SSR or AKL for family trip?

Another vote for AKV @ Jambo. If you book a standard, you still have very good odds at getting a partial savannah view.

The zero entry pool is great. The food is very good. The gift shop is one of the best on property. There are so many things to look at and explore.

AKV is one of my home resorts but I have not stayed at Kidani (I have dined there many times) and I don't ever plan on staying there-my preference.

I have looked at staying at SSR and I like the look of the most recent renovation. My only issue is that while the halls seem miles long at Jambo, the restaurants, gift shop, laundry, and pool are at the same building.

I am biased as I own at SSR, but I vote SSR. I have taken my twins since they were 4 and the thing they were most excited about were the pools! They loved walking around to the different pools (with awesome waterslides). The Paddock Pool has an area for smaller children with smaller waterslides and the Grandstand has a nice pool and a fun little splash pad. There is even a quiet pool for adults at the Carriage House pool.

We stayed at a 2BR Savanna View which my kids loved and then we took a tour of a 2BR at SSR which my wife thought was pretty good because of proximity to Disney Springs. If just one, I think AKL, but if a split stay is in the cards … why not both …
Just did Jambo 1 bedroom to Paddock 1 bedroom - great combination!

The best answer is that you can't go wrong at either resort. You're in WDW, after all, and you can make or break your own time at any of their resorts.
My family is in the minority here as we really do not care for the AKL. We have enjoyed Jiko, but we do not care for Boma (I know, blasphemy around these parts!). Buffets aren't what I call fine-dining. Sanaa is a good place - a bit overrated imo, but if you get a window seat with that bread service, add a star.
The rooms at Kidani can be a lonnnnnnng trek from the elevator. The resort is pretty far from everything, except DAK, and even then you need to hop a bus.
Alas, we have had great times at AKL. The animals are very cool and the theming is top notch. Just not our fave.
SSR has its shortcomings as well, but we prefer it. The restaurants at SSR are nothing special, but you have a myriad of dining options a short walk away at DS (just be braced for crowds at night). There are 3 themed pools, 2 with slides. Three pools have pool bars. The rooms are, imo, quite nice. And with the proper booking/requests, you could have a view of DS or the golf course. If anyone is a golfer, LBV course & pro shop is located on SSR's property. The bus rides to DHS and Epcot aren't overly long, but alas, it's buses everywhere from SSR as well.
Both places are very good. We just don't prefer the Animal Kingdom Lodge. But you and yours might find it an excellent resort!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter