Southwest Airlines 2 free flights credit card offer-What's the catch?

Happy to report that my DW and I both got emails last night that our rewards were in our account. Our closing dates are not until March 20th and we only received our cards about 3 weeks ago (we activated and used them immediately). We each had 4 certificates in our account and I was able to use my 4 to book our flight down from ISP (for myself, DW, DD, DS). Problem is, there are no flights available with these certificates to return. First day with availability is 3 days after we are returning or one day earlier at 8am...effectively costing us 2 days.

We'll probably save DW's certificates for next year's flights down for our Dream cruise nex August (certificates expire 3/12/12) - assuming they follow the same basic schedule and release August flights in Februaruy we should be okay. We'll have to pay for the reurn flights (which are the same price one-way per person that we paid for our R/T tix last year). Hopefully they come down at some point and we can get credits. Question for you SW experts...if i book today (3/17), and the price drops on say, May 1st, so I get the credits on 5/1. I have until what day to use the credits? Is it based on 3/17, or 5/1? And I have until that expiration date to book a flight, not to travel, correct?

We had trouble to using the tickes for a return flight. I ended up booking into Tampa and back from Tampa. MUCH better time choices and no problems with seats. We always rent a car so this was not an issue for us and it was worth an hours drive to be able to do 3 people round trip....

Did you use awards or points to book? Awards expire on the date that is on them..usually a year from when they were awarded.

If you used points, I"m not sure what they are oding, but I would assume (yes, I know what they say about that!) the points would go back in your pot and I thought points never expired.

If you paid with cash, and the price goes down, the expiration has always been based on the day you original booked. You used to have a year from the day you originally booked to use the credits. I thought it changed to 6 months..anyone know for sure? In either case, it is to travel, not to book.

Hopefully they come down at some point and we can get credits. Question for you SW experts...if i book today (3/17), and the price drops on say, May 1st, so I get the credits on 5/1. I have until what day to use the credits? Is it based on 3/17, or 5/1? And I have until that expiration date to book a flight, not to travel, correct?

Did you use awards or points to book? Awards expire on the date that is on them..usually a year from when they were awarded.

If you used points, I"m not sure what they are oding, but I would assume (yes, I know what they say about that!) the points would go back in your pot and I thought points never expired.

If you paid with cash, and the price goes down, the expiration has always been based on the day you original booked. You used to have a year from the day you originally booked to use the credits. I thought it changed to 6 months..anyone know for sure? In either case, it is to travel, not to book.

I used awards/certificates to book our flight down to MCO (the awards expire 3/12/12). I'm going to have to pay OOP for the return flight back to ISP. So if I booked that today, and the price goes down two months from now and I get a credit, I have to use that credit for travel within 4 months of when I received the credit?

I received my 4 certificates, but I can't figure out how to use them online. :confused3 And I'm known as the smart, tech geek in the family! :rotfl2:

Also, if I book now and a better rate comes along are the flights made back into free flights like they are now or would they be turned into points? Wait. I guess that's a stupid question because if they are FREE a better deal is impossible! Duh. :idea: However, I hate the flight times right now, and if those change I might want to book a different flight. How would SW credit me?

I'm not sure why the certificates aren't points in the first place. The RR Chase card rep said I'd be receiving 38,400 points (or whatever). I'm happier with 2 R/T flights straight across the board than points because it is DARN expensive to fly from CA to FL!

I'll eventually call SW but heard they've been absolutely bombarded with calls since the RR program switched from credits to points on 3/01.

I couldn't book flights online with my certificates. I had to call them and have them do it over the phone.

I couldn't book flights online with my certificates. I had to call them and have them do it over the phone.

Thank you! :worship:

How annoying that SW says nothing about having to call to use the certificates. Anyway, I was told I'd be given points, so... :confused3

Not complaining AT ALL; 2 free R/T plane tickets are INCREDIBLE, I'm just a little confused about this whole process!

I could have booked online yesterday, but it would just let me do one person at a time, so I called them in, to make sure there was room for all of us on the flight.

I had same thing happen. I am told the certificates are not able to be converted to points. I was also told that when I activated the card I would be receiving 38,400 points, nothing about certificates.

I was also told that at this time they have to book the certificate flights and they have to tell the availability as I could not find that online. Our departure date was not availble (10/7) but return was. So now we are in the process of making some changes and hoping that everything works out.

Good luck!

Chase has always given points (because they gave them to us 1200 points at a time..they didn't give them to you until you have 1200 from Chase). However, before March 1st, those points of 1200 always were converted as soon as SW got them, to 1 award point. You needed 16 to make a round trip. Because you signed up for your card before March 1st, the points they gave were converted to award points..and you got enough awards points to convert the 16 award points to make round trips awards. It's what everyone agreed to, that applied before March 1st.

I would have been able to use the internet to book mine, except I didn't want to do them one at a time, so I had to call them in. It is a bit more complicated now, because they have changed over to all points on SW.

Everone that got the 38,400 points got just what was promised, (38,400 points divided by 1200 = 32..enough award points to equal two round trips) points that would be converted into two round trips. I wouldn't expect them to change them over to the new program..that isn't what was promised. I think it was a great deal! If people wanted points, they should not have signed up for the card now, but should have waited. The deal might not have been as good. I happen to think getting 2 round trip tickets for $59 was very good of SW.

Just finishing up on the phone with SW - Looks like we're in the clear for 4 FREE FLIGHTS - dh and I both applied and got a card and 2 r/t flights each!!:cool1:

I did have to be flexible - wasn't able to get my first choice flight there or back. But I called WDW and added 2 nights to the end of the trip (and was able to keep free dining with it) and got rid of one night on the front (the trip home I wanted an evenign flight but they only had early morning so I added a day to still get that last day of vacation).

What an INCREDIBLE deal. Thank you DIS friends for alerting me to this deal. We are paying about $118 ($59 annual fee x 2) plus $10 per ticket ($5 each way security fee) for a grand total of $158 for 4 round trip, nonstop flights!!! :banana:

It's nice to hear someone happy and satisfied with the deal. We have so many flights right now, I'm going to have to pay the extra $50 to extend them for a year. So many vacations, just not enough time LOL.

Just finishing up on the phone with SW - Looks like we're in the clear for 4 FREE FLIGHTS - dh and I both applied and got a card and 2 r/t flights each!!:cool1:

I did have to be flexible - wasn't able to get my first choice flight there or back. But I called WDW and added 2 nights to the end of the trip (and was able to keep free dining with it) and got rid of one night on the front (the trip home I wanted an evenign flight but they only had early morning so I added a day to still get that last day of vacation).

What an INCREDIBLE deal. Thank you DIS friends for alerting me to this deal. We are paying about $118 ($59 annual fee x 2) plus $10 per ticket ($5 each way security fee) for a grand total of $158 for 4 round trip, nonstop flights!!! :banana:

When you guys are stating that you needed to be flexible, can you elaborate a little on the reason? Is it because there were no 'wanna get away' fares or because of some other reason? Just wondering how likely it will be that we can actually use the credits for a September flight whenever they are actually awarded.

When you guys are stating that you needed to be flexible, can you elaborate a little on the reason? Is it because there were no 'wanna get away' fares or because of some other reason? Just wondering how likely it will be that we can actually use the credits for a September flight whenever they are actually awarded.

On each flight, they will only allow so many seats for awards. Technically, according to what it says where it listed the awards, there are no blackout dates, but most flights don't availability for rewards. I had to take a later flight than I wanted to going down and coming back, there is only availability for an early flight (with a change over at BWI) the day before were schedule to return - effectively costing us 2 days - or 3 days after our scheduled return date. I was afraid something like this would happen, an rightly so.

you got an email saying you had the credits???? ugh....our closing date was March 23- I haven't heard anything yet! so anxious.....to pp who got them and booked, how long did you wait from 1st purchase-1st payment to awards in acct?

On each flight, they will only allow so many seats for awards. Technically, according to what it says where it listed the awards, there are no blackout dates, but most flights don't availability for rewards. I had to take a later flight than I wanted to going down and coming back, there is only availability for an early flight (with a change over at BWI) the day before were schedule to return - effectively costing us 2 days - or 3 days after our scheduled return date. I was afraid something like this would happen, an rightly so.

Thank you for the explanation. After hearing this, my guess is that the nonstop flight we're targeting won't be available via the certificate/awards/whatever.

I have had extremely good luck if I get up nice and early (lately it's been 7 am ET) and book on the day they open. Except for the time I waited a few weeks (I just fogot) and had to come home on Christmas Eve, I can't remember not getting the times and days I wanted. But I had to be there right when they opened up.
This upcoming trip is still open. I'm not traveling this next vacation anywhere near a holiday.

Thank you for the explanation. After hearing this, my guess is that the nonstop flight we're targeting won't be available via the certificate/awards/whatever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter