Some Lounge Chairs now are bookable

I’m so confused about where these chairs are and what kind of chairs are worth $110. So when someone sends a pic please take a view that will help me sort out a location.

Rented one of these chairs this weekend, and thought I would share a pic so everyone had a better idea of what they are. They are the same units available on the beach... just up on the deck. There are 6 available, and fairly close to each other. Chairs # 1 and #6 are closest to walkways. I requested one of those, so as to minimize the time traipsing in front of other folks. They were all booked the 3 days that I checked. It was a quiet place, without kids around, as they only accommodate 2 people. I had chair #1, and liked it for a busy Saturday. I don't think I'd grab it for more than 1 day though.

Attachments

• IMG_3394.jpg
    IMG_3394.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 115
Rented one of these chairs this weekend, and thought I would share a pic so everyone had a better idea of what they are. They are the same units available on the beach... just up on the deck. There are 6 available, and fairly close to each other. Chairs # 1 and #6 are closest to walkways. I requested one of those, so as to minimize the time traipsing in front of other folks. They were all booked the 3 days that I checked. It was a quiet place, without kids around, as they only accommodate 2 people. I had chair #1, and liked it for a busy Saturday. I don't think I'd grab it for more than 1 day though.
Thanks for the info! And they were $110 each, right?

WOndering if you're allowed to bring your own chairs? It seems like buying a few from amazon and having them delivered to the hotel would be cheaper. Or maybe Disney should add more chairs so there isn't a need for people to rush for chairs. One can dream...
The Waikiki ABC Store hack! Buy your chairs, an umbrella, and some cheap beach towels at the ABC Store, and never worry about finding a chair again. Deposit in trash can on departure.

Last edited:

The Waikiki ABC Store hack! Buy your chairs, an umbrella, and some cheap beach towels at the ABC Store, and never worry about finding a chair again. Deposit in trash can on departure.
If everyone did that then the island would be overrun with more trash…. no bueno….

If everyone did that then the island would be overrun with more trash…. no bueno….
I don't know. People have been doing that for as long as I can remember. Seems like it usually all ends up in the appropriate waste receptacle, and it's not like it's an army of people who are doing it. Not my cup of tea, but it's absolutely something people do.

As I said (tongue in cheek), it's the Waikiki hack, because there are a TON of hotels that aren't on the beach (or even within several blocks), so there are no chairs to rent. So if someone wants some shade and a place to sit while enjoying Waikiki, it's BYOB. Again, not my style, but definitely done (and I'm guessing most do keep their towels).

Last edited:

Are the regular chairs behind these chairs still free and first come first serve? Specifically the ones on the concrete closest to Ama Ama?

I have no say I am pretty upset by this because the former adult pool is still not back to being an adult pool and the chairs in front of Ama Ama were for the most part pretty quiet. It's just me and my husband and we spent every.single.day in front of Ama Ama....its like they are really trying to push out adult only DVC members/vistors there.

Last edited:
I have no say I am pretty upset by this because the former adult pool is still not back to being an adult pool and the chairs in front of Ama Ama were for the most part pretty quiet. It's just me and my husband and we spent every.single.day in front of Ama Ama....its like they are really trying to push out adult only DVC members/vistors there.
We bought AUL in part because we believed there was an adult only pool and I am surprised they haven’t brought it back. Keeping the AMA AMA area as adult only would be an adequate trade off for me. I think practically speaking, as noted above, moving the space to casabellas makes it more likely it will be used by adults and teens (perhaps moms with infants as well, I liked to hang out in them when I went to Hawaii with sleepy babies).

Of course, if they make the whole area pay to reserve, then it still doesn’t function as an adult only space unless you’re open to the upsell for being there (much like the spa).

Based on pics and my understanding of the changes, it looks like there may actually be fewer chairs overall in front of Ama Ama. If accurate, I’m not a fan given overall seating situation at Aulani. Seems like a cash grab.

It’s funny. Growing up here in Orange County, I lived my summers on the beach, only bringing what could be carried on the OCTD bus (typically boogie board, fins, and a towel. Even as I got older and had my own car, it was a towel and surfboard. I can’t remember ever bringing a chair. The girls always had a chair, but the guys never brought one. I don’t think I rented a chair at a beach resort until I was well into my 40’s, so even at Aulani, I’m good just throwing a towel on the sand.

It’s funny. Growing up here in Orange County, I lived my summers on the beach, only bringing what could be carried on the OCTD bus (typically boogie board, fins, and a towel. Even as I got older and had my own car, it was a towel and surfboard. I can’t remember ever bringing a chair. The girls always had a chair, but the guys never brought one. I don’t think I rented a chair at a beach resort until I was well into my 40’s, so even at Aulani, I’m good just throwing a towel on the sand.
Also a native southern californian, typically went to the beach with a towel, maybe a large picnic blanket, and as I got older, sometimes a backpack chair... I considered buying disposable chairs on arrival to avoid the chair hog competition, but was assured that chairs at the ocean go slower.... which is true, but you're packed in close and several rows deep. Next time, I'll probably buy a giant beach towel as a souvenir and set out on a less crowded part of the crescent some days, and try to reserve chairs other days. I am concerned that if the empty lot next to AUL ever gets developed, it's going to get even more crowded at the beach.

Also a native southern californian, typically went to the beach with a towel, maybe a large picnic blanket, and as I got older, sometimes a backpack chair... I considered buying disposable chairs on arrival to avoid the chair hog competition, but was assured that chairs at the ocean go slower.... which is true, but you're packed in close and several rows deep. Next time, I'll probably buy a giant beach towel as a souvenir and set out on a less crowded part of the crescent some days, and try to reserve chairs other days. I am concerned that if the empty lot next to AUL ever gets developed, it's going to get even more crowded at the beach.
I like the left side as you‘re facing the ocean. Usually plenty of room on either the sand or grass, and no Marriott guests.

Miss the days when all you needed was a bus pass, and a couple of bucks for a slice of pizza and a coke at Perry’s Pizza by the Newport Pier. For girls, it was a spray bottle of lemon juice or some Sun In for your hair, and baby oil for your tan…

I like the left side as you‘re facing the ocean. Usually plenty of room on either the sand or grass, and no Marriott guests.

Miss the days when all you needed was a bus pass, and a couple of bucks for a slice of pizza and a coke at Perry’s Pizza by the Newport Pier. For girls, it was a spray bottle of lemon juice or some Sun In for your hair, and baby oil for your tan…
Up north in Los Angeles, we drove (or rollerbladed) to Santa Monica and ate at the Hot Dog (on a) Stick shack just off the pier.

We bought AUL in part because we believed there was an adult only pool and I am surprised they haven’t brought it back. Keeping the AMA AMA area as adult only would be an adequate trade off for me. I think practically speaking, as noted above, moving the space to casabellas makes it more likely it will be used by adults and teens (perhaps moms with infants as well, I liked to hang out in them when I went to Hawaii with sleepy babies).

Of course, if they make the whole area pay to reserve, then it still doesn’t function as an adult only space unless you’re open to the upsell for being there (much like the spa).
I do worry about the viability of frequent travel to Aulani if it is just my wife & I… although if it was just us we would most likely travel during the time of year when kids are in school and my hypothesis is that the resort will be slower or have a higher % of adults at that time….

I'm also in Orange County and had summers like that as well! I think now also in my 40s I feel so bougie in one of those chairs because I never had that growing up! We also own at Aulani, and it was our first big joint purchase back in 2016, it's sad that slowly everything we loved about going is disappearing.

I do worry about the viability of frequent travel to Aulani if it is just my wife & I… although if it was just us we would most likely travel during the time of year when kids are in school and my hypothesis is that the resort will be slower or have a higher % of adults at that time….
We love Aulani, but have never noticed time of year when it doesn’t seem overrun with kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter