Spring into a New Beginning- APRIL 2017 WISH Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

Good morning all! Just popping on to say HAPPY MONDAY! I'm currently working online and then will head off to school and then back home to get prepped for tomorrow's WW meeting and do some WW online training that has a deadline of TODAY! WHOOPS! So I probably won't make it back here today unless things are slow at school. Have a good week!! .......P

After Walt returned from the war he set off looking for work in Kansas City. Determined to be a cartoonist he turned down anything that didn't have to do with drawing. His first job was for Pesmen-Rubin commercial art studio. There he drew farm equipment for advertisements. It was also there that he met Ub Iwerks, a friendship that would last for many years. Both Walt and Ub were let go from the commercial studio after the Christmas rush. Together they decided to go into business for themselves. But the Iwerks-Disney company was only in business for a month before Walt took a job as an artist for the Kansas City Slide Company.
disneyfilmadservice.jpg
Walt is sitting on the side of the stairs above the green x​

This decision proved to change Walt's life. There he was making moving cartoons that would be played in front of motion pictures. The work intrigued Walt. He spent much of his time finding out just how animation worked. He checked out books at the library on the subject. After that the Kansas City Slide Company's animation started changing from stick figures to more realistic images thanks to Walt.

Walt researched and improved his work at the Kansas City Slide company. What research have you done to improve your lifestyle? Do you read books or the latest studies on nutrition and exercise?

My woohoo for the day is my bag came that I ordered months ago. It was custom made with my bibs from my races and it turned out great.

I saw your bag in an ad for Bibs2Bags on Facebook (RunDisney Marketplace group). I thought that was pretty cool! They did block out the names.

DS7 and DD3 have now got the stomach bug

Ugh, hopefully that stomach bug will be gone soon.

have you ever played an April Fool's joke or other prank on somebody?

My husband loves Gobstoppers and Nerds so I bought them both in the movie theater size boxes. I carefully opened both side flaps, switched the candy into the other box and glued the side flaps back. He actually told me the factory must have made a mistake and put the wrong candy in the box. This was my daughter's favorite joke and we still laugh about it. Other than that one time I don't really do pranks because most come off as kind of mean.

I was upset but now I am ticked off over the whole situation.

Absolutely horrible and it always seems to be a repeat offender in these situations. Where I live we have had probably 3 accidents in the past month that resulted in deaths because of wrong way drunk drivers on the highway.

What research have you done to improve your lifestyle?

Google and online running groups. Probably not very scientific but it's more enjoyable for me to read the experiences of others.

No change in activity this week. My knee has been swelling up a lot so my husband talked me into taking this past week off to see if it would get better with rest. Now I feel like a slug but I'll be back at it this week.

After Walt returned from the war he set off looking for work in Kansas City. Determined to be a cartoonist he turned down anything that didn't have to do with drawing. His first job was for Pesmen-Rubin commercial art studio. There he drew farm equipment for advertisements. It was also there that he met Ub Iwerks, a friendship that would last for many years. Both Walt and Ub were let go from the commercial studio after the Christmas rush. Together they decided to go into business for themselves. But the Iwerks-Disney company was only in business for a month before Walt took a job as an artist for the Kansas City Slide Company.
View attachment 230420
Walt is sitting on the side of the stairs above the green x​

This decision proved to change Walt's life. There he was making moving cartoons that would be played in front of motion pictures. The work intrigued Walt. He spent much of his time finding out just how animation worked. He checked out books at the library on the subject. After that the Kansas City Slide Company's animation started changing from stick figures to more realistic images thanks to Walt.

Walt researched and improved his work at the Kansas City Slide company. What research have you done to improve your lifestyle? Do you read books or the latest studies on nutrition and exercise?

I have not done research. I leave that up to my husband and let him tell me if anything is worth while. I am not a reader. I pretty much hate it. I have read a few books but they are always true stories and I really need to be interested in that person. With the vision issues my daughter and I have I found out that a good reason why I don't like to read is that my eyes have to work harder to read then someone with normal vision. Sentences can look different for each person with CI (convergence insufficiency). For me there are not always clean breaks in between each word and lines kind of jumble together. For my daughter the lines look like a wave and the words are fuzzy or blurry. All this makes you very tired when you read.

+++++++++++

This weekend was an ok weekend food wise. I did eat a little bit better but I did have ice cream cake each night, BK for lunch on Saturday but went to Panera for a healthier choice for dinner while shopping at the mall. I did get some chocolate while at the mall. I owed my daughter some since I ate a few pieces of hers. So while at the chocolate store I got some buckeyes. There were only 12 and i shared them with the family. Yesterday we went out to eat for dinner. I was just too tired to cook. I did have a salad for dinner though. So I could have done better this weekend I didn't do horrible. I made some good choices and some bad ones too.

Friday was a fun night. For my sons birthday gift we let him pick out a new bike. He picked one that is florescent yellow. This is his favorite color. His shoes, back pack, sweat shirt, a pair of athletic pants, now bike are all this same bright florescent yellow. I am not a fan of it but I can always find him in a crowd.

Saturday my son had karate almost all day. He had his regular class from 8:30 to 10:15 and then an open house form 12-4. Our rec is home to the CAVS Girls (our NBA Team cheerleaders/dancers) for practice so 3 of them were at the open house. My son was n heaven. He spent about an hour talking to them. He was telling them all about his karate. They were really good with him and acted like they were interested in what he was saying. My son did tell me he had the best birthday gift because he got to see the CAVS girls. After all of this I went shopping to get everything for the kids Easter baskets. So I really was not home all day.

Sunday we did our grocery shopping for the week and then I took the kids to an Easter egg hunt. After that we ran up to home depot to get a few sample colors of paint. We are looking to repaint our kitchen and utility room. I painted it about 7 years ago and have never liked the color. My husband has finally gotten into wanting to fix things up. Saturday he put in the vanity that we have had for 2.5 years. Now he wants to paint, fix the area around our back door from when he put in a new door and fixing some lighting around the house. This might be a busy summer.

Today I am going to get back to tracking my food. I fixed the syncing issue I was having with my fitbit so now I have not excuses. I really need to get back on track. I am not feeling great about myself right now. I feel like I have gained a lot of weight back. Time to get myself back together.

I'm not much of a prankster. I'm sure I've done April Fools a couple times but can't remember what they were. The last prank someone played on me was my boss altering the configuration of my keyboard because I'd left my PC unlocked and stepped away from my desk. I was so pissed off that she did apologize. Oh, one thing we used to do when I was managing the team was send out an email on behalf of anyone who didn't lock their PC... things like "meet me at Starbucks's a 10am - I'm treating."

I do read books and do research.... sometimes trendy stuff sometimes more hard core healthful stuff.

An OK weekend eating wise, on program but probably not as nutritional as it should have been. Wednesday is the last day of the "official" 14 days, but I feel like I need to stick pretty close to how I've been eating: one Starbucks's is never enough so I'll have to keep staying away. And I will need to continue to limit the amounts of gluten and dairy I consume, but will start to allow myself a little bit. I took the big test and tried my jeans on and was able to get in to them, just still tight right around the waist. Close enough tho that I felt like I wouldn't need to get a new pair to wear while in Texas... then I went shopping and found a style I liked and got them anyway. But they turned out to be a tad too big so I've brought them with me today to return. I also bought three pairs of shoes, I've never bought three pairs of shoes at one time before but everything I tried on fit and they are all different, so now I'm set for the spring/summer.

Yesterday turned out to be dry, so I did get things cleaned up in the front yard, it looks slightly better. Plants are starting to bloom and leaf out but overall things are several weeks behind because of the cold and damp weather. The 10 day weather forecast for Dallas now extends in to when we'll be there... low 80's with scattered thunder showers. Dang it, at least it'll be warm, and scattered is better than all day.

Happy Monday everyone!

Hi All! I'm back from my work week at Disney and trying to settle in and get back into routine. I only got maybe 6 hours total time in parks because the conference turned out to be super interesting-- So I was staying at the convention center much more than I had anticipated. The good/bad news is that the food options at the convention center were AWFUL! So I was living on protein bars, fruit, and other things I could stuff in my purse. But that was good-- it kept me away from the pizza options and other fried offerings. I did manage to have good dinners (because I was back at Disney by then haha!), and participated in happy hour a little. But I did manage to loose a little and I was thinking for sure I was going to gain.

Business wise, I am so glad I went. Awesome learning experience, and I am super charged wanting to get my business going in a few new directions :)

Catching up a little....

Pranks: The best one I have played was on DH. A week or two before April Fool's Day, I spilled an old nail polish out on a piece of wax paper, let it dry, then peeled off the wax paper. I had just moved in with DH, and we had recently bought new furniture which he was very freakish and protective about. So I woke up early and put the dried-but-looked-real spill out on the new coffee table and waited.
The look on his face was priceless as he bellowed out, "BRING THE PAPER TOWELS!" :rotfl2: Luckily he didn't kick me out then and there-- his father is big prankster, so he's used to it. Haha!

Research: I would say I am a moderate researcher when it comes to healthy living. I know the basics of what I should be doing but not necessarily the scientific processes and reasons behind why and how it works. Biology isn't my strongest suit. I find I can get too bogged down into the details, and when I do I obsess about it... and if I am obsessing it becomes a chore and I will quit.

Checking in at 14% -- I did not work out while in Orlando (other than walk the parks and the huge convention center!), but have the rest of my classes all scheduled out for the month. So I am ready to get back to it!

What research have you done to improve your lifestyle? Do you read books or the latest studies on nutrition and exercise?

My research has compromised mostly of finding people on insta (I love instagram, if you can't tell. I feel like I talk about it all the time haha) and then I'll look them up online. I've found quite a few interesting people this way and that's how I learned about reverse dieting which is what I'm working on currently. Working on-ish. Working on adjacent :)

So the basic concept is that if you've crash-dieted or severely restricted for so long then you essentially lower your basal metabolic rate, so that means your body requires less calories in order to function.Which means that you eat less calories in order to maintain. So the goal is to "reverse diet" and slowly reduce cardio while introducing more calories into your diet and attempting to maintain your weight with as little fat gain as possible.

I say that I'm ish working on it because I'm actually going to introduce a bit more cardio. I'm doing about 15 minutes, 5 days a week. I'd like to add in a couple runs a week. I think this will allow me to introduce more calories but more easily maintain/maybe even lose a little bit of weight. While eating more food, I won't complain.

I spilled an old nail polish out on a piece of wax paper, let it dry, then peeled off the wax paper. I had just moved in with DH, and we had recently bought new furniture which he was very freakish and protective about. So I woke up early and put the dried-but-looked-real spill out on the new coffee table and waited.

I'm totally stealing this for next year!

I saw your bag in an ad for Bibs2Bags on Facebook (RunDisney Marketplace group). I thought that was pretty cool! They did block out the names.
Oh that is cool, I guess it would be the perfect to advertise to runDisney people :laughing: I don't have Facebook so thanks for letting me know!

My husband loves Gobstoppers and Nerds so I bought them both in the movie theater size boxes. I carefully opened both side flaps, switched the candy into the other box and glued the side flaps back. He actually told me the factory must have made a mistake and put the wrong candy in the box. This was my daughter's favorite joke and we still laugh about it. Other than that one time I don't really do pranks because most come off as kind of mean.
That is hilarious:hyper:

it's more enjoyable for me to read the experiences of others.
I agree I have probably learned more from others than from scientific research.

My knee has been swelling up a lot so my husband talked me into taking this past week off to see if it would get better with rest. Now I feel like a slug but I'll be back at it this week.
Oh no! I hope this week is better for you. I know how hard it is to take off for an injury. This always comes to mind
runner.jpg
Today I am going to get back to tracking my food. I fixed the syncing issue I was having with my fitbit so now I have not excuses. I really need to get back on track. I am not feeling great about myself right now. I feel like I have gained a lot of weight back. Time to get myself back together.
No better time to get back on track than the start of the week!

I took the big test and tried my jeans on and was able to get in to them
Sounds like a woohoo moment!!! I love the feeling of fitting back into clothes :)

Pranks: The best one I have played was on DH. A week or two before April Fool's Day, I spilled an old nail polish out on a piece of wax paper, let it dry, then peeled off the wax paper. I had just moved in with DH, and we had recently bought new furniture which he was very freakish and protective about. So I woke up early and put the dried-but-looked-real spill out on the new coffee table and waited.
The look on his face was priceless as he bellowed out, "BRING THE PAPER TOWELS!" :rotfl2: Luckily he didn't kick me out then and there-- his father is big prankster, so he's used to it. Haha!
GENIUS!! I don't think I could keep a straight face with something like this but man I would like to try it.

So the basic concept is that if you've crash-dieted or severely restricted for so long then you essentially lower your basal metabolic rate, so that means your body requires less calories in order to function.Which means that you eat less calories in order to maintain. So the goal is to "reverse diet" and slowly reduce cardio while introducing more calories into your diet and attempting to maintain your weight with as little fat gain as possible.
I have never thought of it this way but it makes perfect sense.

I tend to browse Instagram for fitness and diet posts to try to get ideas for meals and exercise routines. I'll read the occasional article on nutrition and exercise but not books. It's kind of funny because I actually took a nutrition class in college so I KNOW what I need to do however it's a matter of actually doing it.

----

So an update from this weekend. I'm off of Whole30 as of last night by order of my mother in law and grandfather in law who are both master level RNs. I wasn't eating more than once a day because I got to the point of hating everything I had available to eat and the textures were making me nauseous. Then yesterday my throat was swollen, my sinuses were swollen and congested, a migraine was in full force and I got the chills and was shaking uncontrollably to the point that my arms were numb. So after eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich last night and this morning, I'm back to feeling 100%. I'm going to still eat healthy and probably join WW on Friday like I planned to do when I finished Whole30. However, right now I'm trying to just make sure I eat 3 meals a day and don't resent food.

That was not the way I planned on ending my weekend!

I did hit my water and steps goals though so that's a positive. I'm not sure how to measure that for the monthly progress though.

I'm sure you've said before but what kind of business do you have again?

We just bought a company that makes a floor repair adhesive that fixes hollow tiles without having to remove the tiles. It came with a few other products (grout stain and cleaners). Really small and in an industry I knew literally nothing about until this weekend... But I think there is room for growth :)

walt2.jpg

Life was good for Walt when he was making Film ads. His salary of $60 a week allowed him to be a dapper dresser and impress the ladies. His work was also excelling. Even with all that he had going for him Walt was not satisfied with doing the same old thing. He was constantly experimenting. The garage of the house that him and Roy rented from their parents became his studio. His side business of making cartoons took off when the local movie houses bought his cartoon about the drivers in Kansas city that were fed up with the conditions of the roads. He started supplying the movie houses with a new cartoon every week. Walt was receiving 30 cents a foot for each film but that was only enough to cover the costs to make them. This new venture was named Laugh-O-grams. They proved so popular that Walt had to hire help. He couldn't afford to pay the boys he hired but offered them a share of future profits. Their first production was Little Red Riding Hood and it took them 6 months to finish it. When it was done Walt was so pleased with his work that he quit his day job.

Here is Little Red Riding Hood from 1922

Walt left the security of his day job for the uncertainty of starting his own business. In the end this proved to be the right move for him but it was years before he was able to reap his reward. At the time the people around him probably thought he was going was crazy for giving up on a successful career. In your life when things are looking good do you step in your own way? Are you a self saboteur? If you are why do you think that is?

Bonus question: What is your favorite Disney movie?

QOTD: Yes, I repeatedly get in my own way. And I'm sure there's an element of self sabotage involved, but also short attention span. And I'm fairly certain that the extra weight is protection from things that happened in childhood, so when it starts to melt away that can be a bit scary.

Favorite Disney movie... well, it isn't really a Disney movie, just distributed by them but over the weekend I watched 'The Light Between Oceans' on pay-per-view and was so possessed by it that I watched it again last night before the rental expired. It's one of those films that really transports you to a different place and time, and Micheal Fassbender - holy cow. I really haven't seen his movies before, other that '12 Years a Slave', so I've been missing out for sure.

The count downs continue... tomorrow is the end of elimination. I've really been thinking hard about what to do next... I do still have some sugar cravings, so that'll be a challenge but the thing I want the most is a huge Cesar Salad. Not that bad of an option but prepared salad dressing always have a lot of crap in them. This morning my Brother texted about the plans for next week and we've been going back and worth on the details. The weather forecast has changed/improved to partly cloudy for most of the time we've there, so very excited about this.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Life was good for Walt when he was making Film ads. His salary of $60 a week allowed him to be a dapper dresser and impress the ladies. His work was also excelling. Even with all that he had going for him Walt was not satisfied with doing the same old thing. He was constantly experimenting. The garage of the house that him and Roy rented from their parents became his studio. His side business of making cartoons took off when the local movie houses bought his cartoon about the drivers in Kansas city that were fed up with the conditions of the roads. He started supplying the movie houses with a new cartoon every week. Walt was receiving 30 cents a foot for each film but that was only enough to cover the costs to make them. This new venture was named Laugh-O-grams. They proved so popular that Walt had to hire help. He couldn't afford to pay the boys he hired but offered them a share of future profits. Their first production was Little Red Riding Hood and it took them 6 months to finish it. When it was done Walt was so pleased with his work that he quit his day job.

Here is Little Red Riding Hood from 1922

Walt left the security of his day job for the uncertainty of starting his own business. In the end this proved to be the right move for him but it was years before he was able to reap his reward. At the time the people around him probably thought he was going was crazy for giving up on a successful career. In your life when things are looking good do you step in your own way? Are you a self saboteur? If you are why do you think that is?

I do not like change at all. A lot of that has to do with the uncertainty that might be ahead. I stayed at a job that I hated for 8.5 years mainly because of this. I do think I can be a self saboteur at times. I think I get in my own way because of how much I hate change. This is something that i think is getting worse as I get older. I swear in high school I went with the flow. Not so much any more.

Favorite Disney Movie........ That is a hard one. I like different ones in different areas of my life. Cinderella was my favorite as a kid and will always have a special place. As a teenager it was Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King and Mighty Ducks as an adult I would say all the live actions and all the animated ones starting with Brave. It is just too hard to decide.

++++++++++

I did really good yesterday staying within my calories. I did get my 10,000 steps in also. Today is going to be rough. My daughter is home sick with my husband and I have scholarship readings for the PTA tonight. I am not sure I will get my 10,000 steps in. I am not sure what is going on with my daughter. She had a 100.6 temp this morning after she had been up for about an hour and then it dropped to 99.7 within the next 30 minutes. She is also complaining of her stomach and throat hurting. When I called the school to them know she won't be in they said strep is going around her grade. So we are watching for this. She also still has a bump under her skin on her cheek (from where she hit it a few weeks ago) that is very tender to the touch, so I am not sure if maybe it is infected. Or maybe she just has a cold and some allergies stuff going on. I might take her in this afternoon or wait until the morning. My son has his check up right when they open so i can just bring her with me. This poor girl has been sick since December. She gets better for a short time and them gets sick again. Hopefully this trend will stop soon.

What research have you done to improve your lifestyle? Do you read books or the latest studies on nutrition and exercise?

I have read some stuff. Some of it has worked for a while but than between the PCOS and the your lab levels are fine and we are going to ignore the fact that you have 95% of the symptoms of hypothyroid for your gender that the medical establishment has around here after a while it quits working. I have managed to loose in the past by working out 1.5-2 hours a day but I learned last month that pushing myself to an average of just under 21 minutes a day results in my having a fibro and cf flare up that puts me out of commission so it is better if I stick to 10-15 minutes unless I can get to the pool. I can manage 30-45 minutes of light swimming and pool walking.

In your life when things are looking good do you step in your own way? Are you a self saboteur? If you are why do you think that is?

I have a tendency to self sabotage by eating fast food take out more often than I should. I think this is because it is easier on me just to get something than to worry about making sure the dishes are done and cooking a meal especially since 9 year old is so selective on what she will eat ( her choice of breakfast this morning was some oreos)

Beauty and the Beast.

In your life when things are looking good do you step in your own way? Are you a self saboteur? If you are why do you think that is?

I am ABSOLUTELY a self saboteur! It's actually ridiculous how often I do this to myself. I think a lot of it comes along the lines of not thinking that I'm worth the effort and happiness. It's an on going battle with my self esteem. I've been doing better this year though. I've given myself a new rule I have to follow: if you wouldn't say it to Gwen why would you say it to yourself? It's working really well so far.

It's really hard for me to narrow down just one favorite Disney movie so I'll share just a few. Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast (live action), Hocus Pocus, Inside Out, Lilo and Stitch and at least 100 others lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter