Spirit out of Detroit

J

jldriscoll

Getting ready to start booking our next trip to WDW :D

We have alway flown NWA, but this time I think I'd like to try Spirit. Mainly because they seem to have better departure times for our family and the fair is pretty much the same. DH likes to stay with the "known quantity" if he can help it. Anyone have an opinion? Would I regret switching airlines? How is Spirit's reliability and safety? Anything you can say to help me convince the hubby?

We have flown Spirit twice out of Metro. Both times late takeoffs both ways, in one case 3 hours. Seat and leg room very small.

Due to a really unpleasant experience with delta/comair would have flown them anyways this time however....

Maybe because of the new terminal NWA has some great times and rates direct for Orlando. We are flying on June 22 at 7 am and its direct. Coming home on June 29 at 5. And it was quite a bit cheaper than Spirit. I think we paid about $150 a piece and there were all kinds of times, all direct. Check their web site.

So.....if you can't find a direct elsewhere for a reasonable amount then I would fly Spirit, just be prepared for at minimum an hour delay and If you are tall or with long legs, get an aisle seat. 2 hours doens't seem like a long time until you sit like a pretzel.

Every time we go to WDW, we fly Spirit out of DTW. We did leave late 3/01, but we didn't whine and cry about it! It was only about an hour. Every other time, we have left on time. This March we actually made it down there in 2 hrs. We were shocked!! Coming home we left right on time. There are posters on this board that are "Spirit Bashers". One bad flight and the airline stinks. What about NW?? They don't exactly have the best on-time rating. Regarding fares, I think they are pretty competitive with everybody else. If you subscribe to their "syber Specials" they will notify you of discounted fares. You can do this on their website. When we booked in Aug 01 for our March 02 trip, we paid $204. Between booking date and Jan 02 the fare went down 2x. We now hold 4- $60 vouchers on Spirit. That will sure make a dent in the next trip. Try them once and make your own decision. Be sure to post about your flight and experience!

Michelle

We fly Spirit everytime:) They have a direct flight. I don't fly well (panic attacks) and I can't stop mid-way to Florida. Haven't had any problems yet. My DBF fits in the seats 6'3" 250lbs. I say he fits, he can't move around very much in the legs, but it's only for 2 hours:p Give em a try!

I say go for it! I've had good luck with Spirit, but Have only flown out of Chicago, not Detroit. I've heard Spirit often has delays, but I havn't experienced that. Their staff was very helpful and accomodating when we flew to Florida in the fall, just after 9/11, and they bumped our flight. I think the room is just the same as other airlines- no more, no less.

Same experience as wld--only we've flown Spirit only one time and my DH won't do it again. Our flight was 4 hours late on the departure. It was on time on the return but when landing the plane's interior parts fell off whacking people in the head (don't even get me started on how hard the touchdown was--could be why the plane was falling apart!). Guess that makes me one of those Spirit bashers.

I'm not a loyal NWA flyer either, although I must admit I'm extremely jealous of those $150 seats for 6/22 at 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. return--we used to love that early direct flight and when we've checked rates it was always around $260 per ticket! Good find on that one. NWA personnel in Orlando have always been somewhat hit and miss and NWA is the only airline that I've flown on a direct flight that lost my luggage! Then again, Delta sent it 2 hours early last year and it was waiting on us--luckily! I still can't believe someone didn't pick it up and head off to explore the contents (not much--but it would have caused a major headache). ;)

Last year and this we've flown Delta out of Toledo--Delta took very good care of us last year during the ComAir fiasco and the flights were all on time. Our fingers are crossed they will come through this year, too.

All of the airlines can experience challenges--no question.

See Tess... you've just confirmed my dilema..... there is no air carrier really reliable out there! We have always had good luck with NWA, but lately we've heard stories that make me think maybe it was a fluck. We will not do Delta as a close friend had a hoorendous experience with them last summer. I was hoping Spirit had more supporters. It looks about even. Guess I'll have to think.......

I REALLY REALLY don't want to be stuck on a plane for 3 hours (waiting that is) with a 4 yr old that needs to move!!!!! The flight alone will be enough for her!!

Oh, don't want to forget to thank you all for your input!!!:D :D :D :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter