Standing for the National Anthem

Do you stand for the National Anthem when it's broadcast on television?

• Always

Votes: 36 19.5%
  • If I'm already up, yes.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Rarely

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Never

Votes: 127 68.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
Well, the Olympics is kind of a special case, because while only one anthem is played, three flags are raised. More often than not, at least at the Summer Games, one of them is the US flag, which makes the point moot.

Americans are rather unique in their veneration of their national flag; most other countries (not counting dictatorships) don't have such etiquette rules around sporting events, and don't play anthems except at international matches.

We still play the anthem when two Canadian teams are playing (for hockey at least)

anytime I’ve been somewhere where the American anthem is played, I’ve always seen everyone standing for it.

I learned the words for your anthem through hockey lol

For TV? Never.

In person, maybe if it's for a special event.

At work, they sometimes play the anthem outside in the morning. I'm not going to be late getting to work by standing at attention. And I wouldn't stand at attention just for hearing it outside of any significant event, nor just because someone pressed "play" on a recording.

PS, we have a guy at work that will even stand in the rain if the anthem is played outside on the walk from the parking lot, then come in soaked and late.
726971616f730d0a8816a156659b9759_large.png

We stand when it is on tv because I wanted to teach my kids about respecting the flag and how fortunate we are to live in America. They yet so much negativity in the community. Our son is very patriotic and totally gets it. He’s also a scout. Or daughter is still learning.

I stand in person. Not when watching on TV, though I can't remember the last time I watched a game that carried the playing of the national anthem. Usually the TV cuts to a commercial break at that point.

Yep. I'm dating myself but the Montreal Expos vs Toronto Blue Jays. I'm from the US but we frequently attended ball games in Montreal and once in Toronto. Stand out of respect for the other country.
I believe the networks only televise the anthem when it's a major event like the Super Bowl and/or the singer is someone famous.

I don't stand on purpose when it's on TV, but I'm sure there are times I was already standing. I do at events.

I believe the networks only televise the anthem when it's a major event like the Super Bowl and/or the singer is someone famous.
Super Bowl the Anthem is definitely televised. I think the conference championship games are also. NCAA Final 4s? NCAA National Football Championship game?

Hey, at least you guys know your national anthem! I'd bet that hardly ANYONE here in the UK knows the words to ours and a distressingly low number would recognise it altogether! We're more familiar with our "unofficial" national anthem, I Vow to Thee, My Country.

Hey, at least you guys know your national anthem! I'd bet that hardly ANYONE here in the UK knows the words to ours and a distressingly low number would recognise it altogether! We're more familiar with our "unofficial" national anthem, I Vow to Thee, My Country.
You guys have a royal anthem and 4 unofficial anthems right? Or are they all official for each country in the United Kingdom?

Absolutely not. We don't usually even stand in person.

My retired Marine Officer husband's favorite thing to say is "I fought so that Americans don't have to stand when the anthem is played."

He firmly believes that being coerced or forced into doing so goes against the very freedom that he and so many others fought to protect.

Absolutely not. We don't usually even stand in person.

My retired Marine Officer husband's favorite thing to say is "I fought so that Americans don't have to stand when the anthem is played."

He firmly believes that being coerced or forced into doing so goes against the very freedom that he and so many others fought to protect.
I respect this so ****ing much. Bravo.

Nope. I don't feel it needs played at national events. I get it for international events like the World Cup, Olympics, etc. , but NFL, MLB (except for when they play Toronto), doesn't need an anthem played before the games. Why do I need to pledge my allegiance to the USA before a baseball game?
I never understood this either. It’s also played at youth sporting events too. I also don’t understand why the pledge is still done at school every day.

It's played at every Nascar race (trucks, Xfinity and Cup) every weekend. TBH I mute it, so no I don't stand at home and I don't stand in person.

I don't stand when it's on tv. I live near a base and also don't stop when I hear Retreat wafting past. (If I were on base, obviously I would stop.)

I do stand at in person events, also for the color guard passing by in parades, and also for any veteran groups or other military groups carrying flags in parades.

I've noticed at parades I've been to in the last 20 years or so that a lot of people no longer stand even for the color guard at the beginning of parades.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter