Stacktester thanks for the 9A tip

I'll be trying this route in a couple of weeks. I have the utmost confidence in Donnie and am positive I will find this route much better than 95 thru Jax or the 295 bypass route.

Is this route mentioned in a thread? Or can someone let me in on the little secret?

Is this route mentioned in a thread? Or can someone let me in on the little secret?

Donnie's been talking about this for a little while, and he and I have talked about it a couple of times on John's chat board. If you look at a recent map, it will show 9a bypass which goes East of 95 in Jacksonville. It looks much shorter than 295 and doesn't go right thru town like 95 so it avoids all that traffic.

Fantastic, thanks! We are heading out in 15 days!!!

Donnie - Question for ya. I noticed on the 9A route that it crosses two rather large rivers near Blout Island. Now I have a problem driving over tall bridges especially the ones with metal grates on them. How bad are the bridges on this route??

Donnie - Question for ya. I noticed on the 9A route that it crosses two rather large rivers near Blout Island. Now I have a problem driving over tall bridges especially the ones with metal grates on them. How bad are the bridges on this route??

The bridge near Blount Island is the Dames Point Bridge. It is very high due to big ships going under it. It has 3 lanes on each side so just go thru the middle. They have the outside lanes closed I think both directions for painting the cable covers. There is no metal grating, all paved.

Thanks for the info. So much better than I-95 through Jacksonville.

Isn't 9A just the eastern part of the I-295 bypass and not really a local road but part of the I-295 beltway around Jax. We usually take the west bypass since we stay at NAS Jax on the way down. I agree I-95 thru Jax is a bad route and the mess at the St. John's river 10 or 15 years ago the last time we went that way was a mess when towing.

Larry

The bridge near Blount Island is the Dames Point Bridge. It is very high due to big ships going under it. It has 3 lanes on each side so just go thru the middle. They have the outside lanes closed I think both directions for painting the cable covers. There is no metal grating, all paved.

OH MY GOSH!!! I just goggled the bridge and you weren't kidding about it being very high. DH is trying to convince me that I can handle it. We will be driving with two vehicles so I'm stuck with driving also and I won't be able to chicken out (like I have in the past). I could tell you many stories about me and bridges but it would be too embarrassing.

Isn't 9A just the eastern part of the I-295 bypass and not really a local road but part of the I-295 beltway around Jax. We usually take the west bypass since we stay at NAS Jax on the way down. I agree I-95 thru Jax is a bad route and the mess at the St. John's river 10 or 15 years ago the last time we went that way was a mess when towing.

Larry

Basically yes. There is a reason for the different name but, I can't remember what that is at the time. Now watch Donnie show up and point out something that I don't know ( but should:lmao: )or missed.

We usually avoid Jax entirely when going to the fort, that eliminates any of the tricky roads up there.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter