Spider Plants: Brown Tips

mtblujeans

DIS Veteran
I have several spider plants around the house and I know absolutely nothing about them. What does it mean when the tips of the leaves turns brown and crispy? Does that mean they are being watered too much? Or, not enough? :confused3

If the plants have been sending out babies and otherwise are doing fine, I'm going to guess it's because of a bit too little water. I think that plants tend to turn yellow if they get too much water. Just feel the dirt and water when dry to the touch.

I've had the ancestors of my spider plant for about 15 years, and I have some dry tips too, so I may not be the best one to give advice.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Thank you. My plants are making babies like crazy so maybe everything is ok. I have these hanging in a window so, now, I am wondering if they are getting too much light. :confused3

Spider plants are pretty near impossible to kill - my MIL throws them away when they get scruffy, but I don't like to do that:sad2: Mine often have brown tips - when the whole leaf is brown and shrivelled just pull it off :thumbsup2 They like plenty of light, are not bothered by heat or cold. They don't like too little light - mine got very sad when my desk was shaded from the window, so its now on a window ledge and perking up nicely!:thumbsup2

I have several spider plants around the house and I know absolutely nothing about them. What does it mean when the tips of the leaves turns brown and crispy? Does that mean they are being watered too much? Or, not enough? :confused3

if the tips of the leaves are touching anything this will makes the ends turn brown, as they don't like touching anything.
Hope this is of help :thumbsup2

Probably too dry. Also, they may have some salt accumulated in the soil. Try this...fill up your sink with water. Sink the potted plant in the water. Leave in the sink until bubbles stop rising to the top. Drain the sink and let the water drain out of the plant.

During the winter, it helps to mist the plant once in a while to keep the humidity up. Oh, and don't overfeed...this can contribute to salt buildup in potted plants.

Probably too dry. Also, they may have some salt accumulated in the soil. Try this...fill up your sink with water. Sink the potted plant in the water. Leave in the sink until bubbles stop rising to the top. Drain the sink and let the water drain out of the plant.

During the winter, it helps to mist the plant once in a while to keep the humidity up. Oh, and don't overfeed...this can contribute to salt buildup in potted plants.
Interesting....we have well water so we have a water softener. So we don't drink too much salt from the softened water, we have a filter on the kitchen faucet and I was hoping most of the salt was being filtered out, but maybe not. I think I will water the plants with some bottled water for a month and see if it makes a difference. The misting suggestion is a good one...that is something I always forget to do. Thanks! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter