Souvenirs

For those of you who have done ABD trips to anywhere (save Southern California cause it's a given you'd buy stuff at Disneyland), did you purchase many souvenirs? If so, what kind of things did you purchase? Or did you just take pictures? I'm going to Central Europe in September with ABD and just curious about how much money to bring for souvenirs.

I take lots of pictures and buy a few things. We will buy Christmas Ornaments from specific locations. In Italy we purchased pottery and some hand-blown glass items in Venice. My DW (and others that follow this board closely) like to purchase very nice handbags and accessories because they can get them cheaper overseas once the VAT is removed. My DW also brought back a case of Champagne from France from the Vineyard we toured.

As for Backstage Magic, my son and I went a little crazy at Imagineering the last two times we were there. I like to go to the record stores (the ones that are still around) in LA and look for CD's that are rare or out of print.

I bought some Christmas ornaments, a t-shirt for my son, a calendar and embroidered pillow cover at Neuschwanstein, and a small toy for a friend on our trip to Germany. To be honest, I found the easiest thing to do at most of these places was to pay by credit card. I hated carrying cash around, and I wanted to minimize having to stop at ATMs, so anything that I could charge (souvenirs, meals, on-our-own sightseeing), I charged. Also, keep in mind, depending on the exchange rate, you may not be able to take out as much cash from the ATM as you think you will (which means you just have to stop at the ATM even more times). I have a cc with no foreign transaction fees, so it was a no-brainer. I think, in total, I probably spent under $300 on souvenirs, and I was highly motivated to not over-do it because we had very limited extra room in our suitcases (and dirty clothes ALWAYS take up more room than clean ones!).

I always buy souvenirs. I totally agree with TXTransplant, I use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees whenever possible. I've found very few places would not or could not take credit cards. I also have to be careful what I buy due to room in the luggage.

I always try to buy a refrigerator magnet from each major location, then something (usually wearable) also. I like scarves, gloves, hats, etc. On the Scotland tour, I bought an absolutely gorgeous scarf at the local-artist gallery that's above the bakery in Portree (where you have the scone-making activity). I also bought a wonderful Harris Tweed hat on the Isle of Lewis (which, as you know, is unfortunately no longer on the itinerary). Stuff like that. I know some people will buy larger items and have them shipped home (especially in Italy) but I've never done that. I think the most I ever spent was in Paris, where I bought a cashmere scarf just so I could say "Oh this? I purchased it on the Champs-Élysées! ;) But I put that on a credit card. Really, it was mostly the magnets, that I would pick up in tiny shops or street kiosks that I paid cash for. Not a lot of cash used or needed.

Sayhello

I do get souvenirs. I tend do get whatever catches my eye that will remind me of the location. In Scotland I bough a Celtic Ruana and a hand made silver bracelet. I may purchase books regarding the location as well. Generally, I will purchase Christmas ornaments too. I have spent as little as $15 for an ornament to as much as nearly for $400 for a Sheila Fleet sterling Omega necklace and slide of standing stones. I simply couldn't walk away from it and it is now probably my absolute favorite piece of jewelry and souvenir. Therefore, I bring a credit card that doesn't incur foreign transaction fees :thumbsup2

I have found that on our ABD trips, I have spent less on souvenirs in general because there is less time to shop. Also, the more I travel, the more I focus what I buy. For me, it is Christmas ornaments, blue and white plates and jewelry (oh my gosh, Sheila Fleet's is amazing - I just checked out her website!). We give our daughter spending money for the trip and then generally add one bigger thing (because when she is older the stuffed animals will be gone.....).
We did the Central Europe trip and did not spend a lot on souvenirs - I did not find much of interest in Prague, but others did. We had been to Salzburg and Vienna not long before so spent less than we otherwise would have. A couple of the days there is not much chance to shop - just the gift shop at the Ice Cave, Castle, Salt Mine etc
We usually get cash from ATMs in country - and if we have extra left, use it for the local guides tip (or our next trip!) We use cash for smaller items, and a no foreign transaction fee credit card for larger ones.

Ireland I bought a wool sweater and scarves. Italy was florentine leather, murano glass and religious goods from the vatican. Plus wine and olive oil. France was macaroons, London a bust of shakespeare.

This Christmas, we went on a Tauck tour "Bella Italia" (not ABD but similar so thought I'd chime in).
I thought I would control myself but the guilt of leaving DD in the States (granted, she was on her own special trip with my parents but still...) resulted in a nice haul for her- Murano beads for her Pandora bracelet, a little mask from Venice, calligraphy implements and a leather jacket, bracelet and wallet from Florence and, since we connected through CDG, macaroons and French magazines.

For my mother and SIL, pottery in Orvieto. For my girlfriends salacious bookmarks. My devout girlfriend received a rosary from Vatican City.

Normally I'm not a souvenir shopper but apparently the Italian air combined with maternal guilt did me in :I

If you DON'T want to buy lots of things, I'd recommend NOT going at Christmas and leaving your only child... :)

As for payment, little things with Euros, larger purchases with my no foreign transaction fee CC as other posters have mentioned.

If you come to Greece, especially on the island of Crete you MUST buy olive oil and Cretan Thyme Honey. The best in the world...hands down!

Prague is known for their rubies. Not sure if you like that particular stone but there are some very pretty stones at reasonable prices (I got dd a nice ruby heart pendant for a necklace). They also have very nice Christmas ornaments that are extremely delicate (I bought some *gorgeous* ones in Prague that the store did a great job of packaging -- they are some of my favorites). There are also several boutiques that sell lovely blown glass objects (like the ones from Venice but these ones are made in Prague). Don't hesitate to try some of the local food -- my ds and I really enjoyed every meal we had there on our own (we went 3 days early). I also highly recommend the Segway tour (one of our favorite activities!).

Salzburg is famous for their Christmas eggs. If you celebrate Christmas you MUST go to the store that sells them (the guides will let you know where it is) and buy at least a dozen. I only purchased 6 thinking it was enough but wish I had bought more. They are very intricate and you will LOVE them. I also bought a Hermes belt in Salzburg and it is one of my favorites (black and tan with a gold "H" buckle). They had a great selection of accessories which is unusual for an Hermes store (I had been looking for this particular belt for over a year).

In Vienna I purchased a few nice Christmas ornaments and a Louis Vuitton bag (they are a much better price in Europe since you get the VAT refunded).

Have fun! It's a GREAT trip.

And on getting your VAT refund you must save all your receipts and "carry with you" all the purchases you made to the office or window when you put in paper work for a refund. (We did not do the carry part) They have the right to inspect the receipts to the product. Your guides will hopefully help you with this. We got both cash as well as credit back to our credit card for our VAT tax. The people we have interacted with in the VAT offices have always been helpful. In the airports they are located before you go through security so don't forget or you have to go back out. On our first time traveling to Spain we "forgot" and had to give up our rebate because Barcelona airport was quite busy and it would be cutting our flight pretty close if we had to go back through security. We also had items shipped via UPS from the vendor to our house. Of course we wore our leather coats home from Florence. A number of stores offer this service. When we traveled to Italy we shipped a few platters as well as glassware and everything went great. We choose to ship the large items rather than to carry our trinkets with us and take up space in our luggage. So many wonderful items, so little space to bring them home.

Prague is known for their rubies. Not sure if you like that particular stone but there are some very pretty stones at reasonable prices (I got dd a nice ruby heart pendant for a necklace). They also have very nice Christmas ornaments that are extremely delicate (I bought some *gorgeous* ones in Prague that the store did a great job of packaging -- they are some of my favorites). There are also several boutiques that sell lovely blown glass objects (like the ones from Venice but these ones are made in Prague). Don't hesitate to try some of the local food -- my ds and I really enjoyed every meal we had there on our own (we went 3 days early). I also highly recommend the Segway tour (one of our favorite activities!).
This is good to know! I do like rubies, so I'll have to keep my eye out for this (any particular store you remember?). And do you remember the name of the Segway tour you took? I'd love to look into that while I'm in Prague.

Sayhello

This is good to know! I do like rubies, so I'll have to keep my eye out for this (any particular store you remember?). And do you remember the name of the Segway tour you took? I'd love to look into that while I'm in Prague.

Sayhello

We used Prague Segway Tours and did the 3 hour tour. I highly recommend this tour and company. One of our favorite activities in Prague.

I have no idea where I bought the pendant. I believe the store was in or near the square near the astronomical clock. It was a nice, little jewelry shop. Prices were very reasonable -- I believe he gave me a discount because I paid in cash. It is a very popular stone in Prague - you won't have trouble finding a nice store and negotiating a good price! Just make sure you buy rubies before you leave Prague.

I also forgot that the salts from the little store at salt mine are fantastic. It is very inexpensive and I use it for cooking on a regular basis. It also makes a great little gift for relatives because it is reasonably priced and easy to tuck into your suitcase.

A few Prague tour companies:

Premiant City Tour , e-mail : info@premiant.cz, www.premiant.cz, www.prague-portal.com

www.prague-underground-tour.com

www.prague-ghost-tour.com

www.prague-castle-tour.com

www.prague-beer-tour.com

www.prague-castle-tour.com

www.prague-special-tours.com Tel: +420 777 172 177
all above offered by Prague Special Tours by Ivan Galik

all found on facebook and you tube.

The Prague Tour All Inclusive

www.pragueallinclusive.com

The Ultimate Tour
(free pick up)
praguer.com

Mucha museum. www.mucha.cz, Tel +420 224 216 415

Budapest has a "Hop-on, Hop-off" bus and also a Budapest card which includes free public transport, free zoo entrance, 2 free walking tours and discounts to all the museums and major tourist attractions.

If you come to Greece, especially on the island of Crete you MUST buy olive oil and Cretan Thyme Honey. The best in the world...hands down!
Yaaaaaas! I was beginning to think I had made up how delicious thyme honey is!! Thanks for confirming it for me :D I still salivate thinking about it 8 years later!

This is good to know! I do like rubies, so I'll have to keep my eye out for this (any particular store you remember?). Sayhello

I did some checking, they are not actually rubies, they are Bohemian Garnets. Look like rubies but are a different stone and tend to be a much darker red colour. There are 2 stores that are not far from Old Town Square in Prague that sells them. From what I've read you need to make sure you get a Certificate of Authenticity to ensure you are getting the real thing. Cesky Granat (Celetna 4) has a website that shows the types of items you can buy as well as prices on their e-store. You will probably end up walking past this store as you're making your way from the hotel to Old Town Square. This is their online store http://www.granat-shop.com/en/index.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter