t have sufficient savings to make delaying an option.

If you're married, you must consider your own SS as well as your spouse's SS. I can't remember the details, but at some point a lower-earning spouse can start to draw on the primary earner's SS -- and that can make a whole lot of difference in the total picture.

You will take the larger of the 2 payments: either your own or half of your spouse‘s benefit. There used to be an option to start with your spouse’s; let your own grow & then change to yours. But that option is no longer available. You will of course be able to collect survivors benefits if it is higher than your own.

, I know my boss was spitting mad about it when he turned 65 but found out his supplemental costs were actually going to be less than the company insurance so he was o.k. with it. He still doesn't draw SS and he is way into his 70s.

Well, he is just skipping money for no reason. If you don’t start collecting, benefits will increase until you turn 70. After 70, your monthly benefit will be the same no matter when you start collecting. And there is no penalty no matter how much you make at that age. So there is absolutely no benefit to him to not collect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter