STAR WARS: GALACTIC STARCRUISER Official Information & Questions Thread

It was overpriced for my budget.... but my guess is it was also rather costly to build and operate under the current design.
But the thing is it's built now, so the money invested in the building and technology are.... just there. My guess would be the will rework it, so it's operationally less costly to run and then come back with a lower cost product...

I'm bummed. It just wasn't practical for us. DH only has so much time off. My Dad's 60th birthday cruise to Alaska got bumped for 2021. Then we moved last summer. Then YDS was dxed with cancer in January. We were supposed to do Disney with my Mom for her 60th birthday over Spring Break, but postponed that so as not to travel with a cancer baby. When we were planning that initially, I suggested to DH that we do the Starcruiser for a few nights before joining my extended family. He didn't like the cost for such a short amount of time.

We have 4 kids. After YDS turned 3, we wouldn't fit in one cabin. Before that would we really want to shove 6 people in one room anyway?
I asked DH if he wanted to do it for our anniversary this year, and he didn't. That's when we were in the dregs of the cancer dx anyway, so we probably would have cancelled.

That 18 months just wasn't enough time for me to work something into my travel schedule.

I feel like Disney Marketing lost the story when it came out as a Star Wars hotel. The number of people posting about it needing a pool showed how they weren't able to explain what the experience really was.
I think the number of people posting about it as a Star Wars hotel and its lack of pool demonstrates there's a larger market for that type of experience than what was offered. While I enjoyed the sequel movies, my connection is to the originals so even if I could justify the price of the Galactic Starcruiser, I just wasn't as interested. In order to sustain this idea, they needed a clear plan to offer multiple stories or timelines. I get that alternating every cruise would have been logistically near impossible but if they had announced every 6 months would have a different experience, I would have found that more interesting. Even so, given the choice between the role-playing experience and a Star Wars themed hotel (with pool), I'd pick the hotel. I think the market for expensive role-playing experiences is just too small to sustain.

Its too small to be a normal hotel and make any kind of profit.

I just keep seeing people say open it as a hotel.

So these people wouldn't spend $2.5k/night for an immersive experience with included food and a day at HS but these people will supposedly spend $1.5k/night for a room with a virtual balcony and to simply look around?

I think the number of people posting about it as a Star Wars hotel and its lack of pool demonstrates there's a larger market for that type of experience than what was offered.

There is a number of people who were posting about the Star Cruiser before the pricing was known as well. The issue is this is going to be a premium hotel that isn't premium except for having a unique theme.

These rooms are essentially the cheapest room type on a cruise..... yet some expect people to pay at or above VGF pricing?

The major miss here is if this was closer to HS they could have attached it as a new attraction. I heard people talk about a escape room/murder mystery offering as well and while I think that might be more attractive it as well would be drastically overpriced.

I’ve searched for evidence the AP and Visa discounts still exist and have yet to find it
I think they just announced that they're not offering any discounts for new bookings. Skimmed this article and this stood out to me

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-discounts-dropped/

According to the company, discounts will not be offered for the remaining voyage dates when bookings resume on May 26, 2023. However, guests who were booked on voyages after September 30, 2023 will have the opportunity to move to an earlier voyage at a discount of up to 50% off (h/t Scott Gustin).

Actually just thinking they might be able to do a restaurant that you enter from HS and do it like that of Space 220. So maybe you could attach it to the park.

Not sure how its all set up but they could then just close off all the room sections.

Those who went to both Space and this possibly can comment is it setup in a way that it could turn into just a restaurant?

Also the theme could be a derelict Space Cruiser who's Captain couldn't pay his bills so it was impounded by the First Order and turned in to an eating establishment for the elite to get off world?

I keep torturing myself by returning to this thread.

One thing Disney got wrong on this was to allow so many people from those initial media cruises to categorize this as a "hotel" and compare the price to the cost of staying at a deluxe resort. It's not the same at all. I have to think if Disney plans on turning this into a small hotel or DVC resort (with the addition of a small pool and gym), people will then complain about the overall look and feel of things like the Bridge.

But that's just it. This was never intended to be something like Smuggler's Run, where you have a few minutes to believe you are walking through the Millennium Falcon, automatically recognizing the interior from all of the movies. Instead, it was the experience that made Galactic Starcruiser special. The Bridge did look a little cheap and underwhelming on Day 1. But go through Bridge training, or go through the mission near the end where you actually have to apply your training as part of the story. That's when it all paid off - at least for me.

The same thing was true for me at Galaxy's Edge. It's a perfectly fine area of the parks, albeit heavy on the merchandise. But when we returned to Galaxy's Edge during our Galactic Starcruiser stay, Galaxy's Edge finally felt special and connected. The plot of Smuggler's Run tied together to the Galactic Starcruiser story. My wife and I were both siding with the rebels, so Rise suddenly felt like it had importance to what we were doing.

Sure, we probably looked a little silly walked around Galaxy's Edge, pointing our phones at random parts of the environment. But in that moment, it all made sense and felt right.

That's the part none of the video reviews have ever captured. People can dismiss Galactic Starcruiser as an overpriced hotel with forced entertainment. I will look back on it fondly as the closest I will ever get to being in a Star Wars show or movie. It was awesome, and I would gladly give up any other Disney vacation we have planned to do Galactic Starcruiser again.

I do think that the Starcruiser proved there is a market for a Star Wars themed hotel. Lots of people didn’t understand the concept or didn’t want to pay for the experience. There should be a new hotel that’s a heroes hotel. Have a Star Wars wing and a Marvel wing and even a Pixar wing. Or just have a Star Wars hotel with a Luke wing and a Rey wing etc. But I don’t see retrofitting the Starcruiser. It wasn’t meant for that. People will walk into the lobby and ask what the fuss is about. It was about the cast and the interaction not just the building.

One thing Disney got wrong on this was to allow so many people from those initial media cruises to categorize this as a "hotel" and compare the price to the cost of staying at a deluxe resort.

I think they could have done more to improve the media output but in the end it still comes out drastically more than other vacation options.

That's the part none of the video reviews have ever captured.

I remember seeing various things about the missions on planet and such in videos. There isn't a way to really show that though without it look less than optimal.

The primary issue I always had was that it was meant to be this interactive story but its one that you essentially have 20 other people with you at each turn and in HS you have earthlings all over the place. So essentially my VR experience at home is almost more impressive.

I think the failure by Disney was not allowing you to set your own length of stay. Make it so the ship stayed in orbit with overnights going through hyperspace. If they had made it less singular story driven and focused on essentially side quests more you would have ended up with less congestion as well. You could even incentivize off hour actions for people who wake up at 6am or stay up til 3am to being actioning things around the ship.

Another thing is why couldn't you go on planet after park hours for the Smugglers Run or Rise mission as well? Remove the park day packed area when this occurs to make it more intimate.

This goes to a saying some people throw around but when everyone is special then no one is special and I think that rings true for what the Starcruiser 1.0 version was. Who knows if there will ever be a 2.0 but the 1.0 had flaws with how it was setup.

Let me know if this isn’t the best place to ask this, or if I’d be better off making a separate thread.
I’m looking for opinions from people who took young kids with them. Our boys are 3 and 5, and love Star Wars. They were obsessed with the Storm Troopers and Kylo Ren at galaxy’s edge and just wanted to follow them around.
We were originally planning on waiting until they were older to take them on the Starcruiser, but that’s obviously no longer an option. We’ll be at Disney in September for my oldest birthday, so theoretically could book one of the last trips.
My question is, if you took younger kids, what was your experience? Was it worth it? Did they enjoy it? Should I go ahead and book it?

We booked a cruise on Wednesday night for the end of June, the next day the announcement was made about closing down. We almost thought about waiting until the next day to call, so I am very glad that we didn't. We ended up with a 30% discount for AP, but they wouldnt let us use the post trip discount for rooms...so I guess we will just book those separately. Anyway, very excited to be able to experience this before its too late.

Let me know if this isn’t the best place to ask this, or if I’d be better off making a separate thread.
I’m looking for opinions from people who took young kids with them. Our boys are 3 and 5, and love Star Wars. They were obsessed with the Storm Troopers and Kylo Ren at galaxy’s edge and just wanted to follow them around.
We were originally planning on waiting until they were older to take them on the Starcruiser, but that’s obviously no longer an option. We’ll be at Disney in September for my oldest birthday, so theoretically could book one of the last trips.
My question is, if you took younger kids, what was your experience? Was it worth it? Did they enjoy it? Should I go ahead and book it?

I don't have exact links but go to articles, but Brooke McDonald (Instagram account here) has written multiple articles about taking her 2 boys (her youngest was 6 when they did their first one)

(edited to add the link to Instagram!)

Last edited:
With how much it has felt like WDW has been trying to push out those with lower incomes I admit it is satisfying to watch their most expensive hotel be an epic failure in less than 2 years.

Quite simple for me. Either the price needed to be lower, or the stay longer/more extras included.

The price point, combined with the short stay and lack of any significant extras at the parks, made this a no go for too many people.

Actually just thinking they might be able to do a restaurant that you enter from HS and do it like that of Space 220. So maybe you could attach it to the park.

Not sure how its all set up but they could then just close off all the room sections.

Those who went to both Space and this possibly can comment is it setup in a way that it could turn into just a restaurant?

Also the theme could be a derelict Space Cruiser who's Captain couldn't pay his bills so it was impounded by the First Order and turned in to an eating establishment for the elite to get off world?
I doubt it will happen, but if there is no more overnight stays at the facility, a restaurant seems like the best idea. There is no Batuu table service. There is woefully insufficient seating at the eateries that do exist, except maybe DB7. They could make it a prix fixe. They already have menus, a bar, a kitchen. You take the shuttle over, and get to visit the bridge before your seating, making it a whole experience. And there's already a gift shop built in to part us from more of our cash--gladly. It would be DHS's version of CRT, complete with Olympic-sport reservation Hunger Games and sky-high pricing.
The other thing I think they could do is sell photo sessions. I would pay a lot to get my family photographed in that environment in our full cosplays. They ban Batuu as an option for the DHS Capture Your Moment shoots, so this would give SW fans a chance for portraits.
Between the meal and the photos, you could easily get $1000 from my family for what? 2-3 hours there, tops?
But it feels impossible 😭

My husband has a deep and meaningful 40-year relationship with Star Wars, and quite literally started sobbing this morning when we got the news. I'm not a big Disney follower but have been on disboards for years and have found everyone to be so helpful and informative.

I will now be trying to book my family of three for literally anytime before this thing closes. Does anyone who is more in the know than me want to give an over/under on our chance of success?

My husband has a deep and meaningful 40-year relationship with Star Wars, and quite literally started sobbing this morning when we got the news. I'm not a big Disney follower but have been on disboards for years and have found everyone to be so helpful and informative.

I will now be trying to book my family of three for literally anytime before this thing closes. Does anyone who is more in the know than me want to give an over/under on our chance of success?

If you’re flexible on dates, shouldn’t be too difficult

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter