Southwest - Midway Airport

Rich M

DIS Veteran
I am flying in December and most of the flights from the west coast have stops in Midway. I am trying to avoid areas that get snow but some of the best flights are going through there. Am I smart to avoid snow places and stick with flights going through Texas and the southern US?

@Rich M that is what I try to do. I have pretty good luck going through SLC and Denver. Denver seems better prepared and doesn't get hit by the ice as much as snow. You should be able to route through Vegas, Denver, Phoenix or I think there is a straight shot out of San Jose.

@Rich M that is what I try to do. I have pretty good luck going through SLC and Denver. Denver seems better prepared and doesn't get hit by the ice as much as snow. You should be able to route through Vegas, Denver, Phoenix or I think there is a straight shot out of San Jose.

So far I haven't been able to find non stop out of any of the Bay airports. Right now I am booked for San Jose to Dallas to Orlando. There is a flight out of San Jose with 2 stops but no plane change that stops in Phoenix and KC. I am hoping for that one to come down in price.

I just flew into Midway Friday and my flight was delayed. I barely made my connection. I would for sure look at the on time rate for the flights you are looking at. I would be really concerned about snow if their good weather days are routinely delayed.

yes I am not a fan of Midway. Lots of air traffic, weather issues even when it is not winter. The gate areas are so small and they cram 500 into them. They have at moving walk way right down the middle of the gate areas that makes the gate area congested.. I avoid it at all cost.

As someone who flys SW out of Midway as our home airport, I would suggest avoiding it if you can. We experience flight delays in all kinds of weather. Sometimes the Chicago weather is okay, but the plane we’ll be flying on has to come in from somewhere else being affected by weather problems. Last February, we switched our flight to go out a day early in order to avoid approaching snow. The flight we switched to was then delayed for two hours in arriving from Florida, and then delayed another 45 minutes as a mechanical issue was addressed. In the end, the delay was longer than the flight from MDW to MCO.

Yea... Chicago and December do not mix for air travel. I would avoid. Plus Midway is a mess on the best of days it seems.

Definitely DO NOT fly through Chicago in the winter time. Snow is too unpredictable. Fly through Vegas, Phoenix or Dallas...very unlikely to get snow.

So the flight I was looking at with 2 stops but no plane change has gone down in price. Has anyone had any experience with a flight with 2 stops and no plane change. I like it because I don’t have to fight for seats once I get on the plane and the stops aren’t in heavy snow areas (Phoenix and Kansas CIty). Would you make the switch?

Rich it's been years since I lived in Missouri, but I used to fly in and out of KC (MCO) but they can get some pretty bad ice storms, but they tend to be a bit later in the winter. But with all the massive rain storms and flooding that Missouri has seen this year its hard to say. Personally, I avoid flights with two layovers.

Here is an article just published about MDW. The pictures says it all. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/visi...M19RR-ViowC3t6INru48IHW_9F436zN78FRv4YMrh2--I

I am unabashedly an O'hare devotee, but even I can read that article and know the author is really exaggerating to try and make an interesting read.
Midway is a fine airport, I fly out of Chicago in the winter, as do a lot of people, and have no issues, and Southwest delays are usually because of the airline itself and delays in other cities (so I'm told as I don't fly with them).

That said OP, if you want avoid a snow related weather delay, then don't fly into Chicago as there is a (small) chance you might run into one. :)

Rich it's been years since I lived in Missouri, but I used to fly in and out of KC (MCO) but they can get some pretty bad ice storms, but they tend to be a bit later in the winter. But with all the massive rain storms and flooding that Missouri has seen this year its hard to say. Personally, I avoid flights with two layovers.

So I new twist in decision came up today. I saw that my flight going to Orlando on the 2nd half of my leg is scheduled to be a 737 Max 8 plane. I am wondering if I should change it because of that. We are flying from SJC to San Diego and then having to switch to the Max 8. The flight now with no plane change but 2 stops is now the same price so nothing extra if I switch and it is a regular 737 plane. Would anyone switch due to the Max 8 problems?

So I new twist in decision came up today. I saw that my flight going to Orlando on the 2nd half of my leg is scheduled to be a 737 Max 8 plane. I am wondering if I should change it because of that. We are flying from SJC to San Diego and then having to switch to the Max 8. The flight now with no plane change but 2 stops is now the same price so nothing extra if I switch and it is a regular 737 plane. Would anyone switch due to the Max 8 problems?
According to this i dont think you have an issues *Boeing 737-MAX8 Aircraft are currently grounded by the FAA. Until the MAX8 aircraft returns to service, Southwest plans to operate MAX8 flights with a different aircraft type. Flight schedules and aircraft type remain subject to change per the Contract of

Last edited:
If you are not locked into Southwest airlines, try using one of the online flight search websites to find other options. 2 stops on any cross-country flight adds a LOT of travel time to an already lengthy trip, regardless of the time of year. If you are near other airports, that is also something to check for other options. SW has a nonstop flight to MCO but didn't know your exact travel dates. SW has many flights with only 1 stop. Other airlines also have 1 stop flights at someplace like PHX or ATL which are less likely to be impacted by snow/ice.

If you are not locked into Southwest airlines, try using one of the online flight search websites to find other options. 2 stops on any cross-country flight adds a LOT of travel time to an already lengthy trip, regardless of the time of year. If you are near other airports, that is also something to check for other options. SW has a nonstop flight to MCO but didn't know your exact travel dates. SW has many flights with only 1 stop. Other airlines also have 1 stop flights at someplace like PHX or ATL which are less likely to be impacted by snow/ice.

The two stops is not a must and there is other options for sure. The two stops just required not getting off the plane so I looked at that as of getting my choice of seat but I understand 3 take offs and landing starting at 5 7 am and arriving at 6 pm is a very long day. We are going Dec 7th to Dec 12. We got a non stop last year and it was great. We can fly out of SJ, OAK, or SF. We actually live less than 5 miles from OAK.

So I switched my flight and got a $48 credit per tickets and got off the Max 8 plane. There is still one other flight I would love to get to add more time at Disney but I am happy with what I changed too as of now. The flight going is through Dallas and the flight coming back is through Houston. I just hope I don't have any connection problems. The flight with 2 stops and no plane change went down in price too but since everyone recommended skipping two stops even with no plane change I took that advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter