• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR would it be worth it to change to a preferred view?

AdamsMum

DIS Veteran
I have a standard view 2 bedroom booked Jan 23-27. At booking time I didn't have enough points for preferred. I've since picked up a small resale at one of my home resorts, so now I have enough for preferred and I checked today and preferred is available for my stay.

Last time I stayed at SSR in a standard view I was lucky to get the Grandstand section and I've requested that through online check in.
Is it worth it to change to a preferred view? It's not really the view I'm concerned about but the location. I'd really not like to be in the Carousel section. We will have a car, and all adults so Disney Springs for dining is a priority.

I know it's terrible, I book and then second guess myself every time. :confused3

Just for us, if DS was a priority during a SSR stay, I would want to assure the group of a preferred location. If you get tucked all the way at the back of the resort, the advantage of walking to DS is minimized! We don't stay SSR very often, but when we do it's because dining/shopping is a priority at DS. Good luck with your decision, and enjoy your trip!!

Just for us, if DS was a priority during a SSR stay, I would want to assure the group of a preferred location. If you get tucked all the way at the back of the resort, the advantage of walking to DS is minimized! We don't stay SSR very often, but when we do it's because dining/shopping is a priority at DS. Good luck with your decision, and enjoy your trip!!
Thanks. It's only a 24 point difference after all.

We stayed one night in carousel before moving to congress park section. We still used our car to get to the Artist pallet and the pool when staying at congress park. I would skip preferred in the future since I always rent a car.

I'd just keep standard and ask for the Paddock. You get the upgraded pool and you can just hop on the internal bus and take 1 stop to Congress Park and walk from there. Lake views from the Paddock rooms are really nice.

To ensure you don’t get Carousel, you’d have to book Preferred. Of course, Carousel is only two buildings while Grandstand and Paddock total nine, so your chances of being in Carousel with Standard are small. Then again, we’ve stayed in Carousel, and if you’re driving anywhere at WDW Carousel is the closest to the SSR entrance.

I enjoy Congress Park at SSR strictly for walking distance to Disney Springs which is a must for us. I’m not sure if I will ever stay at SSR and not have Congress Park as my preferred location. Being able to take the bus back from another resort to DS and pick up a dessert/drink on the way back to the room or some merch is such a huge plus and even if you’re not getting anything from DS just being able to take the bus from any resort to DS and walk back to your resort is huge and most other resorts don’t have that. It’s the closest thing to resort to resort transportation aside from the shared bus loops between like Poly and VGF for example or FW and WL.

Last edited:
I plan to book at SSR in about 2 weeks. I was thinking I would select a standard room and request Grandstand. From a map it looks like that is close to the boat to DS. Since we are traveling in August I would rather not walk.

It will be 4 days so 32 points different for standard compared to preferred. I would have enough points to do either.

Why is that? I've never stayed at SSR, and I'm considering staying there sometime.

It "feels" quieter to us than when we stayed at Congress Park or The Springs and we don't mind the walk bc we like to get steps in on our vacations.

Not worth the risk of getting Carousel for me if we're planning a lot of time at DS.

Not worth the risk of getting Carousel for me if we're planning a lot of time at DS.

Good point. We stayed at Carousel once and not a fan of that area, but we've had great luck staying at the Paddock when we book standard. I'd really like to try the Grandstand sometime too.

I’m never in a rush to do anything at SSR, if I’m there I have no schedule or plans…..

that being said if am saying at SSR a lot of my down time would be at the springs so preferred could be nice….

My husband and I are staying in SSR Jan 11-15 and just had this debate. I stayed in Paddock for a RunDisney event last Nov and thought it was fine... very quiet (and if my kids were with me I would probably ask for Paddock just for the pool area). The walk wasn't too bad to Disney Springs, but we did go through Congress Park every time which made me feel a little jealous. For our trip in Jan, it's only 6 points difference so we splurged for the preferred section with the goal of congress park.

I book Standard View every time with no regrets. Usually request The Paddock and get it. If we happened to be assigned to The Carousel and wanted to visit Disney Springs, I'd hop on the first Disney bus that passed by and ride it to the Congress Park stop. Easy-peasy.

I tend to book preferred when staying there so I can get Congress Park. I have stayed at Grandstand twice when staying in Standard - and it wasn't too bad when the boats were running, but without the boats, it's a longer haul to Disney Springs as you walk across 'the back way' hitting the west end by Cirque Du Soleil.

On most occasions when I was in a standard view room, I requested Paddock, and put in a specific request for the building with rooms 6501-6836. That building is directly across the street from Congress Park, and walkability to Disney Springs is the same as if you were in Building 4 (2501 - 2836) of Congress Park. The Congress Park bus stop is closer than the Paddock one. It's a nice compromise if you stay standard and like access to Disney Springs - but you're requesting it so there's not a guarantee (I have gotten it most times I requested it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter