Sssshew! I Cant Believe The Cost For Our Family Of 6

PAMFORDHAM

Earning My Ears
I have been visiting the boards alot lately and getting all the budgeting ideas I can. But no matter what I do the total is still around
$4,500. This is steep, but our family is going to Disney World if I have to sell my blood to get us there (I mean this literally.) I have been leaning towards staying at HIFS, the free breakfast and kids eat free options definatly help. Although if I can cut my budget any where I think it would be lodging. Is there any other hotels a bit cheaper that still have free buffett breakfasts? We will be visityin the second week of January. My kids 11, 10, 7, and 4 are thinking their every thought Disney World. I want it to be the best vacation in the world, without sending us to the poor house.
I have been figuring
AIRFARE $1,200
TICKETS $1,500
HOTEL $ 700
RENT CAR$ 300
FOOD $ 800

How many days/nights do you plan to spend in Orlando, and how many theme parks do you plan to visit?
OrlandoInfo...

We hope to visit all WDW parks pus US/IOA, I hope to stay at least 7 nights so we can do all we want to do. It may be our only trip to the world.

We are a family of seven going. Our cost is going to be about $4500 as well. We are driving though, not flying. Otherwise, we would be looking at $5600. We are doing MK, US, Blizzard Beach, SeaWorld, and Discovery Cove. I am not really sure where you could cut down honestly. I will let you know if I come up with anything, though.

I've read a posting which indicated the "Kids eat free" was offset by the high cost of the meal for adults. We take along an electric cooler and eat breakfast (and occassionally lunch) at the hotel. You could always pack sandwiches if you weren't planning on returning for lunch - this saved alot on food costs. We also bring along an electric rice cooker - we make rice, soup, cream of corn, Kraft Dinner - it's as good as having a hot plate.

I've also seen a family of 5 in the ASM - I know there are rules as to how many are allowed in a room, but.... In this case the parents had one bed, the son had one to himself and the daughter and her friend slept on the floor (a little extreme in my opinion). However, having said that, we have stayed at CBR, PO, DL and the ASMu, ASMo and ASSp resorts and the AS make the most sense financially. We like to stay onsite, even though it costs more, but we don't take the time to really enjoy the resorts, so it makes little sense to shell out over $140 per night when all we use the room for is sleeping and getting ready to go in the a.m. Getting a good deal at an onsite hotel is probably financially feasible for you at less than what you will be spending at the HIFS (I think the deals at WDW will get better due to their declining attendance), but I also think off-site rates are going to soften as well (i.e. come down). In an economy which is stagnant at best, if consumer spending slows, there's going to be an awful lot of empty rooms with a correspondingly high rate of competition to fill them. Hopefully you'll be able to take advantage.

We stayed at Hampton Oak Plantation and for half of that you can get a full kitchen and two bedrooms, and 2 baths. Do time share..we got tickets and lodging for 4 for under 400.00. We got got the 3 day passes at Universal/IOA.

Have you considered renting a house? We are renting a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom in august for $550 a monthe through vrbo.com. We will have a full kitchen plus washer and dryer and a pool in the yard. Figured we would save a lot just eating breakfast in and a late night sandwich when we get back at night. We will eat one big meal in the afternoon at which ever park we are in.

We are renting a house also and from the owners no realtors commission either. 6 bedrooms and has a separate (wing) kids apartment, pool and hot tub. What type of car are you renting? 300 for the week is high in fla. or is a mini van? Did you try Americar they are the cheapest at MCO airport. Hope it helps. Ill give the email address of the owners of the rental houses if you want.. Alot cheaper in Jan than in the summer. Good Luck you can do it!!!

that you may want to check out is Holiday Inn Maingate West which also has kid suites that are pretty similar to HIFS if interested and they do have a kids stay and eat free program.

Their rates might be a little less steep than HIFS and this property is also located only 1.5 miles from the Disney maingate and read that they last underwent renovation in 1997 and also listed as a 3 star property. I looked at photos of the outside hotel/rooms on numerous sites and they looked nice also found a favorable review of this place on www.mouseplanet.com

Also, you can check www.floridakiss.com and www.go2orlando.com because they have all kinds of accomdations in many different price ranges that are very close to Disney. Hope this helps; have a great time!

Have you thought of renting a house or condo? These can be had really cheap at that time of the year, from about $79 for a two bedroom condo to $99 a night for a three bedroom house. These have full kitchens. You can save a ton on food by eating breakfast and dinner at home.
Check out: Premier vacation homes on this site
or www.orlandovacationhomes.com

The best part is most of them are only 10-15 minutes from the gates of WDW. We would get up very early, eat a big breakfast, leave by 8am, bring along snacks, and leave the parks by 5pm. Then we would either eat at a restaurant on the way home or order in a pizza or something. Some nights we would go back to a park for fireworks or more rides, some nights just stay home and swim in our private pool! This saved us some serious money over staying on site and paying $$$ for their food.

You probably can get some deals on airfare this fall for a Jan. trip. Keep checking sites.

Have you thought about Priceline? You could get great hotels near Disney for probably a really great price. You'd have to get 2 rooms, but if you get them for around $40, then it is still cheaper. The uncertainty of which hotel would accept your bid might deter you from using Proiceline for the lodging, but certainly you can shave off a good bit of money by using Priceline for the rental car. You can pick the size(mini van I guess) and you'll probably save a bunch off your estimate that way.

Well, lets see if we can save you a little money. I'll give you some bad news first, though--the trip always costs more than you think it will. Always. I'd say about $500-$1000 more. Because you just forget to account for the little things--gas, parking costs, taxes--and can't account for those emergency things--ice cream for everyone in the park because the heat is making you die kind of things. However....lets see what we can do!

Originally posted by PAMFORDHAM
AIRFARE $1,200
Now, currently, the best fare I could find for you (assuming you are flying out of Salt Lake) was $230 per person, including taxes. I found this on www.Hotwire.com. My guess is, however, that as the date approaches, you will be able to find better airfares. I sincerely think you'll be able to fly for $150 per person if you are diligent and are willing to make connecting flights. Here is a strategy to help you do that.

The best way I have found to keep abreast of airfares is set up a free My Yahoo(www.my.yahoo.com) account, and enable the best fares option. This is especially useful if there is more than one airport you can fly out of. Check this daily because the fares can change in a heartbeat! Once you've found a fare you are willing to accept, first see if you can book it directly through the airline. If you can--go for it. If you can't, you can see what you can get on www.Hotwire.com or www.Orbitz.com. If those don't bring you a fare to your satisfaction, you can try using Priceline. A good priceline flight strategy is to bid about $50 less than the best rate you see advertized elsewhere--or bid less if you have any 'free bonus money' you can add to the fare. A good place to get bonus money opportunities or priceline bidding strategies in general is www.BiddingForTravel.com. It's a forum much like this one. Now, assuming you are able to get fares for $150/person, your airfare costs would be brought down to $900.

TICKETS $1,500
Well, theme park ticket prices are solid, so no advice on how to save here, other than buying for less days, and utilizing the pool/activities at the hotel/resort where you stay. This is a good idea, anyway--with a very young one in your group, you're going to want the down time! Or, you can try combining your costs with your.....

HOTEL $ 700
You've gotten some excellent suggestions here so far, the best by far being finding a place that will have a full kitchen. This will save you more money than any other option, IMO. Food in the Orlando area is notoriously expensive and notoriously a bad value for the money. To save on this type of accomodation, try looking at ebay. Many people/brokers sell their weeks for vacation homes or timeshares there, and you can get a good bargain. Just be sure you are buying from someone with a high ebay rate so you know they are a reputable seller.

Another option is to look into a deal with a timeshare resort. They will often offer you a discount in exchange for taking a timeshare tour--in your case, this may be a worthwhile tradeoff, since you can often get tickets at a discount, too. You will need to meet minimum earnings requirements to qualify--I think it is generally around $40k/year. As an example, I went to the site I used to book our trip last year, FloridaVacationStore.com PLEASE NOTE: this is something of a misnomer. Really, all it is is a vehicle for CRI (Westgate) to schedule timeshare vacations for potential clients. For a party of 6, with 4 day park hopper passes, 7 nights, in a 2 bedroom villa with a fully equipped kitchen chacking in January 6, 2002, the total cost was $1700+tax. Lets assume $200 in taxes, so $1900. Downside--you have to go thru a timeshare sales presentation. Just say no, no, no, no and no and you'll make it thru alive. :)

RENT CAR$ 300
Again, this seems fair. Go to the ground transportation section of mousesavers.com and you may save a few bucks. You can also try priceline, but be aware that for this specific area (Orlando) you can usually find as good or better deals than you'll find on priceline. However, it costs you nothing to try!! And you could save $50 or so. Just remember to add the $6 service charge pricelines charges to your final costs. Oh! and when bidding, you are bidding PER DAY, not by the week. So don't overbid! So, for the time being, lets assume $300 for car rental.
FOOD $ 800
Now, if you are planning to stay in a hotel, and be in Orlando for 7 days, even with 'kids eat free' programs, this is grossly unrealistic. It assumes $6.33/meal per person. And unless you eat at McDonalds for every meal, that's just not gonna happen. If you stay in a hotel--please don't hate me--you're going to need to double this cost. If, however, you stay at a place with a full kitchen, it is very realistic. Lets assume you eat breakfast every night in your kitchen. And dinner for 5 nights. Assuming groceries for that will run you $200, that leaves you $600 for 9 meals, or about $12 per person per meal. If you economize for some of those meals--fast food--you could manage one or two lunches at the fun, cheeky restaurants in the parks. So again, lets assume you economize, and keep your food costs at $800.

Okay, so to tally it up: if you are able to get the prices I think you can, your grand total would be:

AIRFARE=$900
ACCOMODATIONS/TICKETS=$1900
RENTAL CAR=$300
FOOD=$800
TOTAL=$3900
Now, lets throw in any $500 for unforeseen expenses....
GRAND TOTAL=$4400

Now, the other end of making this trip work is SAVING/EARNING money for it. Create a seperate account or even just an accounting on paper of money earmarked (er...should that be mouse-earmarked? <grin>) for the trip. Here are some suggestions to get as much money as possible into that account:

hold a yard sale
pack all school/work lunches
eat out less (if at all)
make cheaper meals (pasta, beans, etc)
buy second hand clothes at yard sales/consignment shops
go without new clothes, and make do with what you have
carpool

You may get some grumbling from your kids about it, but I bet it will cease when you tell them this is for the disney trip. Is PB&J for lunch worth a ride on the tower of terror? HECK YES!

Anyway.....I hope this long winded message helped! Hey, it helped me put off cleaning my bathrooms for another hour! Off to do that now!

Susanne

Hotel Kingdom.com will do all the work for you ! They will find you a vacation home or hotel suite to comfortably accomodate 6 persons....they will also guarantee the lowest rates on the internet ! Should you choose, they can also put you in a great timeshare resort for up to $59.90 per night.....resort quality, very spacious ! Good luck !

Thanks so much for all of the great tips. Wow susanne you really know your stuff, thanks sol much for taking the time to share all the great info with me. I am definately going to take some of your advice.

I just have to add, Susanne, that is some of the best, most thoughtful and well-researched info I have seen on these boards. Great advice and really well explained, too. Thanks for your input!

Thanks so much for the compliments, Pam and Simon! :) I had the time, and enjoy puzzling these things out, so it was no problem! Glad it was useful!!

Susanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter