• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

southwest airlines

The.Epcot.Man

Mouseketeer
thinking of using southwest for the next trip, but do not want to have to deal with check in at the airport.....any advice?

it seems like flight prices have really jacked up for this year.....is it me?

thinking of using southwest for the next trip, but do not want to have to deal with check in at the airport...

Sorry.

We LOVE SWA and always fly to Orlando with them.

BUT, you're going to have to deal with the way SWA does things, I'm afraid.

On-line check-in 24 hours in advance is the current situation.

You can check in online 24 hours or less before your flight. Can also print your boarding pass.

and you can do this at your Disney resort, concierge desk will gladly print your stuff for you.

We are using them too this year b/c baggages fees are getting out of control! We are questioning the baggage claim issue, but we've done it in the past, we can do it again! :sad2:

You can check in online 24 hours or less before your flight. Can also print your boarding pass.

Do it has close to the 24 mark as you can.
SW has be known to overbook the flights and whoever check in last gets the boot, and must take the next flight.

It has happen to my family twice now!. :eek:
we will be flying delta this time, but this is only b/c Sw pulled out of boston airport

thinking of using southwest for the next trip, but do not want to have to deal with check in at the airport.....any advice?

it seems like flight prices have really jacked up for this year.....is it me?

What do you mean by check it? All airlines have you check in. With southwest you can checkin on line just like everyone else then go straight to the gate, if you don't have bags to check. If its the numbered boarding you don't like they have changed it in the last few years where you get a number so there is no more lining up in three groups. Also you can pay 10 dollars extra for priorty boarding.

SW has be known to overbook the flights and whoever check in last gets the boot, and must take the next flight.

we will be flying delta this time, but this is only b/c Sw pulled out of boston airport

Are you saying that Southwest is no longer flying out of Boston??? They just started this past August. Where did you get this information?

We LOVE SW, and are flying them again in 13 days from Seattle to Orlando. You can pay an extra 10 to get advance check-in. There are 5 flying in my family, the SW agent told me to pay the extra 10 for one person in the family- they can board first, get our seats and the rest of us will board in the order our passes say. We really didn't have any problems with SW in the past and will continue to fly with them in the future! Good luck!

We are using them too this year b/c baggages fees are getting out of control! We are questioning the baggage claim issue, but we've done it in the past, we can do it again! :sad2:

Many people continue to labor under the misconception that SWA passengers can't use DME's luggage transfer service and must go to baggage claim and collect their bags. This is in spite of the fact that SWA passengers (and passengers on all airlines) have been able to use all INBOUND services (including luggage transfers) since day one of the program.

SWA has not--until recently--participated in the Resort Airline Check in service, which allows you to check bags at your resort on the way home. As of now, however, SWA is participating in RAC at all but a couple of the resorts (POR and CBR, I think) so even that issue is gone.

What's more, if you use DME for your inbound transfers, RAC apparently now checks you in automatically at or shortly after the 24-hour mark for SWA flights.

In addition, SWA also now offers Early Bird Check in service, which automatically checks you in for your flight and assigns you a boarding number 36 hours before the flight. The cost is $10 per ticket each way, but you can buy it for just the trip home, if you'd like.

If you want to check in on your own at 24 hours, you can do that at the front desk of any Disney resort or at the guest services locations in the parks or at DTD. You also can check in on any cell phone or other device that has Web service.

SWA has not--until recently--participated in the Resort Airline Check in service, which allows you to check bags at your resort on the way home. As of now, however, SWA is participating in RAC at all but a couple of the resorts (POR and CBR, I think) so even that issue is gone.

I know for sure they are trying it at POP. I just used it in March and it was great!
:)
HTH

Just wanted to say that I agree flight prices this year definitely seem higher than last years. I LOVE SW though! The best answer is two posters up I believe. They now participate in RAC and have always participated in DME even though a lot of people didn't know that.

And as PP stated, you can pay $10 per ticket to check in 36 hours in advance and have priority seating.

We LOVE SW, and are flying them again in 13 days from Seattle to Orlando. You can pay an extra 10 to get advance check-in. There are 5 flying in my family, the SW agent told me to pay the extra 10 for one person in the family- they can board first, get our seats and the rest of us will board in the order our passes say. We really didn't have any problems with SW in the past and will continue to fly with them in the future! Good luck!
I am really sorry to hear a SW agent told you to do this. Last trip I paid for DH and I to both have priority boarding, then had to walk past rows of "saved" seats. :mad:

SW had a pretty neat concept -- get there, line up, get on the plane, sit down, buckle up. Now between seat saving, people who insist on using the first over head bins, boarding is starting to take longer than necessary.

We love SW, especially for trips to MCO, but our esteem is slipping just a little. This latest grab for a few extra dollars is disheartening. It is still no where near checked bags fees, and is still voluntary, but I liked the old way. Checking in at 24 hrs. was part of the fun of starting your vacation.

Something else to think about...as more people opt for prority boarding, will this increase the likelihood of those who don't getting bumped?:confused3 As soon as you purchase the priority boarding, you are uput in the cue for an automatic check-in. Those who are left are assigned numbers as they check-in online.

Well, thinking about it makes my head hurt.:headache:

And, IMHO you should not be allowed to save a seat or 5 with one paid priority check-in.

When you were bumped, were you compensated at all? The following is Southwest's official policy - we just did some work with Southwest's mission statement in our Training and Development class, and I read pretty much the whole thing.

http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/customer_service_commitment/csc.pdf Overbooking starts on pg 9)

An oversold flight is a rarity! An oversale takes place when more confirmed Customers
than we expected (and than our aircraft will accommodate) checkin ontime and show up
for the flight leaving one or more confirmed Customers without a seat.
We realize that everyone has a reason to travel. At the same time, we understand that
many travelers are fairly flexible insofar as their departure and arrival times are
concerned. So, when a flight does oversell (again, it is rare), the first thing our Customer
Service Agents do is ask those who have checked in if they are willing to volunteer to
take a later flight. Typically, the incentives we offer result in a number of volunteers
sufficient to free up the seats needed.
Volunteers
If you volunteer to give up your seat in an oversale situation and we can rebook you and
accept your ticket on the next Southwest Airlines flight, we will also give you a travel
voucher in the amount of $100 plus an amount equal to the face value of your remaining
one-way flight coupon(s).
If the flight(s) to your destination immediately after your originally scheduled flight is/are
booked to or beyond capacity, you will be placed on a “priority standby” list and your
compensation will increase to a travel voucher in the amount of $200 plus an amount
equal to the face value of your remaining one-way flight coupon(s). If you are not
accommodated as a standby Customer, we will confirm you on the next Southwest
Airlines flight(s) with seats available to your destination. You will not incur an increase in
fare.
Involuntary Denied Boarding (Being “Bumped”)If we do not receive enough volunteers to accommodate all Customers who have
purchased travel and have met our checkin time, any remaining Customer(s) will be
involuntarily denied boarding. We will confirm you on the next Southwest Airlines flight
to your destination with seats available. If your alternative flight(s) is scheduled to arrive
at your destination or stopover point within two hours of your originally scheduled
flight(s), we will accept your ticket at no additional charge, and you will be compensated.We will immediately issue a check or, if you prefer, a travel voucher in an amount equal
to the face value of your remaining one-way flight coupon(s). The maximum amount of
involuntary denied boarding compensation is $400 under these circumstances.
If your alternate flight(s) is scheduled to arrive at your destination or stopover point more
than two hours later than your originally scheduled flight(s), your compensation will
increase to an amount equal to twice your remaining one-way flight coupon(s). In these
cases, the maximum amount of denied boarding compensation increases to $800.
If you are “bumped,” you will be given a written “Notice of Denied Boarding” to help you
understand our policies, your compensation, and your travel alternatives.

We wanted to fly southwest again this year because the baggage fees are getting way out of hand on other airlines, but all of southwests flights are now 1 or 2 stops instead of direct flights! Why are they doing this? It makes it harder for families with young children. Are there any other airlines out there that don't charge for baggage?:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter