Space Shuttle Launch

chip&dale1

Earning my ears.
Hi ,We are staying at SSR from 7 - 28th Aug. NASA is planning a shuttle launch on thed 9th Aug. We would love to see a launch from a beach near the launch site without paying the prices that NASA charge. Can anyone tell us where is the best place to view this fantastic event. (and directions from SSR) Thanks

Hi ,We are staying at SSR from 7 - 28th Aug. NASA is planning a shuttle launch on thed 9th Aug. We would love to see a launch from a beach near the launch site without paying the prices that NASA charge. Can anyone tell us where is the best place to view this fantastic event. (and directions from SSR) Thanks
I have watched a launch before but I have gone onto the NASA site for the bus ride to its viewing location. I think it was $10 for the bus ride. From what I understand, there really is no bad place to watch the launch. I have been told people have pulled off the highway to park and watch the launch. Perhaps others from the Cape can give you more detailed information. I would be more concerned about them canceling the launch. There have been several launches scheduled when I've been in Orlando that have been canceled.

You can see night launches from WDW and we can see any launch from our home 15 minutes NE of MCO, so you may also be able to see a day launch from WDW as well. Generally the best location to watch a launch is on the TV. Otherwise just take 417 or 4 to 528E and head to the coast. Anywhere from the Cape down to Palm Bay is going to be good viewing.

Leave veryyyyyy early if you want to get close. Friends decided to drive over and were stuck in traffic for hours. Others had pulled off to the side of the road and they started to get worried since they weren't even close and there was no place to go. Finally they saw an open spot and pulled off. Then they were stuck in traffic for hours going back to their resort.

We, on the other hand, walked out of Tangerine Cafe and watched it go over.

Very cool.

Cyn

We did this last year. Traffic was terrible...terrible. Went to Cocoa Beach. Sat there waiting ...waiting...scrubbed! :( Then we fought the traffic back to WDW. The shuttle went off a few days later but we didn't go. Instead we watched it from the bridge connecting Dolphin and Yacht Club. It is very exciting even from that far away. I can't imagine how exciting it must be from the beach!

We were at SSR last 4th of July when the shuttle launched. We were in the pool and the CMs brought out a radio and speakers and broadcasted the countdown and launch. We could see it while in the pool. It was just in between the bar area and the silo (don't know what else to call it) (the area where you rent the bikes). Very cool!!!! Traffic that day to Cocoa Beach was reported to be 6 hours one way.

Anything that NASA launches, especially at night, is clearly visible from anywhere in the Orlando area. We have oftentimes gone out to the golf course and viewed shuttle and rocket launches. It's pretty awesome, with no traffic. We beat ourselves up last year having bought tickets to the viewing areas at NASA. The July 1 launch was scrubbed, and we tortured ourselves going back on the 4th of July...well worth it. It's neat to see that close if you've never seen it. However, the traffic and crowds have kept us local, and we've enjoyed it just the same.

We were at Disney in 7/05 when the shuttle launched for the first time in 2 1/2 years. We returned to our room at SSR about 1:30 AM from MK and I asked DD if she wanted to take a road trip. We drove out to Titusville, getting there about 2:30 AM. There were tons of campers, tents, etc lining the roads so I asked a guard at one of the public parking areas were was a good spot to watch from. He had me park in his lot and told me anywhere along the shore where I was, was a good place to watch. We caught a few hours shuteye in the car and when we woke up about 7, the place was buzzing. The launch took place as schuduled about 10:30 and what an amazing sight, it went right up over our heads, we were probably about 10 miles down-range.

It took us about 45 minutes to drive out there but it took us 3 hours to get back. Traffic was backed up for miles. DW and other DD said they saw it go overhead while they were at the pool. Same day we then drove over to Tampa to watch the Red Sox play. That was a long day, but just another typical one for us while visiting Disney.

We saw a rocket launch last year @ Jetty Park.

Went early to beat traffic, had a nice swim in the ocean:thumbsup2 ; then back to our prime spot:banana: .

Locals helped us out as to where to fix eyes on the horizon, etc...so :cool1:

We specifically planned our trip for late June to view the shuttle that had it's window pushed back to your dates. Currently, another rocket launch is scheduled...although we're secretly hoping the one that's launch window opens on June 8th is delayed:rolleyes1 until our dates.

I was lucky enough to be there for the night time launch last Dec...it was incredible watching it cross the sky standing in front of the Dolphin.
We're going to Cocoa Beach on Aug 10....I'm really hoping that this launch is delayed a day or two...I would love to see one closer up, with my 13 y/o dd. How cool that would be.

Yes, you can see a daytime launch from WDW. Last July we were finishing up the mid-day Aqua Tour at Living Seas when our guide led us behind the building to an employee parking lot. A couple of minutes later we saw a ball of fire rise on top of a pillar of smoke (too much brilliance to see the craft itself). Very cool and no waiting.

NASA launches several rockets during the year, along with the shuttles. The link below lists all the upcoming launches, so anyone lucky enough to be at WDW during these times can view them. Personally, I don't think the space program gets enough press anymore for something so incredibly remarkable. Not like the 60's, when being an astronaut was the coolest thing on the planet (and beyond)!

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

I was there last Oct. and was watching the nightly news. :happytv: In the corner of the screen, there was a rocket launching so I went to the window at SSR and actually saw it and thought it was really neat. So I woke my wife from a dead sleep and she asked if this was bad because she thought it was a missle. When I said no, she went back to bed.:rotfl2:

They actually have a shuttle launch scheduled for Oct again but, after hearing about traffic, My little ones won't last that long. I'll just watch from SSR. :guilty:

We've driven to Titusville twice and parked at the Holiday Inn for $10. They allow you to use the facilities so it makes waiting more pleasant. Each of the shuttles we were waiting for were scrubbed, so seeing a shuttle launch is still on DH's life goal list. Traffic returning from Titusville is horrendous as others have noted.

We'll be driving down to Vero on the day the shuttle (Mission STS-117) is scheduled to launch in June (6/8). Hopefully (for us) it might be delayed by a day or two.

What about shuttle launch viewing from Vero? I would imagine viewing opportunities similar to that at WDW, as Vero appears to be roughly similar distance from Canaveral as WDW (due south instead of west).

We'll be driving down to Vero on the day the shuttle (Mission STS-117) is scheduled to launch in June (6/8). Hopefully (for us) it might be delayed by a day or two.

What about shuttle launch viewing from Vero? I would imagine viewing opportunities similar to that at WDW, as Vero appears to be roughly similar distance from Canaveral as WDW (due south instead of west).

Let's put it this way...I lived in a small town due north of Fort Lauderdale, right on the ocean and way south of Vero Beach. I could see shuttle launches mid-day from my house! So, it'd be better for you if it's a night launch, but I do think you will be able to view it from the beach. At this point, we do not know what the launch window is for 6/8. I hope it's a night launch...the coolest!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter