• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

southwest airlines

I think you'll find that they're on the side of not getting involved in arguments. The official position is that there is no policy against (or for) saving seats and they will not referee.

Really?

So what is the point of asking people for an extra $10 for priority boarding? It was explained to me that those paying the extra fee got their assigned number after "A List" club, or whatever it is they call their frequent flier club.
So they won't referee, but if someone , say with a large group (Sports teams, cheerleaders, etc.) they could theoretically save seats for a crowd.

Maybe you could just offer the money to the person at the front of the line and ask for a specific seat(s) to be saved?

I think you'll find that they're on the side of not getting involved in arguments. The official position is that there is no policy against (or for) saving seats and they will not referee.

That would be a great example of horrible customer service too. If you are going to charge a fee for "preferred opportunity seating" then you had better be ready and willing to enforce it as well.

And as PP stated, you can pay $10 per ticket to check in 36 hours in advance and have priority seating.

I don't recall seeing the option to pay for early check in/priority seating. Must have been because I was just soooo excited to have found the fare I got. Is it too late to add this? Thanks!

I don't recall seeing the option to pay for early check in/priority seating. Must have been because I was just soooo excited to have found the fare I got. Is it too late to add this? Thanks!
You should be able to still sign up for it. Just check your reservation online and look for the link to add it. I think you can call them and add it as well.

When are you flying? Fairly soon or much later this year. I would imagine the closer you are to your flight the less likely the service will benefit you.

What's more, if you use DME for your inbound transfers, RAC apparently now checks you in automatically at or shortly after the 24-hour mark for SWA flights

This is the first time that we are flying in to MCO with SW. I am confused by this statement. Does this mean they will automatically check us in or does this mean we can check in using RAC? Thanks!

You should be able to still sign up for it. Just check your reservation online and look for the link to add it. I think you can call them and add it as well.

When are you flying? Fairly soon or much later this year. I would imagine the closer you are to your flight the less likely the service will benefit you.

I leave a week from today! After reading all the posts I've decided to save the $10 and leave my fate to karma. I really don't mind being on the back of a plane headed to disney! I'll use the $10 to by a poolside coctail - or maybe buy one for someone who looks flustered. I remember years ago reading one of the posts or books and hearing the observation that - in the end - you're buying memories...and I want all mine to be happy!

I'm going to move this over to our transportation board.

Are you saying that Southwest is no longer flying out of Boston??? They just started this past August. Where did you get this information?

From SW
I was calling about a flights for my mom to come a vist and they told me as of march 2010 they no longer flew out of boston.
could've have been dreict flight tho.

I was just about to post this as well.....changing planes is not something I want to do with children. not to mention the probability of lost luggage!

you still have to check in online 24 hours in advance though, correct?

this is why we are flyig delta this time.
I have 4 year old, and no one wants to get on a plane to get off and get on another!

When flying SWA using connecting flights, you will be checked in for all legs of your travel when you check in for your first flight and do not have to check in separately for later flights. This does give you a head start on boarding numbers vs. the people who are starting their travel on your second flight.

that's good, but I am more concerned about navigating through an unfamiliar airport with the family and our luggage making it to MCO / DME.

When flying SWA using connecting flights, you will be checked in for all legs of your travel when you check in for your first flight and do not have to check in separately for later flights. This does give you a head start on boarding numbers vs. the people who are starting their travel on your second flight.

The problem with connecting flights is if your first one is late and they have already starting boarding the second flight, your low number isn't going to do you much good.

I'm going to move this over to our transportation board.

ok that freaked me out a little bit...I've never been in a thread when it was actually moved. I know I was in theme park/attractions, next thing I know I'm in transportation and couldn't figure out why :confused3

Anyway, We love SW, never have a problem. I don't pay for EB service, but I do check in exactly at the 24 hour mark and I'm generally in the 50's as far as boarding assignment which is just barely an "A". Still, have never had any problem finding seating even as an early "B" assignment.

I highly doubt SW has a "do not interfere" policy and will not intervene if an argument erupts over seating and they would have to support the person who has the right to sit in any open seat.

That being said, you can save a seat at TL :)

I dont understand why the airlines cant assign seats or you pick your seats when you book. This is fair...first come, first serve!!!:confused3

I dont understand why the airlines cant assign seats or you pick your seats when you book. This is fair...first come, first serve!!!:confused3

Pay for convenience. Picking your seat is a convenience.

I can live with it since SWA is always the most affordable option out of KC. I don't mind not being able to pre pick my seat as long as some cheapskate isn't trying to steal them by "saving" them.

Pay for convenience. Picking your seat is a convenience.

I can live with it since SWA is always the most affordable option out of KC. I don't mind not being able to pre pick my seat as long as some cheapskate isn't trying to steal them by "saving" them.

LOL!!! Yeah I know that but I am just saying, if they had seat assignments as people purchase tickets, then all this stuff would not go on. I am not only talking about SW. I have been saying that for years about seats. But I guess it has worked this way or similar for as many years as there have been airlines...I remember when my kids were young, we would get to the airport way before we had to so that we could get bulkheads....then it was miserable for hours as we waited for our flights.:laughing:

From SW
I was calling about a flights for my mom to come a vist and they told me as of march 2010 they no longer flew out of boston.
could've have been dreict flight tho.

SW definitely flies out of Boston. We live between Boston and Providence and have been checking fares from both airports. Boston's flights to Orlando have a stop or a plane change. Most of Providences flights are nonstop. SW also flies out of Manchester, NH.

I do believe it is because Southwest has found their planes actually board faster this way. And since no airline makes money with their plane sitting at the gate, they want the planes to leave as soon as possible.

Some airlines do still assign seats when you book, but it depends on when you book. They don't always know what plane will actually be used, so they don't want to promise someone a seat that isn't going to be there. They constantly shift planes depending on demand, no need in providing a 130 seat plane when a 110 seat one would do, especially if they can sell the extra seats on another route. As mentioned before, they really care about the business travelers. And if one of them books an exit row seat for the legroom, say 13C (legroom and aisle) on a given flight, but that plane changes so 13C is now a regular seat, that business traveler will now raise a stink. And some of them do enough business to make the airlines take notice.

I do believe it is because Southwest has found their planes actually board faster this way. And since no airline makes money with their plane sitting at the gate, they want the planes to leave as soon as possible.

Some airlines do still assign seats when you book, but it depends on when you book. They don't always know what plane will actually be used, so they don't want to promise someone a seat that isn't going to be there. They constantly shift planes depending on demand, no need in providing a 130 seat plane when a 110 seat one would do, especially if they can sell the extra seats on another route. As mentioned before, they really care about the business travelers. And if one of them books an exit row seat for the legroom, say 13C (legroom and aisle) on a given flight, but that plane changes so 13C is now a regular seat, that business traveler will now raise a stink. And some of them do enough business to make the airlines take notice.

There you go.......never thought of the plane change thing.....:thumbsup2

We LOVE SW, and are flying them again in 13 days from Seattle to Orlando. You can pay an extra 10 to get advance check-in. There are 5 flying in my family, the SW agent told me to pay the extra 10 for one person in the family- they can board first, get our seats and the rest of us will board in the order our passes say. We really didn't have any problems with SW in the past and will continue to fly with them in the future! Good luck!

I am really sorry to hear a SW agent told you to do this. Last trip I paid for DH and I to both have priority boarding, then had to walk past rows of "saved" seats. :mad:

SW had a pretty neat concept -- get there, line up, get on the plane, sit down, buckle up. Now between seat saving, people who insist on using the first over head bins, boarding is starting to take longer than necessary.

We love SW, especially for trips to MCO, but our esteem is slipping just a little. This latest grab for a few extra dollars is disheartening. It is still no where near checked bags fees, and is still voluntary, but I liked the old way. Checking in at 24 hrs. was part of the fun of starting your vacation.

Something else to think about...as more people opt for prority boarding, will this increase the likelihood of those who don't getting bumped?:confused3 As soon as you purchase the priority boarding, you are uput in the cue for an automatic check-in. Those who are left are assigned numbers as they check-in online.

Well, thinking about it makes my head hurt.:headache:

And, IMHO you should not be allowed to save a seat or 5 with one paid priority check-in.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU. EBCI IS A PAID PRIVILEDGE. THOSE WHO DO NOT PAY, SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO SIT IN SAVED SEATS BY ANOTHER. IF YOU PAY FOR 1 EBCI, THEN YOU SHOULD ONLY BE ENTITLED TO 1 SEAT. IF YOUR ENTIRE GROUP WISHES TO SIT TOGETHER USING THE EBCI PRIVILEDGE, THEN EACH OF YOU SHOULD PAY FOR EBCI.

IF SWA IS GOING TO ALLOW THIS, SHAME ON THEM. SWA SHOULD DISCLOSE THIS INFORMATION ALL CUSTOMERS SO THAT WE CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION ON HOW TO SPEND OUR MONEY.

UNFORTUNATELY, IF SWA IS ALLOWING THIS, THEN THOSE WHO HAVE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF THE SYSTEM HAVE NOT BROKEN ANY RULES.

BUT, IMHO, JUST BECAUSE THE RULE HAS NOT BEEN BROKEN, DOES NOT MAKE THE ACT THE RIGHT THING TO DO. :sad2:

NO FLAMES PLEASE, THIS IS JUST MY FEELINGS ON THE TOPIC. I AM SURE OTHERS MAY HAVE AN OPPOSITE POINT OF VIEW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter