• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR Pathway to DTD

According to the artist conception that I saw, they will be building a new bridge from SSR to DTD. I would guess that it will take awhile.

:earsboy: Bill

Bill, can you post a link to the concept artwork?

DH and I bought into SSR sight unseen. We'll be enjoying our first stay in January. I was going to ask for a Congress Park studio since we love DTD and would enjoy walking. With the pending construction, what area should we request? We do not have children and would like a quiet area. Walking distance to DTD, water view, fireworks view would all be nice.

Thoughts?

The walkway to DD going from the Congress Park area is not going to be available in Nov. The redoing of DD and probably the walkway/bridge is a project that is supposed to last until 2016.

The second walkway is on the other side of SSR next to where the golf course begins. See this map http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...oMuGM2gWnz4HAAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q9QEwAA&dur=973. You will see the pedestrian symbol on the right side. That is where the closed walkway is. The second walkway begins by the golf course -- center bottom of map you will see the golf course symbol and nearby to the lower left of that symbol a bridge going across the water. It is there where the walkway begins. It is not a short walk and takes you to the far west side of DD (where Cirque is), but closest rooms to that walkway, if you want to be near it, are in the Springs (near the original main pool) and Grandstand areas. Near that golf symbol and bridge is also the boat station where you can get the boat to DD.

As far as views go, if you want good view of lake and DD, you really need to stay at Congress Park area.

The bridge itself probably won't take long to build, but it leads into an area of the Marketplace that will have some major construction. My guess is that the new bridge from SSR won't open until all of Disney Springs opens.

I obviously haven't been paying attention. You can't walk from CP to Downtown Dis? How do you get over there now? Ugh. TIA.

I obviously haven't been paying attention. You can't walk from CP to Downtown Dis? How do you get over there now? Ugh. TIA.

In March, Disney announced the "Disney Springs" project which is a major renovation of Downtown Disney particularly the east side/marketplace area to which the pathway from SSR near Congress Park led. Included in that project is the closing and redoing (apparently including a new bridge) of the pathway that led from SSR to DD east side. The announcement included that the entire project would be finished by some time in 2016. It is not clear whether the pathway will be out of operation until then but that risk exists. In any event, you cannot now use that pathway.

As to the other pathway to DD, see my post above. It is on the other side of SSR near the clubhouse for the golf course (same building Artist Point is in) and starts near the boat dock in that area where you can catch a boat to DD. That pathway is closer to units in the Springs and Grandstand areas than Congress Park and it takes you to the very west side of DD where Cirque is. It would seem simpler just to take the boat from the boat dock there.

And, there is also bus service to DTD which seems to run more frequently than other resorts, but that is just an informal observation (because DTD busses can also be used to get back to other sections from Springs)

In March, Disney announced the "Disney Springs" project which is a major renovation of Downtown Disney particularly the east side/marketplace area to which the pathway from SSR near Congress Park led. Included in that project is the closing and redoing (apparently including a new bridge) of the pathway that led from SSR to DD east side. The announcement included that the entire project would be finished by some time in 2016. It is not clear whether the pathway will be out of operation until then but that risk exists. In any event, you cannot now use that pathway.

As to the other pathway to DD, see my post above. It is on the other side of SSR near the clubhouse for the golf course (same building Artist Point is in) and starts near the boat dock in that area where you can catch a boat to DD. That pathway is closer to units in the Springs and Grandstand areas than Congress Park and it takes you to the very west side of DD where Cirque is. It would seem simpler just to take the boat from the boat dock there.

Thanks. Good to know in that it will alter my room request. I like CP because I can walk to DD. guess not for a few years. No biggie. Just means I can try another section.

we just got back after a fantastic 14 night stay at ssr, we stayed at cp to be near the dtd walkway and were disappointed to find the pathway closed. However, we walked from cp bus stop to dt marketplace several times via guard hut/resort exit....we timed it and it took us 5mins! We weren't the only ones using this route.
it was our 1st stay at ssr....we intend to go back, it was a beautiful resort.

glenn

However, we walked from cp bus stop to dt marketplace several times via guard hut/resort exit....we timed it and it took us 5mins! We weren't the only ones using this route.

I was wondering about this. There is no sidewalk along the roadway, right? How safe is this way especially for families with younger kids? I would not want to recommend that families do this if there is no sidewalk. Big buses and trucks come around that curve.

I was wondering about this. There is no sidewalk along the roadway, right? How safe is this way especially for families with younger kids? I would not want to recommend that families do this if there is no sidewalk. Big buses and trucks come around that curve.

Disney is spending the money to build a new bridge from SSR to the Market Place to keep foot traffic away from Buena Vista Drive. They realize the potential hazards and they are taking the steps to avoid them.

Good move Disney. :thumbsup2

:earsboy: Bill

you walk on grass past a pond with a spring, then on the public sidewalk over a small bridge to marketplace. never saw any big trucks, it's not the main entrance, you can see any busses coming and just stand on the grass verge till it passes....they're not going fast! but if you don't feel safe, then stick to the bus. but to get back from marketplace the bus goes to pleasure island, then typhoon lagoon and the other 4 ssr stops before cp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter