Space

KYMickey

Adding EARS to Kentucky!
During our visit last week I saw the countdown sign for "Space" saying it would open in 432 days, XX hours, YY minutes (or there abouts). After the problems and delays opening Test Track I think it's a bold move to announce the opening of the next "High Tech" pavillion to that degree of accuracy. Maybe we'll see "Disney Time" (1 hour = 3 days??) when the time gets closer!!:rolleyes:

I have read on these boards that the problems with Test Track were due to trying to fit a new attraction into an old building not actually built or intended for Test Track. I have also read that the old Horizons building (may she rest in peace) may have been torn down to prevent similar construction and operational problems. There should be fewer issues when an attraction is built from the ground up (hopefully). Rumors are also out there (and here) that Mission Space will soft open Holiday Season 02 to test it out and work out the problems before the official opening. I can't wait!

I heard that part of the problem with Test Track was that the cars kept derailing off the track. The first supplier of the ride vehicle couldn't get it right, so they had to ordr from different supplier. Natually they tested it thousands of times before putting people on it.

I don't mean to change the subject, but does anyone remember there being problems removing the Imax screens from Horizons? I thought I heard that it was so difficult in fact, that the new building would have to incorporate the old screen's support structure in some way. After demolition began, I heard nothing more about it. Does anyone recall this?

J.-

Concerning the IMAX screens, if I remember correctly, I think there was some talk at first about simply incorporating them into the SPACE pavilion. I'm guessing, though, that this probably didn't happen by the look of the pictures taken during construction. The IMAX screens were a major structural support of Horizons (I think) and by tearing down the old pavilion they just got rid of them in the process.

RyMickey

I don't think there were any support structures left at all from the Horizons Pavilion. Once it had been torn down, and hauled away, there was just a plot of dirt left. No concrete pylons or footings were left as near as I could tell from any pictures or from up in the Electric Umbrella.

It was completely leveled. New foundations were poured. Disney could open this attraction this fall, but testing will happend instead. As my model made durring announcement of the ride said...

Construction-Fall 00
Compleation of Construction- Spring 02
Testing- Late Summer 02
Soft Opening- Winter 02-03
Opening- March 03 (plus it will open during the FIRST compatitons! I'll be ther!)

So, the new attraction Mission:Space will be open in March 2003???
Yessss! I've been looking around for just this info. I was hoping it would
be. That means it will be open next time we go to the World!!! Yes!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I read a rumor somewhere recently that Disney took down the countdown sign for Space a few days ago becuase they were concerned they would not meet their opening date. Anyone else heard this?

Yes they removed the countdown sign, AND the Letters spelling out Mission Space! They are NO longer there in front of the wall! What happened??:eek: :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter