Splash Mountain Will Change to Princess and the Frog--WILL OPEN 7/11 as Splash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this means that the iconic briar patch that you drop into will be removed (no connection to the new theme). I'm left wondering if they will add some oak trees with Spanish moss so you still drop into a "cave"-like structure. Or if it will just become an open air drop (I hope not).

Well to be fair, I'm not sure there are many people under 35-ish who are aware of Song of the South (even if they've never seen it). It always seemed odd that there was a ride based on IP that nobody under a certain age has seen.

And probably quite a few of us over 35ish who haven't seen The Princess and the Frog either. Disappointing change--classics are classics.

I guess this means that the iconic briar patch that you drop into will be removed (no connection to the new theme). I'm left wondering if they will add some oak trees with Spanish moss so you still drop into a "cave"-like structure. Or if it will just become an open air drop (I hope not).

I would love some oaks!

I love Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah and Splash Mountain. It will be sad to see it go. I also thought that GotG replacing ToT was a horrible idea but I absolutely loved GotG. I will reserve my thoughts for the new Princess and the Frog ride until after I have ridden it. I hope it is great. A wonderful opportunity to add a much needed villain into the parks.

Dare I say What Would Walt Do? I think he was all about changing and developing new ideas. However, wasn't he also about theming? In the end, Disney execs will do what they are doing, got it. However, I'd like to see other representations soon and continuing new ideas. I'm kind of blindsided by the announcement, it says a year planning but never heard this rumble until just recently.

So, in some interest of facts, is there an estimated date for the new ride? Will the current Splash Mountain be closed until it is "reimagined"? What will it be called?

I’m completely against this no matter what their reasoning is, or how long they’ve planned it. I think that trying to fit Princess and the Frog into Frontierland is a stretch no matter what. I’m also a mom of boys, so another princess anything is not going to excite them. There is a lot that caters to the girls, and less so for the boys, in my opinion. Splash mountain is more generic and appeals to both.

I'm an adult woman and I'm sick of all the princess stuff!

Why not Pocahontas?!

Pocahontas would have been nice, too, a good look for Frontierland. But I just saw the movie a couple of months ago in quarantine, and I can't recall any songs other than "Just Around the Riverbend" (which could be great in the ride) and "Colors of the Wind," a slow song. Meanwhile, "P&tF" has a number of Dixieland swing bangers reminiscent of a number of Disney films the studio's golden age. Those who have seen DL's "Mickey & the Magic Map" know what a hand-clapping, foot-stomping finale "Dig a Little Deeper" can be. You need something fun like that.
I'm excited for a scary middle section of the ride featuring Facilier and his friends on the Other Side!

I’m completely against this no matter what their reasoning is, or how long they’ve planned it. I think that trying to fit Princess and the Frog into Frontierland is a stretch no matter what. I’m also a mom of boys, so another princess anything is not going to excite them. There is a lot that caters to the girls, and less so for the boys, in my opinion. Splash mountain is more generic and appeals to both.

I have three sons, and they definitely see "P&tF" as more neutral a la "Moana" and even "Tangled" in having aspects that are not what one traditionally thinks of as "princessy." There's an adventure, a quest, and a lot of animals.

Yes... because they did such a good job on that Frozen ride... not
and its still very popular
Change is always in the ind of Imagineers, nothing is meant to stay the same, be it adding things like they did with IASW at DL (that was an uproar, petitions, you´re ruining a classic and then everyone was ok with it) a complete makeover like ToT, same issue, or just a brand new show like replacing Wishes with HEA or Illuminations for Harmoniuos . Things are not meant to stay the same

Let's see. My favorite ride at DHS was Great Movie Ride. They changed it. My favorite ride at Epcot was Maelstrom. They changed it. My favorite ride at Magic Kingdom was Splash Mountain. They are changing it. Look out, Expedition Everest!

I don't mind the change at Disneyland but don't think it fits Frontierland at WDW. Make a ride on Fantasyland... and attach a restaurant to it. Take The Edison's plans and make a few changes. Bang! Fun restaurant.

and its still very popular
Change is always in the mind of Imagineers, nothing is meant to stay the same, be it adding things like they did with IASW at DL (that was an uproar, petitions, you´re ruining a classic and then everyone was ok with it) a complete makeover like ToT, same issue, or just a brand new show like replacing Wishes with HEA or Illuminations for Harmoniuos . Things are not meant to stay the same

Honestly, the line between 'classic' and 'outdated' is very thin. I would hate to visit the parks when I'm 60 and see them exactly as they were when I was 10. Grow, change, and give us all a reason to keep coming back to see the next great thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter