SSR or moderate

SSR or a moderate?

• Total voters

megs1313

DIS Veteran
For the first time, we will need two rooms to fit our family this year. With that in mind, we are needing to mind our resort budget. If you had to choose between renting points to stay at SSR or a moderate stay (probably at CSR, but *maybe* CBR), which would you choose? Feel free to expand on why. Thanks!

Would renting points for a two bedroom or a 3 bedroom fit your family? If so you can probably expand your options.

I voted for two rooms at a moderate. We rented points for the first time ever for our upcoming trip in two weeks and very much regret it. The reservation was not refundable and something came up that requires us to leave a day early. We are losing money on it because of it.

I think you will get a better deal renting points at SSR. Haven’t stayed there yet (September will be first time) we rented points last year at WL and loved it!! It was easy, had a 2 bedroom so we had 2 bathrooms, our own balcony, a full kitchen and washer/dryer. Wish we could do it every trip!! Plus you get the extra evening hours

What's the cost difference? If renting points, do a deep dive into cost real beds etc. before deciding. Renting 2 studios at OKW may be an option. You actually get 4 real beds like at a Mod and it may actually be cheaper.

I agree with pp that renting points are VERY confining. You cannot change the dates and risk losing your money if something comes up. Someone gets sick, a family member dies, a snowstorm cancels your flights, your employer cancels your vacation due to emergency, etc. Life happens and unless you are willing to pay upfront for a really good travel insurance policy that will cover DVC (note that not all policies will cover this caveat of renting "points"), you could be out thousands of dollars with no vacation memories.

I would choose 2 rooms at a moderate. Our family has been doing this our past few trips as we have outgrown having 4 adults in one room. Having 4 REAL beds, 2 full bathrooms, 2 TVs, 2 fridges, etc. is wonderful.

I see you are most likely thinking of CSR and CBR but we prefer POFQ because it is so compact. One bus stop is much easier getting to and from the parks. We really enjoy the food at Sassagoula's but you also have a relaxing boat ride to DS for more dining and shopping outside the hussle and bustle of the parks. Between CSR and CBR, I would choose CBR for the skyliner to EP and DHS as well as access to more food options at Riv, POP, AOA, and the Epcot resorts without having to enter a park or take a bus.

For a family, I’d rent points for a 1bd or larger for the fact that you have a washer/dryer in the room, a full size fridge and kitchen.

Family of 7 here and we usually bring extras with us (grandparents, aunts, cousins, etc)

I would always recommend renting. Yes, there are more restrictions than if you make the reservation through Disney and it is more confining. I think you get a lot more for your buck renting regardless. I don't know the ages of your group, but I enjoy that my family unit can all stay in one 2 bedroom and we can coordinate and I have peace of mind knowing my kids are in the room with me, but mine are still relatively young.

And I don't think SSR is really comparable to a moderate. I know it gets a lot of hate on these boards for not being a true "deluxe" but we absolutely love it. The grounds are beautiful and the proximity to DS opens up a ton of options.

I would also rent points. I love CSR, even over some deluxe resorts that we stayed at. But I love the extra evening hrs for deluxe guests.

Would you utilize the Deluxe after hours if you stay at SSR? If yes I think that definitely gets my vote.

Both CSR and SSR are spread out so multiple bus stops, but SSR gets the boat/walking access to DS. You will also get laundry (if you go 1br) in room at SSR as well as a balcony . The theming between the resorts is personal preference (I prefer CSR but you may not). CSR has more dining options on site, but I feel that's negated by the boat to DS.

One thing to take note at CSR is if there is a convention going on, that may impact dining on site and the type of guest on site.

Another option could be OKW if you want larger rooms, I believe they have the largest DVC rooms.

We did a 1bd at OKWast year and loved it!! That room was enormous! And having a full size table on the patio/balcony was lovely for dining al fresco!

I would also rent points. I love CSR, even over some deluxe resorts that we stayed at. But I love the extra evening hrs for deluxe guests.

That's what I was going to say. SSR is not my favorite, but if I could budget for at least that, I'd do it for the extra evening hours. If I can't swing Deluxe or Villa I just stay Value since Moderate gives you nothing park-benefit-wise over Values.

For the first time, we will need two rooms to fit our family this year. With that in mind, we are needing to mind our resort budget. If you had to choose between renting points to stay at SSR or a moderate stay (probably at CSR, but *maybe* CBR), which would you choose? Feel free to expand on why. Thanks!
The fact you are traveling with a big family you should think about staying at SSR. You can get a full kitchen if you stay in a 1br or larger. YOu will have a bigger space to gather too. Access to free laundry. Not everyone has to stay in a large room others could stay in a studio room to save money.

As someone who has had to leave WDW early in the past and has several times had to change the dates of reservations, I voted for 2 rooms at a Mod. I would not want to be confined to a rented-points reservation.

As a previous poster said, FQ is really great and that's our current go-to resort.

OP, you don't say when you're traveling, so it's possible that discounts will appear for your dates and the price of 2 Mod rooms will end up being much better than it currently seems.

We are not much for part of our group sleeping in the living area. We would want a bedroom for everyone.

For SSR, for us, that would mean a 2 bedroom which is going to be very expensive even if you can get it.

In your case I'd pick 2 rooms at CSR, preferred.

CSR, in our experience has always been very accommodating in giving us multiple rooms near, or next to, each other.

Preferred category also gives you close access to 1st bus stop going to parks, and all undercover walking path to El Centro.

For SSR, for us, that would mean a 2 bedroom which is going to be very expensive even if you can get it.
the price comparison seems like a really weak argument. For 50 weeks a year you can rent a 2 bedroom for less than 42 points a night. At $22 per point that would be $924 for the night maximum. A moderate is going to be what approximately $350 or so a night times 2? You’re already to $700 without accounting for fees or taxes.

Maybe you’d prefer a moderate from Disney vs renting but the prices isn’t going to be some great gap.

We rented DVC points for many years (the only way we could afford the deluxe villas), and while I loved most of them, I did not feel the love for SSR. It was within walking distance of Disney Springs, but in December it was a very dark, lonely walk at night so we didn't utilise it again. The dining was okay, as was the pool, but it didn't have anything outstanding to tempt me back. I love CSR and voted for moderate based on that resort, we're trying POR next year.

the price comparison seems like a really weak argument. For 50 weeks a year you can rent a 2 bedroom for less than 42 points a night. At $22 per point that would be $924 for the night maximum. A moderate is going to be what approximately $350 or so a night times 2? You’re already to $700 without accounting for fees or taxes.

Maybe you’d prefer a moderate from Disney vs renting but the prices isn’t going to be some great gap.

Depends on the time of year but you can get moderates for as low as $240 a night with tax (that’s only looking at May and June 2024) so it’s a big jump cost wise when you’re accounting for multiple days. $450 a night is a big jump IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter