Special effects drinks at Trader Sams

BriannaRuth

DIS Veteran
Isn't it true that ordering certain drinks at Trader Sam's result in a special effect being played? I've been to Trader Sam's many times but never know what to order to get a special effect. Anyone know which drinks result in which special effects? Any opinions on those drinks would also be appreciated. Half the time I end up ordering something I don't really like because it's way too sweet.

The bar tenders/servers also do a “show” for certain drinks, like saying fun stuff, wearing life jackets, ringing bells, small light effects. I can’t remember everything that gets this. Krakatoa, Uh Oha. If you ask they will probably tell you. They have a “show” at the Polynesian at WDW too, but it’s different and maybe different drinks.

Shipwreck on the rocks will start a thunderstorm, if you watch the ship in the bottle it will sink. The skippers will often squirt water into the patrons. The Hippopotamai (mai tai) will elicit a "bang bang 2 shots of rum" from the skipper mixing it.

Shipwreck on the rocks will start a thunderstorm, if you watch the ship in the bottle it will sink. The skippers will often squirt water into the patrons. The Hippopotamai (mai tai) will elicit a "bang bang 2 shots of rum" from the skipper mixing it.
Thanks, the thunderstorm is the one I've been hoping for!

Opinions on the drink itself?

Shipwreck on the rocks? I’m not a fan as it’s a bourbon or whisky based drink and I don’t care for those spirits (I prefer rum/vodka/gin based drinks). But If you like whisky I’ve heard it’s good. Last we were there it was ordered 3-4X by others and the kids got a kick out of the storm effects.

You can see the details at Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar Cocktail-triggered animatronics on Wikipedia, warning (spoiler alert). Part of the fun is the discovery of it.

Uh-Oa! - is a great two person drink, its rum forward but the Falernum and Cinnamon work very well in the drink, we make this at home fairly often for guests - it does pack a bit of a punch - if you are alone they may not serve it to you - at least in the bowl all at once but they will space it out served in 3 glasses worth if you ask nicely.

Krakatoa Punch - is wonderful, but I will say portion wise it’s on the skimpy side IMHO.

HippopotoMai-Tai - as far as a faithful Mai Tai goes its middle of the road, but for Disney is pretty good.

Shipwreck on the Rocks - IMHO its decent, if you prefer bourbon over rum you may enjoy it more, while I love the mug this comes in, the drink isn’t my first choice. Wish it was more of a rum barrel drink vs bourbon.

While it doesn’t trigger any special effects the Zombie or previously known as the Shrunken Zombie Head - IMHO this is one of the best, if not the best, drinks at Trader Sam’s. They make the most of the three quality rums in this drink.

I LOVE the barrel mug shipwreck on the rocks comes in. It’s one of my favs and I’ve acquired a few even though I’m not a fan of the drink itself.

The zombie is on my list to try next month when we’re there.

You can see the details at Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar Cocktail-triggered animatronics on Wikipedia, warning (spoiler alert). Part of the fun is the discovery of it.

Uh-Oa! - is a great two person drink, its rum forward but the Falernum and Cinnamon work very well in the drink, we make this at home fairly often for guests - it does pack a bit of a punch - if you are alone they may not serve it to you - at least in the bowl all at once but they will space it out served in 3 glasses worth if you ask nicely.

Krakatoa Punch - is wonderful, but I will say portion wise it’s on the skimpy side IMHO.

HippopotoMai-Tai - as far as a faithful Mai Tai goes its middle of the road, but for Disney is pretty good.

Shipwreck on the Rocks - IMHO its decent, if you prefer bourbon over rum you may enjoy it more, while I love the mug this comes in, the drink isn’t my first choice. Wish it was more of a rum barrel drink vs bourbon.

While it doesn’t trigger any special effects the Zombie or previously known as the Shrunken Zombie Head - IMHO this is one of the best, if not the best, drinks at Trader Sam’s. They make the most of the three quality rums in this drink.
Are non-alcoholic versions of those drinks available so you can get the special effects even if you don't like rum/whiskey/etc.?

The bar tenders/servers also do a “show” for certain drinks, like saying fun stuff, wearing life jackets, ringing bells, small light effects. I can’t remember everything that gets this. Krakatoa, Uh Oha. If you ask they will probably tell you. They have a “show” at the Polynesian at WDW too, but it’s different and maybe different drinks.

The Nautilus is only available at the WDW location and it has some tentacles that lower from the ceiling and the bartenders "fight" them! At least, they did this at one point. It is awesome!

Are non-alcoholic versions of those drinks available so you can get the special effects even if you don't like rum/whiskey/etc.?
In the past they would not allow the drinks to be sold without the alcohol. (Like if you just wanted to buy the souvenir mug, even at full price). With the rise of mocktail popularity, maybe it's different now. Just in case, you might want to bring a lush friend to help out. :cutie:

They have 2-3 mocktails on the menu, but I don't think you get the effects when you order them. The Menus are online, you can check out all the different drinks there, but I don't think you get the effects if you order a non alcoholic drink. Honestly it would take a bit away from the experience. " I'll have a Coke and can you do the ship wreck experience?" It's a busy place, I'm sure if you get a non alcoholic drink, you'll still get to experience some of the stuff, as the majority of the people there are drinking (I say this as a mostly non drinker, I do however make a rare exception at places like this and order a drink)

In the past they would not allow the drinks to be sold without the alcohol. (Like if you just wanted to buy the souvenir mug, even at full price). With the rise of mocktail popularity, maybe it's different now. Just in case, you might want to bring a lush friend to help out. :cutie:

I have run into that situation. If you wanted the mug they had to pour the drink. I have had other people drink mine, including the Nautilus (at WDW), which is a big drink for like four people. I wanted that mug though, so I had the waiter ask if this other table wanted it. They were off-duty CMs and we hung out all night! I think they have some mocktails, but they are tied to specific mugs.

Last edited:
They have 2-3 mocktails on the menu, but I don't think you get the effects when you order them. The Menus are online, you can check out all the different drinks there, but I don't think you get the effects if you order a non alcoholic drink. Honestly it would take a bit away from the experience. " I'll have a Coke and can you do the ship wreck experience?"
No, I didn't mean a Coke, but what if you just ask them to hold the rum when they make one of those expensive specialty drinks? You'd still be paying for the experience then.

No, I didn't mean a Coke, but what if you just ask them to hold the rum when they make one of those expensive specialty drinks? You'd still be paying for the experience then.
I get what you mean but it doesn’t really work with these drinks, here’s the rough breakdown of the shipwreck drink:

4 lemon wedges (muddled)
4 fresh mint leaves (muddled)
2 oz Maker’s Mark bourbon
0.5 oz agave nectar (2 pumps)

If you leave out the bourbon you’re getting muddled mint and lemon with syrup over ice

@irlandaise I wish I could tell you, but it never hurts to ask the Skipper that's on duty at Trader Sam's. For many drinks they can add some juice like POG in place of rum as it's not a super strong taste like some juice.

I go about once every other year. I don't have time for discovery. I want the effect that I want🍹!

Thank you for the link and the drink reviews, very helpful!

Do the effects only happen if you're sitting at the bar, or do they also happen for those at the tables (inside)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter