• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spinoff of Toll Free Thread: Do you still have a landline?

We still have one. We kept it for a long time because we had to have it for our house alarm, but about a year ago we upgraded our alarm to a satellite one. We've kept the phone though because with our package through Spectrum, we really wouldn't save anything by cancelling it.

Yes we do. It's cheap ($20 a month, with Caller ID, etc.) and I prefer it. I live with my 92 year old father and it's easier for him, too.

Getting rid of ours in a couple weeks. Just waiting for the alarm to come and install wireless. I was just waiting for our youngest to get a cell phone which he did in the summer.

I got rid of mine right after my mom died, she refused to talk on phone unless i was on a land line

We have VoIP via Ooma. It’s free for us since we got it 14 years ago. We might as well keep it, plus we have hand sets all over the house. Cell service is crappy in our house anyway.

Haven't had a landline in years, maybe 10 years or so? For the last 2 houses the biggest issue I've had is finding someone way to cover up the huge phone jack placed high on a main wall in each of my kitchens. What used to be a great convenient central spot, now looks like an eyesore.

My parents still have a landline, but I think it's for their fax.

Yes, have a bundled package with tv and internet. We use our landline and cell phones in different ways and like having both.

Same here.

Yep. And that's the number I give out when required to give a phone number.

And that's exactly why. I don't want my cell cluttered with sales calls, so I give the home phone when I sign up for store reward cards and things like that.

I also find the landline more comfortable for the "shoulder cradle" maneuver - when I am talking on the phone while doing chores. (I really need to just retrain myself to use the cell on speaker, though. I expect that's actually the most comfortable. :laughing:)

We do, as part of a package with TV, internet and phone service. We pay a fortune for it too!!

Same here.

And that's exactly why. I don't want my cell cluttered with sales calls, so I give the home phone when I sign up for store reward cards and things like that.

I also find the landline more comfortable for the "shoulder cradle" maneuver - when I am talking on the phone while doing chores. (I really need to just retrain myself to use the cell on speaker, though. I expect that's actually the most comfortable. :laughing:)

I haven't really used a Bluetooth headset in years. They used to be more common, but I'm thinking these days more people are sending texts than actually talking. Right now it seems like people don't wear them any more because it tends to look silly. If there's a headphone jack, many of theme will work with wired headsets. If you're doing something like washing dishes, a single earbud with a mic (the kind that has to be held up to the mouth) might not work, but

My old 2.4 GHz digital cordless phone system (which I still use because nothing quite like it is still made) has a jack on each handset for a headset. I bought one years ago that I can't find any more. However, when I was dealing with cable or internet customer service to try to take care of a problem, I'd usually plug it and place the phone in my pocket so I could use my hands to do things like press buttons or type. Today I'd probably be using the speaker.

We have a landline and need one for our alarm system. However, I do like having a landline as cell service in my house isn’t great. Also, when my mom was alive, sick for 9 years, my dad would have gotten too irritated talking to me on my cell, in my house. Trying to talk and get important info, fading in and out would be annoy8ing as all get out. Dad is still alive and he’s the only one of importance that would use the landline.

Haven't had a landline in years, maybe 10 years or so? For the last 2 houses the biggest issue I've had is finding someone way to cover up the huge phone jack placed high on a main wall in each of my kitchens. What used to be a great convenient central spot, now looks like an eyesore.

My parents still have a landline, but I think it's for their fax.

How huge is huge? We got rid of our landline about five years ago and covered up the jack on the kitchen wall with a blank switchplate.

DA_98_Brass_Colonial_Blank_US15.jpg

It helps that now there is a baker's rack in front of the switchplate as well.

The only reason I kept the landline as long as I did was because I still needed to use a fax occasionally from home.

Unfortunately, yes. We live in rural Florida where cell service is spotty at best. I haven't had a landline in 10 years before moving here. No cable/high speed internet either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter