Spirit Airlines Says: "Don't Fly With Us"

I'm not lying about it. I looked at fares for the week of August 9 through Aug. 16, which is months out. I don't know, I guess nobody should be flying Southwest because their fares are high and they don't charge add-on fees. I guess all those flyers (busiest airline in the US) are idiots. BTW, there's nothing wrong with Airtran.

So far you are the only one using words like "lying" or "idiot."

Yes, you priced out some flights in your market. Why can't you understand that those of us in other markets have a very different experience of Southwest? Why can't you accept the idea that someone who prices MKE flights all the time has a different experience than your one-time experiment?

I like Southwest, really - they are my carrier of choice for some destinations. But I don't kid myself that they're always the lowest cost option.

As for Airtran you have to include the cost of a check-in. Yes, we like to check a bag so we don't have to carry it on to the airplane (OK, who's going to be the first one to criticize that while out of the other side of their mouth they'll complain about people taking too long to board because of carry-ons).

Again, sarcasm isn't necessary.

Also, I don't think the times for Southwests non-stop flights are inconvenient @ 10:55 am and 7:25 pm with a return time of 4:40 pm.

Convenience is highly subjective. My MIL is flying to MCO to meet us - she lives alone outside of Philadelphia. She is too afraid to drive herself to the airport and instead takes a senior services shuttle. The shuttle times restrict her ability to fly out early in the morning - she can't make a flight before 7:30am. So if the first Southwest nonstop is at 7am and the next isn't until noon, that is pretty inconvenient. (And I'm trying to get her to let us arrange a car service for her, but she insists she doesn't want us to do that.) All the flights down are now at $115.

On the flight home, she really wants to be home in the early evening - preferably before dark, but not lose the whole day. The first 3 nonstop SWA flights are from 7:35 to 10:00 - not options. The next nonstop is 1:55pm - pretty good time for her, actually. But it's $196!

USAir, on the other hand, has more conveniently scheduled flight times for her and her ticket is $98 each way.

I frequently price flights to go visit my family in Alabama. I can choose to fly Delta or USAir into HSV or SWA into BHM. BHM is a 2hr drive from my family, HSV is a 1hr drive. Both airports are about the same size - not sure about traffic but I'd bet BHM gets more. I've never found a cheaper deal into BHM, not even a little cheaper. But my sister, when flying to MCO, can often get a better deal on SWA out of BHM than any carrier out of HSV (and none of those are nonstop, either) - so it's worth her while to make the extra hour drive.

Also, if you lived nearer Chicago then the options on when to fly with Southwest really increase.

Well, if I lived closer to BWI, my options would increase. But I don't. And the poster you're responding to doesn't seem to live closer to MDW than to MKE.

Some guests have been charged a "package acceptance fee" by Disney. CSR, and maybe some of the other covention hotels.

So for a while it will work. Disney resorts are claiming they will hold shipped packages for guest, I'm willing to bet in 1 year (2011) after they start getting a truck load of shipped packages, they will institute a "holding"fee.

So far you are the only one using words like "lying" or "idiot."

Yes, you priced out some flights in your market. Why can't you understand that those of us in other markets have a very different experience of Southwest? Why can't you accept the idea that someone who prices MKE flights all the time has a different experience than your one-time experiment?

I like Southwest, really - they are my carrier of choice for some destinations. But I don't kid myself that they're always the lowest cost option.

Again, sarcasm isn't necessary.

Convenience is highly subjective. My MIL is flying to MCO to meet us - she lives alone outside of Philadelphia. She is too afraid to drive herself to the airport and instead takes a senior services shuttle. The shuttle times restrict her ability to fly out early in the morning - she can't make a flight before 7:30am. So if the first Southwest nonstop is at 7am and the next isn't until noon, that is pretty inconvenient. (And I'm trying to get her to let us arrange a car service for her, but she insists she doesn't want us to do that.) All the flights down are now at $115.

On the flight home, she really wants to be home in the early evening - preferably before dark, but not lose the whole day. The first 3 nonstop SWA flights are from 7:35 to 10:00 - not options. The next nonstop is 1:55pm - pretty good time for her, actually. But it's $196!

USAir, on the other hand, has more conveniently scheduled flight times for her and her ticket is $98 each way.

I frequently price flights to go visit my family in Alabama. I can choose to fly Delta or USAir into HSV or SWA into BHM. BHM is a 2hr drive from my family, HSV is a 1hr drive. Both airports are about the same size - not sure about traffic but I'd bet BHM gets more. I've never found a cheaper deal into BHM, not even a little cheaper. But my sister, when flying to MCO, can often get a better deal on SWA out of BHM than any carrier out of HSV (and none of those are nonstop, either) - so it's worth her while to make the extra hour drive.

Well, if I lived closer to BWI, my options would increase. But I don't. And the poster you're responding to doesn't seem to live closer to MDW than to MKE.

Through this thread I have several times indicated that I'm sure there are times where Southwest is more expensive and the natural extension to that is there are times where other airlines are cheaper. However, when you get people saying they are shocked that Southwest is cheaper, well I just don't get that.

The original point of the thread was how Spirit is going to fee everybody to death and how that in turn will just allow others to fee us to death and we'll sit idly by while it happens. It's not "unbundling", it's revenue enhancing.

As for the idiot comment, I was referring to Southwest customers, of which I'm one. Making me an idiot. I called myself and idiot.

And I wasn't being sarcastic in that instance about:
(OK, who's going to be the first one to criticize that while out of the other side of their mouth they'll complain about people taking too long to board because of carry-ons).

And flight times are all about convenience. If somebody wants to fly out early, that's cool. I for one dislike early morning flights because I don't sleep good the night before (always afraid the alarm isn't going to go off) and the rest of the family is cranky all day because they are tired. But honestly, if each airline has a flight within a couple of hours of the other, it doesn't make a bunch of difference about who is better which was the point I was making.

Right now Spirit is posting non stop flights, for our Sept.-Oct. vacation for $31.98 one way and $61.98 the other way , from Detroit. I will continue to monitor, the fares, for the next 24-48 hours, since they seem to be changing everyday. But, even if I add a checked bag for both DH and I, we can't beat those prices for non-stop flights.
And, believe me....I have priced every ariline that flys out of Detroit.

Right now Spirit is posting non stop flights, for our Sept.-Oct. vacation for $31.98 one way and $61.98 the other way , from Detroit. I will continue to monitor, the fares, for the next 24-48 hours, since they seem to be changing everyday. But, even if I add a checked bag for both DH and I, we can't beat those prices for non-stop flights.
And, believe me....I have priced every ariline that flys out of Detroit.

Is there any reason why you didn't book? JMO but I think the chance of the fare going up is much greater then the chance of it going down.I'd be surprised if you could get a fare much lower.

I was curious what the total fare would be. So I checked. Right now the lowest fare from DTW-MCO in Septamber is $70.98 (61.98 if you're a member of the $9 club).

At $71 the R/Tfare is $180 Add $50 for a bag (R/T) and you're at $230. It looks like you'll save around $39 (fare/bag fee) if you're a member of the $9 club. Figure about $190

I don't know your exact dates. SW has 178 fares available R/T for some dates leaving last week of September and returnning the first week in October.

The SW fares aren't for N/S flights.

Tara : On the flight home, she really wants to be home in the early evening - preferably before dark, but not lose the whole day. The first 3 nonstop SWA flights are from 7:35 to 10:00 - not options. The next nonstop is 1:55pm - pretty good time for her, actually. But it's $196!

SW really does work best when one is a bit more flexible. I do understand that everyone cannot be as flexible as others. I live outside of Philly too....and 90% of my flights are booked on SW

#1)really value the ability to rebook if plans change or a cheaper flight shows up with no penalties. IMHO, this is a perk that just cannot be beat.
#2)flying in and out of PHL to MCO works best on Tues/Wed/Thurs. I do try and arrange my vacations around these days. I have gotten $196 one way fares with SW but those have been either holiday weekends (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Pres Week, Easter, summer holidays and even Columbus Day weekend is priced high). So, I try and avoid vacationing on these busy holiday weekends. Also, booking less than 30-45 days out for certain weekends I've noticed higher fares.

I guess I've been booking with SW long enough that I know how to get the better fares out of Philly to Orlando and I'm pretty open to being flexible.

Maria

I did not book because, for one...I am at work right and I thought I would just give it till tonight to see if the one way may drop ( to the $31.98) by tonight, when I get home. I will only book non-stop flights and SW does not have any non-stop out of Detroit. I refuse to spend 6-7 hrs. with connecting flights when I can fly non-stop and be in my "happy place" in 2 1/2hrs.
Our checked bag fee should be closer to $15 pp each way, with the new bag fees, because we are $9 members.
I realize this may not work for everyone, but it seems to be a good fit for us, even with the baggage fees.

Also....I'm not sure where you are looking on the Spirit site....but there are $31.98 ($9 club) fares for most days in Sept. and Oct. on the website, though not all are non-stop. Maybe you have to be logged in as a member to view them.:confused3

Man...you guys just won't quit.
Here's the way I look at it...as if anyone would actually care.
Spirit is going to charge for carryon bags. Fine. If that's okay with you, then you can book with them. Most people are going to say...."Hey, wait a minute. I can fly with Jetblue (or some other airline) and not pay for my carryon or my first checked bag..for the same price. Why would I fly with Spirit??"
I doubt many airlines are going to start sticking fees out there until they see how the public reacts.

I, for one, would love a quicker turnaround. If there were to be a fee to carry a second carryon bag onboard, that had to be stored in the overhead, then so be it. Then, give me that first checked bag free, and charge for any others after that first one.
This isn't rocket science here. You would think the airlines would all get on the same page....but no, they all have to have different policies.

I would agree, except......I can't fly JetBlue out of Detroit and SW is all connecting flights for higher fares. Right now, I'm looking for:
*The best total cost ( fees or not)
*non-stop flights
*on our travel days
* at a time that works for us.

I don't care if I fly "Tinkle-Toes" Airline...as long as it fits my criteria.
No airline has impressed me enough to have a monogomous (sp?) relationship with them, and I am always open to flirting with new options.

Just got an email from Spirit with the subject line :

Message from Spirit Airlines CEO about the carry-on crisis

Seriously ? Crisis ? I truly don't feel it's a crisis....and I do feel it's a way for Spirit to get extra fees. Noone will ever convince me otherwise....I think they're doing a little back-peddling and trying to justify their reasoning for the fee.......

Maria

Also....I'm not sure where you are looking on the Spirit site....but there are $31.98 ($9 club) fares for most days in Sept. and Oct. on the website, though not all are non-stop. Maybe you have to be logged in as a member to view them.:confused3

Maybe you have to be logged in. September calendar shows a low fare of $70 every day. Clicking on most days shows a $9 fare of 61.98.

SW has one approach. Two free checked bags. Very few fees. No change fees. No booking fees. Free soda. SW is profitable.

Spirit has the other approach. Charge fees. Charge a fee to join the $9 with the hope of lower fares. Spirit is also profitable.

Nothing wrong with either approach. Spirit isn't hiding the new fee for carryon bags.

I'm told the bins have a weight limit of around 83 lbs. I'm told the bins can fit 3 or 4 bags. A carryon bag can weigh 40 lbs. Do the math. The present system isn't safe.

Man...you guys just won't quit.
Here's the way I look at it...as if anyone would actually care.
Spirit is going to charge for carryon bags. Fine. If that's okay with you, then you can book with them. Most people are going to say...."Hey, wait a minute. I can fly with Jetblue (or some other airline) and not pay for my carryon or my first checked bag..for the same price. Why would I fly with Spirit??"
I doubt many airlines are going to start sticking fees out there until they see how the public reacts.

I, for one, would love a quicker turnaround. If there were to be a fee to carry a second carryon bag onboard, that had to be stored in the overhead, then so be it. Then, give me that first checked bag free, and charge for any others after that first one.
This isn't rocket science here. You would think the airlines would all get on the same page....but no, they all have to have different policies.

Lewisc: I'm told the bins can fit 3 or 4 bags. A carryon bag can weigh 40 lbs. Do the math. The present system isn't safe.

I agree about safety....but charging a fee wont necessarily make things any safer. Those people who bring on the 40 lb bags can still do that if they want to pay the $30 ?
Why not make a policy limiting the size and weight of a carry on ?

To charge a person the same fee for a 5 pound carry on that meets airline protocol for size/dimensions and a person with a 40 pound carry-on hardly seems fair.

Maria

SW has one approach. Two free checked bags. Very few fees. No change fees. No booking fees. Free soda. SW is profitable.

Spirit has the other approach. Charge fees. Charge a fee to join the $9 with the hope of lower fares. Spirit is also profitable.

Nothing wrong with either approach. Spirit is hiding the new fee for carryon bags.

I'm told the bins have a weight limit of around 83 lbs. I'm told the bins can fit 3 or 4 bags. A carryon bag can weigh 40 lbs. Do the math. The present system isn't safe.

I guess I would prefer not to cattle call. They can offer me 20 free bags, but I still wouldn't fly SW. Cheaper doesn't always mean better quality. SW came to Denver and had signs everywhere trying to undercut Frontier. Nope, still use Frontier. I refuse to be part of the "herd".

Most of the problem people going through security that have NO clue what to do and hold up the line have SW boarding passes. Coincidence? I think not. They went for the cheapest. It's the Walmart of airlines (in my opinion) and I don't care to fly with them.

Had2stopLurking: guess I would prefer not to cattle call.
They don't do the cattle call as you put it any more. Your boarding pass number correlates to a number in the boarding line. It's quite civilized now ;)

Had2stopLurking: went for the cheapest. It's the Walmart of airlines (in my opinion)
Yep...that is your opinion. I fly with SW for many reasons and not just lower fares. I'll pay a little more with SW over Delta or US Air because of fabulous cancellation policies and rescheduling (and more non-stop flights). Never had any issues with SW people having boarding issues ? We've found customer service with SW (both in person and on phone) FAR AND ABOVE Delta for example. And US Air was rude the last time we flew with them. They had a 3 hour baggage delay at end of flight. Nothing but top-notch service from SW. FAR from being the "walmart of airlines" :rolleyes:
I dunno....maybe things are different out there in Denver ? But SW is awesome in Philly and Orlando and even Tampa :thumbsup2

Maria

I agree about safety....but charging a fee wont necessarily make things any safer. Those people who bring on the 40 lb bags can still do that if they want to pay the $30 ?
Why not make a policy limiting the size and weight of a carry on ?

To charge a person the same fee for a 5 pound carry on that meets airline protocol for size/dimensions and a person with a 40 pound carry-on hardly seems fair.

Maria

The cost to check a bag will be less then the cost of a carryon bag that's put in the bins. A checked bag can be larger then a bin bag. The purpose of the new policy is safety and revenue. Budget passengers will save a few dollars by checking a bag. Passengers who are willing to pay extra will still use the bins. Airlines charge the same for 20 lb checked bag as they charge for a 49 lb bag. Spirit will be charging bin bags based on volumne.

I guess I would prefer not to cattle call. They can offer me 20 free bags, but I still wouldn't fly SW. Cheaper doesn't always mean better quality. SW came to Denver and had signs everywhere trying to undercut Frontier. Nope, still use Frontier. I refuse to be part of the "herd".

Most of the problem people going through security that have NO clue what to do and hold up the line have SW boarding passes. Coincidence? I think not. They went for the cheapest. It's the Walmart of airlines (in my opinion) and I don't care to fly with them.

SW has a lot of flights to leisure destinations. Probably more infrequent fliers. That said I haven't read of any statistics that suggests SW passengers cause greater issues with security. SW passengers aren't motivated to lug large carryon bags through security to save a few dollars. I'd expect SW passengers are less likely to produce delays screening carry on bags.

Airlines like Airtran, Spirit, Allegiant etc are examples of "Walmart" airlines. SW doesn't charge for 2 checked bags, doesn't charge for soft drinks, doesn't charge for snacks, doesn't have change fees etc. I wouldn't call SW the Walmart airline.

A checked bag can be larger then a bin bag. The purpose of the new policy is safety and revenue.

I get this Lewisc.....I was thinking maybe they should have just changed their policy to not allow those that bring in large/heavy carry ons. But as you said....revenue is probably the real underlying motive here..........;)
But for Spirit to call it a "carry on CRISIS" is sort of laughable. Come on...we're not stupid. If it were a crisis, just limit the size/weight/dimensions of the carry ons for safety and portability. But again.....this is a revenue thing that Spirit is trying to gloss over as being in the best interest of the fliers.........

Maria

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter