Split Park/Split Stay-Pre Trip Report

ASBURY??!!!! YAY for Asbury!!!

We are Methodists, nearly all of our pastors we've had over the years have graduated from Asbury, as has most of the children of our friends!!

It was the college of choice for my daughter (she's a junior this year) until she realized they didn't offer the major she wants (although we all know that can change many, many times between now and then!).

I'm sorry you're not the one to take your grandkids. BUT.... just think of the AWESOME trip they'll have with you, you are, after all, a DISer!!!!!
Thanks for reading along. I hope I don't bore you too much. This will be a different trip for us.. we've always only done Disney World. :lovestruc

You're definitely not boring! I've been enjoying what you have written so far. My daughter and I are planning a trip for December and we are also staying offsite and doing the two park/spend one night thing. I hope to learn a lot from your experience with it.

Hi Susan!! Welcome!!
I LOVE the pic of your fur babies!! We have 2 ourselves.... a Chocolate Lab and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

A December trip? We went for a week, the week prior to Christmas, 3 years ago. It was by far one of the most memorable trips! The decorations were everything I had read about.... STUNNING!! And, my DH, SOOO happy, because he wasn't sweating buckets in the June heat!! :cool2:
It was a very different experience, and one we want to do again. This year in fact, we were debating between a summer trip or another Christmas trip. The only reason summer won out was because we knew we wanted to stay one night on-site at Universal and we wanted to go swimming in their pool, and perhaps try out the other deluxe pools. Well, that reason, and the fact that I am/was so sick of winter, and I didn't want to wait a whole year to go. I NEED to get away.

Which brings me to..... TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING!!! Hallelujah!!! :cheer2:

Thanks for reading along!!

Just catching your report.........enjoying it so far.

Waiting for more.....oh and we are advance menu readers too :rotfl:

One of my son's hobbies is recording escalators and elevators. He loves to video them, and he knows a lot about them too, things I never thought about, things most people never think about. And, prior to him loving elevators and escalators, I didn't realize there was an entire genre that consists of this very hobby on You Tube. My son, who was born with his own challenges, KNOWS his stuff. Things like the type of panels used, the brands, I don't know--- what this button is called, or what this riser is called, and so on. It's quirky, but he loves it. Not a lot of people understand it, but that's OK, it brings him pleasure. And, he has amassed quite the video collection! From at least a dozen states and the Bahamas and the Caribbean.... he's recorded from all over the place!! Well, Universal will be a new venue to him and he is SOOOO looking forward to filming some new elevators and escalators and giving the "tours" for his You Tube community. His birthday is at the end of May, just before we leave, and my DH and I are looking into a new camera for him. I'm so excited to see his face when he opens up whatever we end up buying for him.

My son, the traveler! He LOVES traveling! Every bit of it. Staying in hotels, eating on the road, checking out all the "newness." He even loves the long car rides to wherever we're going! The preparation and anticipation is over half of the excitement factor for him. Like I said, he is quirky, not a lot of people get him, but everyone who meets him falls instantly in love with him. He is the greeter at our church, some call him the "ambassador" and that describes him well! He greets everyone with an exuberant hug, and he is genuinely happy to see people! If you're a friend of his, you're a friend for life!! Ne never assumes the bad in people, he always assumes the good and has a hard time believing there's bad. We actually need to work on that, he is too trusting. But in time I think life will teach that, sadly. He takes his "job" at church very seriously. He hands out the bulletins and greets everyone with open arms, and gets very upset if we have to miss. It's funny, for the new members, or the visitors at our church, once they find out I'm Jacob's mom, then that's what I'm called, "Jacob's Mom." :goodvibes I'm fine with that! He is everyone's friend!! And, if they talk to him long enough, they will get an education of escalators and elevators, although he is learning that not everyone loves that subject as much as he does. He can tell you what brand elevator this hotel has, or that hotel has.... he just has this incredible memory.

Soooo, this trip to Orlando in June is especially exciting for him. A new hotel for him to video (he loves to do "room tours" and reviews for You Tube as well.) And a new park for him!! He, and the rest of us as well, is so excited!!!

Hi
Hopping on your report :)
I think your trip will be amazing it is always fun to try new things :)

ASBURY??!!!! YAY for Asbury!!!

We are Methodists, nearly all of our pastors we've had over the years have graduated from Asbury, as has most of the children of our friends!!

It was the college of choice for my daughter (she's a junior this year) until she realized they didn't offer the major she wants (although we all know that can change many, many times between now and then!).

I'm sorry you're not the one to take your grandkids. BUT.... just think of the AWESOME trip they'll have with you, you are, after all, a DISer!!!!!
Thanks for reading along. I hope I don't bore you too much. This will be a different trip for us.. we've always only done Disney World. :lovestruc

My dd's pastor here (Brethren in Christ) graduated from Asbury. The denomination has been generous financially. Our hope is that they come back here after they get their degrees.

I love your description of Jacob. I am sure he brings smiles to many faces.

Hi! Just joining in on your report! We are going the first week of June, so just slightly ahead of you...I will look forward to hearing more about your preparations as well as your post-trip report! :)

Great trip report so far! :thumbsup2 One thing that intrigued me to read it was your son who had developmental delays. My DS3 has major ones as well, he doesn't talk yet except for maybe 5 words which are never at the correct time LOL. And he didn't walk till 28 months old. DD6 is just speech delayed but DS delays are much worse. My brother lives in Taylor Mill KY so I know the area you live in. I am planning a split WDW/UNI trip but not till sometime in Aug or Oct 2015 so another year and a half to go. Can't even make resort reservations online yet. Just researching :surfweb: We used to live in Orlando (for 8 years) and moved away in 2012. Loving Richmond though. Cannot wait to read more.

Manders77...WELCOME!!

Taylor Mill??? Seriously, we live IN Taylor Mill! Technically our mailing address is Independence, but only because they changed the ZIP codes once the neighborhoods started building up so quickly!

Small world!! No pun intended, LOL!!

Raising a child with developmental delays and disabilities certainly has its challenges, but I have found that the blessings he brings to us can't be matched!! He is the most loving child, and doesn't hold back with his love! Disney World is one of his favorite places to be... and not to be corny, but it truly, genuinely, does inspire curiosity! He loves the details, the sights, sounds, and smells!! As a really little boy, whenever we'd return from a trip, we always noted a lot of progress. There was just something magical about our trips!

Glad you're reading along!

We watched Harry Potter yesterday, oh my gosh it really got us excited to visit UO!! My son is now at an age where he can kind of start to understand it, so we are "re-introducing" it to him, so to speak. After the movie I got on You Tube and started watching a couple videos of the rides. FJ and Mummy look great. Jurassic Park.... looked OK, am I wrong? Is it a decent ride? And what about Transformers? Good? I know that's a very subjective thing, but I couldn't get a good feel from the videos.

Anyways.... today is MLB Opening Day and we actually have a sunny day!! We are huge Cincinnati Reds fans and LOVE opening day!! Come on spring!!

I love Harry Potter, I watch it all the time its on ABC Family for HP Weekends. DH is always like not again. :rolleyes2 I cannot answer for Transformers since it opened after I moved away from Orlando so haven't experienced it yet. But the mummy is a good ride, Before kids we rode it all the time and I loved riding it wearing sunglasses (lost a few cheap pairs doing it, but it was fun. ) Jurassic Park was cool. When we go we will take DD, not sure if DS will be tall enough. My kids are obsessed with the minions right now. I think we are gong to go in October 2015, DH wants to go to HHN if the walking dead is offered, we are huge walking dead fans as well. I was alittle uneasy about possibly taking kids away from structured school, but I think we can help them experience new things, and DH doesn't want to go in August (too hot) - that was the part he hated about living there. But when we go we are looking at staying at the hard rock at universal and torn between resorts at disney. Have fun with your planning. Can't wait to hear your planning.

Manders77 said:
I love Harry Potter, I watch it all the time its on ABC Family for HP Weekends. DH is always like not again. :rolleyes2 I cannot answer for Transformers since it opened after I moved away from Orlando so haven't experienced it yet. But the mummy is a good ride, Before kids we rode it all the time and I loved riding it wearing sunglasses (lost a few cheap pairs doing it, but it was fun. ) Jurassic Park was cool. When we go we will take DD, not sure if DS will be tall enough. My kids are obsessed with the minions right now. I think we are gong to go in October 2015, DH wants to go to HHN for the walking dead, we are huge walking dead fans as well. I was alittle uneasy about possibly taking kids away from structured school, but I think we can help them experience new things, and DH doesn't want to go in August (too hot) - that was the part he hated about living there. But when we go we are looking at staying at the hard rock at universal and torn between resorts at disney. Have fun with your planning. Can't wait to hear your planning.

We don't know if Walking Dead will be part of HHN in 2015. They haven't even announced the houses for this year.

We know that, and our upcoming trip is not planned around HHN it's around Harry Potter. Actually if the Walking Dead was offered, we would only go through that house and see the walking dead stuff, none of the other stuff interested us in the past. We lived in Orlando for 8 years previously, 8 yrs passholders to Universal but never once visited HHN. It never intersted us till we heard about the walking dead. We moved in 2012. If its there great, if not no biggie.

I just love when I open up the Universal section of the Dis boards and there's another glowing review of RPR!!

I have been searching for some cargo capris or shorts with roomy pockets, I'd love to be able to not carry a bag. BUT, we are all various shades of white, and not just any white, but fish belly white, so sunscreen needs to be fit in too.

My daughter would tell me, "First world problems, mom!" Lol!

And she would be right :)

I just love when I open up the Universal section of the Dis boards and there's another glowing review of RPR!!

So true......we love to hear people had a great time at the Universal hotels. You do occasionally get one or two who say they didn`t like it or even hated it........but thankfully they are few.

I love the sound of your son`s enthusiasm for all things new. He sounds very appreciative of what you have given him.........I hope he just adores your trip, he sounds lovely ::yes::

Heluvsme...i saw in earlier post that your family visits Clearwater Beach. We are leaving in 12 days to head to Florida..doing one day at US/IoA, 1 day MK and 1 day clearwater. Just wondering if its as great of a beach as they say. we are going to the aquarium and on the 1 1/2 hour boat safari. I'm excited. love the beach anywhere...but especially if its really clear water w/white sand!!! any tips??

Yes, Clearwater is as nice as you hear! The sand is so soft and white, it's like sugar! Because it's on the gulf side the water's a little warmer and calmer. We used a company there on the beach to rent chairs and umbrella from....$20 plus a tip for 2 chairs and an umbrella.... Great deal!!! We loved the area around the public beach as well.... Found good places to eat, a cute ice cream shop, a couple touristy stores.... A real clean little area that wasn't super busy like Daytona is, in my opinion. Your excursion sounds fun, have a great time!

Yes, Clearwater is as nice as you hear!

The sugar is so soft and white, it's like sugar! Because it's on the gulf side the water's a little warmer and calmer. We used a company there on the beach to rent chairs and umbrella from....$20 plus a tip for 2 chairs and an umbrella.... Great deal!!!

We loved the area around the public beach as well.... Found good places to eat, a cute ice cream shop, a couple touristy stores.... A real clean little area that wasn't super busy like Daytona is, in my opinion.

Your excursion sounds fun, have a great time!

We love Clearwater too. We weren`t keen on the other side, Cocoa and Daytona were not as nice, and water was too rough for us and not as warm.

We used to stay one night at the Hilton and it was just beautiful, right on the beach next to pier 60. We`re not really hang about the beach people, but love a day or so mooching around here. Beautiful white silken sand and the warmest water!!!

We went on the sea screamer one year and little toot the next.....both were fantastic and the dolphins we saw were just amazing swimming free. Love, love, love the sunset while either on the beach or sipping a cocktail in one the hotels along the front.

Dinner was always Crabby Bill`s then a wander on the pier and beachfront. We haven`t gone last 2 years but thinking about it for a night this year......maybe.

So yes I agree with you :beach:......it is as good as they say it is ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter