SSR and AKL lots of questions

TeacherDL

Mouseketeer
We are going the first of June with our family of five....My husband, two girls (13 and 19), and my oldest daughters boyfriend (also 19). We always stay Deluxe...Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, and Grand Floridian are the ones we have stayed in.
Since we need extra room, we are looking at staying in a 2 bedroom villa at Saratoga or Animal Kingdom. (thought about OKW but it looks like it will be going through refurbishments?)

Are those usually included in the Disney special offers? We have never rented points before, but I'm considering doing that too. If you rent points, do you get the same early booking of fast passes as when you go through Disney? When you rent points, do you usually get your tickets at an outside broker?

Also, what are your thoughts on SSR and AKL? I'm really leaning toward SSR because it is cheaper, but I don't want to be too far out. Also, what is the best area to request to stay in at SSR (because it looks really large)..close to food court/best transportation?

I appreciate any help you can give me!

SSR is included in some of the special offers. I don't know how often the AKV 2BRs are available in the special offers.

If you rent points, do you get the same early booking of fast passes as when you go through Disney?
Yes.

When you rent points, do you usually get your tickets at an outside broker?
Yes.

Important to note that if you rent, the transaction is final. You won't be able to cancel, change the booking, etc. You won't get daily housekeeping, but a more abbreviated schedule (aside from daily trash pickup).

If it's a choice between an AKV Kidani 2BR and Saratoga, I would go AKV because it will have 3 bathrooms to Saratoga's pair.

I stayed at AKL in a studio in Jambo House last August on rented points, and just got back from a week-of-Christmas stay in a Standard Studio at Saratoga Springs resort using our own points as we are new DVC members. Comparing the two resorts, I would say that AKL actually won in the Transportation dept! We had much better luck making it to our destinations on time with AKL than we did with SSR.

The problem with SSR is that resort (along with OKW, and some of the moderates like CBR and CSR) has individual bus stops within the resort, one for each section. Ours was the second stop, which means once we got on the bus, we had to wait while the bus stopped at each of the other bus stops before it was on it's way to the park. Our first morning, we got to our bus stop at 8:45am to make a 9:35am reservation at in Epcot, and we didn't even leave SSR grounds until 9:25 :scared:. We adjusted our expectations after that, but still were annoyed at how much park time we wasted waiting on buses in the morning.

AKL was much better. We never waited that long on a bus there, and while it did occasionally stopped at the other building (Kandi) it didn't take nearly as long to get on the road to our destination as it did at SSR. Even though it took a little longer drive to get to some parks (MK namely) as it did once we left SSR, I really didn't feel like it was as long of a bus ride all together as it was at SSR. To be fair, I am comparing summer crowds for AKL and holiday crowds at SSR, but I don't feel like the buses were more crowded one time than the other.

Resort-wise, I can't speak for SSR that much, since we really only used it for a room--we didn't even see the quick-service location and shop at SSR until we were waiting on ME to take us to the airport. The separate rotunda-like area of the check-in desk was all I really saw of the common area of the resort. But it looked like a good pool area and the resort grounds were nice. We got a ground floor studio, and I liked the little patio area we had, we overlooked both a small lake and a large pond on our almost-corner room.

At AKL, walking through that giant lobby every day was nice! If we wanted to, we could stop and soak it all in on our way back to our room, especially if our little guy was asleep in the stroller. They had a big balcony with rocking chairs for looking over the savannah, as well as the big overlook rock area outside to check out the animals. Being right there close to all the restaurants and amenities was great. The pool area was nice, I checked it out even though we didn't swim. We booked a standard view room, but ended up on one of the small wings that come off the big horseshoe shape and had a little alcove of savannah view! We saw animals every day from our 5th floor balcony, and one night, 3 giraffes slept right there off our balcony!

All in all, I think I prefer the hotel-style layout of places like AKL, Poly, GF and Wilderness Lodge vs a big spread-out resort like SSR and OKW.

Also, to answer your questions regarding renting points, you get the same resort-guest advantages as people paying cash rooms, like booking fast passes at 60 days out, ordering magic bands, etc. Because you are not booking a package though (you essentially have a room only reservation), you don't get the cute little plastic luggage tags that match the color of your bands. You can choose to purchase your park tickets direct from Disney, or use a ticket broker like Undercover Tourist. Be sure to load your tickets to your MDE account before 60 days to take advantage of your 60 day fast pass window! If you like using the Dining Plan, you can still purchase it, you just have to pay for it when you book the plan through the DVC member/broker you are renting your points through. You cannot call and add it yourself, the DVC member or broker must do it for you. As others have said, renting points is a final transaction, once you book you cannot modify your dates or cancel your trip. We had a great experience renting points direct from a member we found here in the DVC rent/trade board. They were offering points for $13 per point, so we were able to do 9 nights at an AKL studio for just $1976. That's much cheaper than staying 9 nights in a cash room at AKL!

That's just my two cents. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, I'll try to answer the best I can!

For the best food access I like Congress Park as it is a very short walk to Disney Springs where you have a vast variety of food options.

Last edited:
We love AKL and it always gets our vote. We rent points for 2 bedroom villas. We most enjoy Jambo House because we love being near the main lobby and Boma, but we also love Kidani. With 3 teenagers, I'd book Kidani. The 2 bedrooms there have 3 full bathrooms while Jambo only has 2. Kidani also has a parking garage, and this might be just luck, but we've always been able to park closer to our rooms in the garage where the parking lot at Jambo sometimes feels like a hike (even thought it's not!).

Boma is the best restaurant in Disney, IMO. We've had great luck with the buses.
AKL has so many resort activities and some are unique like night vision animal viewing and drumming in the lobby.

SSR on the other hand, has been our least favorite resort. I wouldn't stay there again unless it was the only choice and our days weren't flexible. It's such a large property and too spread out to enjoy all the amenities by walking. The internal bus takes a long time to go all the way around. It's a gorgeous property and anywhere else in the world we might actually have like it. But there isn't any Disney Magic there, and when we're at Disney we want to know it. The Disney decor is very subtle compared to other resorts. Even the cms seem to be a little watered down. We had dinner at the Turf Club, it was only ok. Pricey for what it was. We were on the dining plan that visit (which never works out for us, we have officially given up on it) and I think we ended up oop for that meal because my husband's order wasn't included or would have taken 2 credits. The only bright spot to us was the QS (Artist's Palette, I think). The food there was wonderful and I think it's the best resort QS we've been to.
We were there during Hurricane Matthew. After the storm the cms were not really interested in helping anyone. We were stuck in town for a few days and moved over to All Star Music and were shocked to absolutely love it there. Everything that SSR was missing, ASMu had in spades, even after a storm that had some cms working long hours. The line in the lobby was 2 hours long!

AKL has our heart, for sure. We're headed back next month and can't wait to get there.

We stayed at SSR last summer in a 2 bedroom then moved to AKL but we were in a hotel room not a villa so I can't compare the rooms. Our group was DH & myself plus DD23, DDBF23, and DS21. We also mostly stay deluxe with the majority of stays at BC because we love walking to 2 parks, well and BC itself!

We stayed at SSR first. We were in the Grand Stand area. We were quick walking distance to the check in desk/pool/qs, etc. We were concerned that we would miss walking into EP (which we did) but found that we used DS like we used EP. Other things we liked about SSR-more space over a hotel room and the QS was nice (ate there 2xs) and the "store". While the pools don't compare to SAB, the pools were nice. It's a pretty resort to walk around if you are so inclined. I don't recall feeling like we spent that much more time on the bus going to the parks but the internal stops do add time depending on your location. We were the first stop so we traveled around the resort every time we rode but also were the first off at the end of the day. CMs were pleasant but not overly engaging.

AKL has the stunning lobby in Jambo house and of course the animal viewing. We liked just sitting on the balcony for periods of time to watch them. CMs were more friendly at AKL. We like both Boma and Jiko for a meal. We liked doing AKL at the end of the stay when we were more willing to just stay around the resort for longer periods of time because there isn't the ease of access to the parks like BC or even SSR where you can head to DS quickly if you want more entertainment or food options.

We were able to get an AP discount on both rooms last summer. We stayed Club at AKL and our 2 bedroom at SSR was cheaper than the room at AKL. I haven't tried renting points yet but have a feeling that's just a matter of time as the costs keep climbing! Good luck making your decision!

We love AKL and it always gets our vote. We rent points for 2 bedroom villas. We most enjoy Jambo House because we love being near the main lobby and Boma, but we also love Kidani. With 3 teenagers, I'd book Kidani. The 2 bedrooms there have 3 full bathrooms while Jambo only has 2. Kidani also has a parking garage, and this might be just luck, but we've always been able to park closer to our rooms in the garage where the parking lot at Jambo sometimes feels like a hike (even thought it's not!).

Boma is the best restaurant in Disney, IMO. We've had great luck with the buses.
AKL has so many resort activities and some are unique like night vision animal viewing and drumming in the lobby.

SSR on the other hand, has been our least favorite resort. I wouldn't stay there again unless it was the only choice and our days weren't flexible. It's such a large property and too spread out to enjoy all the amenities by walking. The internal bus takes a long time to go all the way around. It's a gorgeous property and anywhere else in the world we might actually have like it. But there isn't any Disney Magic there, and when we're at Disney we want to know it. The Disney decor is very subtle compared to other resorts. Even the cms seem to be a little watered down. We had dinner at the Turf Club, it was only ok. Pricey for what it was. We were on the dining plan that visit (which never works out for us, we have officially given up on it) and I think we ended up oop for that meal because my husband's order wasn't included or would have taken 2 credits. The only bright spot to us was the QS (Artist's Palette, I think). The food there was wonderful and I think it's the best resort QS we've been to.
We were there during Hurricane Matthew. After the storm the cms were not really interested in helping anyone. We were stuck in town for a few days and moved over to All Star Music and were shocked to absolutely love it there. Everything that SSR was missing, ASMu had in spades, even after a storm that had some cms working long hours. The line in the lobby was 2 hours long!

AKL has our heart, for sure. We're headed back next month and can't wait to get there.

Where do you usually rent points? I'm not having much luck with renting points for AKL (either place)

June is inside 7 months, so any points can book AKV. Is there a unit available? Does not matter if you find points if there is no room.

Where do you usually rent points? I'm not having much luck with renting points for AKL (either place)

We usually rent through Dave's DVC and sometimes we get a reservation right away, sometimes it takes a couple of weeks. For our trip next week we rented direct from an owner because we needed 2 2-bedrooms and we were nervous that Dave's wasn't finding the points.
We try to book right at the 11 month mark to get the resort you want.

Who are you trying to book through? Sometimes the larger point values take a little time to come available, but 6 months might be cutting it close for your first choice resort. Have you looked at owner listings? I have been a little nervous, having never done it this way before. I read through the boards and clicked on the old posts of each owner I talked to, hoping to find someone with a rental track record.

We usually rent through Dave's DVC and sometimes we get a reservation right away, sometimes it takes a couple of weeks. For our trip next week we rented direct from an owner because we needed 2 2-bedrooms and we were nervous that Dave's wasn't finding the points.
We try to book right at the 11 month mark to get the resort you want.

Who are you trying to book through? Sometimes the larger point values take a little time to come available, but 6 months might be cutting it close for your first choice resort. Have you looked at owner listings? I have been a little nervous, having never done it this way before. I read through the boards and clicked on the old posts of each owner I talked to, hoping to find someone with a rental track record.

I was looking at dvc rentals. Where do you find owner listings?

I was looking at dvc rentals. Where do you find owner listings?
You can find owners renting their points right here on the DIS on the DVC - Rent/Trade Board. Just log into the DIS and you can see it on the DIS DVC Boards. If you are not logged in, you can't see it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter